homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - James Lipton's Questions (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - James Lipton's Questions
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 08:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go in phases for favourite swearword.. I usually make my own phrases up.

My phrase du jour is 'fuckbucket'.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 12, 2005 13:31      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
1.What is your favorite word? What is your least favorite word?

Liberty.

Consistent, not in the mathematical sense, but in the sociological sense. "Hey, Alien, everybody needs to be more consistent." "Huh? What does that mean?" "It means: everybody should be like each other". "Oh, you want to be more like me? Okay!" "No, I mean everybody should be like this consistent standard here, AND *I* am choosing the standard, not you."

2. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? What turns you off?

Things that are way over the top, like a DVD with 80 different bootable Linux distros, or watching all the Matrix movies back to back, or running until I almost fall over from exhaustion.

Conformity. Which is kinda double-edged. "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed". And I find it's usually not productive to argue with gcc, just do what the fine language specification says.

3. What sound or noise do you love? What sound or noise do you hate?

A Suzuki GSXR-750 hitting redline in second gear, preferably with me on it.

Television sets in other people's apartments.

4. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? What profession would you not like to do?

Textbook writer. I want to write: Alien's Guide to All the Math You Need for a Chemistry Degree. And: Alien's Guide to Some of the Cool Math that you Always Wanted to Know.

Telemarketer. Although I would not mind tele-surveys, either political or marketing, because that information actually does have value.

5. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

"Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of immortality!"

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 15:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Favorite: No.
Least: Either "actually" or "like." (I got jaded reading an article that said the word "actually" is often used to add a sense of 'truth' when something might otherwise be dubious. I've subsequently noticed that it's surprisingly overused.)

2. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? What turns you off?

On: Stuff that works well. Finding some snippet of information, and just running with it, to make something cool and useful (never said it had to be practical, though [Wink] ).
Off: Cigarettes. That just goes all across the board.

Love: The soft sound of the tide going in and/or out, as well as water just quietly crashing against the edge of lake/dock/what-have-you.

Hate: UPSes squealing/chirping.

4. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? What profession would you not like to do?

Like: I don't know that it's as far away from my profession as this question might be looking for, but - Teaching computer sci @ a uni. level.

Dislike: Code-monkey. The only place I'd presently consider doing paid programming for is Google, as I am rather interested in the kind of stuff they work on.

5. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

(Sorry, I just don't get that deep.)
Flip answer: What are we going to do tomorrow night, Pinky?

Curse word: Hmm...probably going to go with 'fsck' [sic, even]

BTW, I'll just field this one to some folks around here: Seen this crop up elsewhere: "Twunt" I'm wagering it might be disliked just about as much as the other, but perhaps it's stupid enough to evade that?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 19:34      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Integrity. Spew.

Visiting a forest. Seeing endless concrete sprawl.

My own voice. J/K. Love the sound of rain. Hate the sound of a car alarm at 3am.

Video store/book store owner. Pusher?

Christ, it's about time you made it here.

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 20:29      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
originally posted by Dman:

Least: Either "actually" or "like." (I got jaded reading an article that said the word "actually" is often used to add a sense of 'truth' when something might otherwise be dubious. I've subsequently noticed that it's surprisingly overused.)

I agree. However my friends and I believe that "actually..." is just a polite way of saying, "You're wrong, you moron."
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 20:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
originally posted by Dman:

I agree. However my friends and I believe that "actually..." is just a polite way of saying, "You're wrong, you moron."
[Big Grin]

Snupy! Awesome timing - thanks for jogging my memory...
This was just reprinted on Sunday:
http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20050619

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2005 07:41      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Great one, Dman!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture