homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Jackson not guilty (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jackson not guilty
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 14:52      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Jackson cleared of all charges. Comments or reactions from anyone? Personally, I always felt he wasn't guilty - ok, so the man's a bit of a prat IMHO, but the charges just seemed too extreme without enough evidence to back them up.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 15:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just grateful that the trial is over - I really don't want to hear any more about some pointless, talentless nobody weeping and faking illnesses all over the radio. Maybe the world will go back to proper news... like Big Brother, or the latest plot in Neighbours. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 15:18      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOh, isn't that Craig a cow?. Do you reckon that Saskia and Maxwell will get it on? Isn't Derek a tool? And why didn't they let them stay in the boxes till they starved?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 15:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
OOh, isn't that Craig a cow?. Do you reckon that Saskia and Maxwell will get it on? Isn't Derek a tool? And why didn't they let them stay in the boxes till they starved?

Sorry, Meester - I no speaka dee Eenglish. *puts fingers in ears* La la la la ... [Wink]

(Ok - I'll admit it - I've been following it.. sorta... I'm _such_ a hypocrite!)

--------------------

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 15:34      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He made Thriller... Thriller man" - Dave Chappelle

Lawyer: "So you believe that Michael Jackson is innocent?"
Dave: "Yes"
Lawyer: "Would you let your kids stay at his Neverland ranch?"
Dave: FSCK NO!

so yeah. personally i think he is a wreck and should just keep to himself, and perhaps give paul mccartney the rights to beatles songs

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 15:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
...personally i think he is a wreck and should just keep to himself, and perhaps give paul mccartney the rights to beatles songs

Well, who the Hell cares if McCartney has the ability to make even more hundreds of millions - but your's is a salient point - all this crap about Jacko being broke - yeah, right - pull the other one.

The thing that bugs me the most is the idea that all his play-acting and whining just may have tipped the jury in his favour. I can imagine his very expensive legal team telling him to make it look as if he's dying.

Expect to see him as right as rain for his next public appearance. What a fecking joke.

I dearly wish I'd been on the jury - just think how much cash they (allegedly) might have recieved. [Wink]

edit: "Just goes to show that American justice is the best that money can buy." - some guy on BBC website. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 16:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how much the payoff was myself. The verdict was absolute bullshit. [Roll Eyes] I hope maybe this whole experience has given him a clue that he needs some professional help, and I don't mean high-priced defense lawyers. He's an alcoholic and a drug abuser as well as a child molester.

There's been talk of him leaving the country if he was found not guilty and going to Africa or somewhere. That's probably so that he can go to a country that's not as high profile and he can do his molesting unnoticed and with help from payoffs to the government, keep everything hush-hush. [Mad]

Fsck Michael Jackson. I am really dumbfounded as to why anyone thinks he is a musical genius. I can't fathom why he is popular. [ohwell]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 16:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would a jury take so long to deliberate only to return a 'not guilty' verdict on all counts. To make it look good, perhaps? Something smells bad - and I don't mean my socks.
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 16:31      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guilty or not guilty, it takes a unanimous vote to give a verdict in criminal cases. They probably needed the time to convince the one person on the jury with sense to vote with the rest of them. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 16:46      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Why would a jury take so long to deliberate only to return a 'not guilty' verdict on all counts. To make it look good, perhaps? Something smells bad - and I don't mean my socks.

have you ever had jury duty, it's so fsking awesome
Free food (really good food at that)
Free Room in a nice hotel
You don't even have to go home at that
its like a vacation, that you don't have to pay for, not even taxes, its not that they were trying to make a good verdict or look good ; [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 17:17      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
...the charges just seemed too extreme without enough evidence to back them up.

Well, when my brother was accused of child molestation, the prosecuting attorney and the detective in charge were virtually foaming at the mouth in their determination to convict him. The evidence was pretty flimsy there, too, and he was also found innocent (No money involved on our part either; his attorney was a public defender).

I suspect the irrational aggressiveness stems from:
1) A fear of a knee-jerk backlash if they are perceived as "going easy on a child molester."
2) The tendency for people to believe that children are innocent and therefore don't lie.
3) The general gut reaction against child molesters.

It seems obvious that Jackson has issues, and probably shouldn't be around kids either way, but I'm not convinced the child molestation accusations are true, either.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 17:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think for a second that this means the Michael Jackson jokes are gonna stop. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 17:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Guilty or not guilty, it takes a unanimous vote to give a verdict in criminal cases. They probably needed the time to convince the one person on the jury with sense to vote with the rest of them. [Roll Eyes]

Yes, well, if you want to employ logic and common sense in your reasoning, then you're quite correct... but I think you're being rather unfair to those of us who have allowed seething irrationality to get the upper hand. [Wink]

(i.e. - I've just realized how completely stupid my previous post was. )

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 18:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
its like a vacation, that you don't have to pay for, not even taxes, its not that they were trying to make a good verdict or look good ; [Roll Eyes]

Sorry, alfrin, I have actually served on a jury. I didn't get free food or a free room. (The jury I was on wasn't sequestered. Neither was the Jacko jury.) It was a murder trial, that took about a week from start to finish. (The question wasn't whether the guy was guilty or not, it was more like "what's he actually guilty of?" Second-degree murder was the verdict.)

That was back in California. I haven't been called up in Colorado yet, but I understand Arapahoe County operates on the "one day/one trial" system.

As for Jacko, any mother who lets her child be with him unsupervised needs to have her head examined. I fully expect him to skip the country for good sometime soon.

IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 19:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Jackson?  -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 00:59      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha ha haaa haahh GG
Nice one my friend

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 06:21      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
As for Jacko, any mother who lets her child be with him unsupervised needs to have her head examined.

Amen!

sidebar: GG, is that a chicken?

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 07:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the person making most sense here is Sxeptomaniac. Take away the tabloid hysteria, and the evidence against him was very weak and the credibility of those giving it extremely suspect, so the Jury came to right decision. That he is as mad as a bag of snakes is unquestionable, and it is possible that he is a child molester, but no more than that, so if guilty verdicts had been returned it would have been absolutely wrong.

Lastly he is not a "pointless, talentless nobody". While he may not be a musical genius like his fellow Motown artist Stevie Wonder, in his prime he was at the very least one helluva song and dance man, and he with Quincy Jones was responsible for some of the very best albums of the 80's. Look at the living ghost who came to court yesterday, and then at the attractive and brilliant young man in the "Billy Jean" video, and it is hard not to feel that something rather tragic has occurred.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 07:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
...in his prime he was at the very least one helluva song and dance man...

Apparently, he's still very good at it.
[Wink]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 07:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Lastly he is not a "pointless, talentless nobody".

Talk to the sparkly silver glove, 'cos the mutilated face ain't listening. [Wink]

Whacko Jacko, as a dancer there is none keener
Whacko Jacko - he knows fuck all about the Cortina

--------------------

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 15:03      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the jurors told the press that he thinks Jackson has probably molested children, but not the children he was on trial for. The majority had to convince him to change his opinion.

Interesante...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 16:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
One of the jurors told the press that he thinks Jackson has probably molested children, but not the children he was on trial for. The majority had to convince him to change his opinion.

Interesante...

Well, good to know that most of the jurors knew their job. Like it or not, convicting a man of one set of crimes based on his believed guilt of other crimes would be very wrong. It would essentially be cheating double jeopardy laws.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 16:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:

Interesante...

You should bear in mind that it was to a large extent the tabloid press that put him in the dock so they are disappointed by this verdict. One of the papers here ran that or a similar story under the headline which said something like "Jury knew he was guilty... but just couldn't prove it", which is of course a gross distortion of what was said.

I hope that we will always need more than suspicion to put a man behind bars.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 22:06      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:

Sorry, alfrin, I have actually served on a jury. I didn't get free food or a free room. (The jury I was on wasn't sequestered. Neither was the Jacko jury.) It was a murder trial, that took about a week from start to finish. (The question wasn't whether the guy was guilty or not, it was more like "what's he actually guilty of?" Second-degree murder was the verdict.)

That was back in California. I haven't been called up in Colorado yet, but I understand Arapahoe County operates on the "one day/one trial" system.

Well, maybe Nevada handles jury duty a little differently, or maybe things have changed in the 2 years since I was on it. Sorry if any of my info i s incorrect, I sometimes forget that things difer from state to state

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 14, 2005 22:16      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on a jury (drunk driving case, guilty on one count, not guilty on another). There were maybe 4 people on the jury who were gonna make up their own damn mind, and about 8 people who were gonna vote with the majority, eventually.

If I'm ever a defendant, I want a jury full of cranky, ornery bastards. I want Slashdot trolls, rabid Michael Moore fans, stone libertarians, people who argue about "Linux" versus "GNU/Linux", bible thumpers, prostitutes, and a homeless guy who thinks getting sequestered is the best thing that's happened to him in 20 years.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture