homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Star Wars... let's get political

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars... let's get political
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 16, 2005 12:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"STAR WARS is a wakeup call to Americans about the erosion of democratic freedoms under George W. Bush, filmmaker George Lucas said yesterday."

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Movies/2005/05/16/1041776.html

also an interesting piece in the Washington Post...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/05/16/BL2005051600615.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 12:50      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the SUNshine girl! [Razz]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 13:27      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The times they are a changing. It used to be all about Joseph Campbell's path of the hero. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 15:56      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars as social criticism? Wow. I guess he did have to tell us because it's really not obvious from watching the series. The plot has always struck me as the obviously good vs. the obviously evil. And that theme you could apply to anything! Look at God vs. the Devil... I could easily see someone with a Christian viewpoint appropriating the Star Wars story as an allegory of God vs the Devil. Bill O'Reilly could claim that it's actually about the "triumph over liberalism".

Of course I haven't seen Episode III yet (believe it or not, I was not at the Cannes premiere), so maybe I'm doing that ol' puttin' the cart before the horse thing that everyone used to talk about.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 17:34      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rather offended at the immediate correlation of God with 'good' by non-christians.
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 17:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God is good in Hinduism too, Jordanv. Of course, he's also bad, but then that's all part of the dualism I found hard to wrap my head around in my Western Mythology class. God at rest and God in action, then the avatars and their shaktis... all sorts of good and bad all swirled around each other.

Come to think of it, in most religions, not just Christianity, wherever God exists he is associated with good.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 18:07      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm saying just because you think he is good, doesn't mean everyone sees it that way.
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 18:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... you said you're offended when non-Christians equate God with good. Did you maybe mean that you're offended when Christians equate God with good?

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 18:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
I'm rather offended at the immediate correlation of God with 'good' by non-christians.

I must have missed where this was mentioned. I saw some mention of how many people equate god with good, but not a claim that god is good.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 18:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The plot has always struck me as the obviously good vs. the obviously evil. And that theme you could apply to anything! Look at God vs. the Devil... I could easily see someone with a Christian viewpoint appropriating the Star Wars story as an allegory of God vs the Devil.
That's the first reference I came across, Sxept. What Jordanv missed here is that ewomack made a statement about the plot as two opposites in contradiction. As an example, he used God vs. the Devil and put it in the Christian context (where anyone who has ever read the Bible can recognize that God and the Devil are diametricly opposed). Jordanv, ewomack didn't make the statement that God is good; you did. Are you offended by yourself? [Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 19:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could explain some of GWBs tortured syntax, he's channeling Yoda.

<GWB-voice>
When president of USA you are, talk like me you will.
</GWB-voice>

<Vader-voice>
President Hussein, I find your lack of WMD's disturbing
</Vader-voice>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 21:18      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Star Wars discussion this serious calls for a dose of Star Wars Pants.

Let the silliness commence! [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 21:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a crying shame that site didn't get to Ep II

"I don't like pants. They are coarse and rough and irritating, and they get everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth"

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 22:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: I have only seen AotC once, so I'm pulling/revising these from the IMDB quote page.

I am going to hell...

"Your pants are very impressive. You must be proud."

"DO you like your pants?"
"I look forward to seeing them in action."

"Mmm. Lost pants, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing."

"When I'm around you, my pants are no longer my own."

"Blast. This is why I hate pants."

"Be mindful of your pants Anakin. They'll betray you."

"Geonosians don't trust pants."
"Well, who can blame them?"

"Around the pants a perimeter create."

"Depends on what Dex?
"On how well your manners are, and how big your pants are."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 22:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and how could we forget this one.

I feel dizzy. I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the pants you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping those pants will not become a scar.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 16:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas has gotten increasingly moonbattish over the years. It was apparent in Episode I as well.

It's no reason not to go see his movie though...but bear in mind that, if you're looking for different ideological fare, Hitchhiker's has been described as having a "libertarian perspective."

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 23:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Episode I:

"Viceroy, I don't want to see this stunted slime in my pants again."

"What? You think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your pants around like that?"

"I saw your laser pants. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon."

"I want to see your pants the moment the race is over."
"Patience my blue friend."

"This is my apprentice, Darth Maul. He will find your lost pants."

It's an improvement, doncha think?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 05:01      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sense a disturbance in the pants...
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 05:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Episode I:
"I want to see your pants the moment the race is over."
"Patience my blue friend."

That's going in my fortune file. Quite reminiscint of the Bash.org rendition of Harry Potter ...

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 20:10      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:

I must have missed where this was mentioned. I saw some mention of how many people equate god with good, but not a claim that god is good.
As a Lokean, I can definitely concur...equating the god Loki with "good" can lead to some disastrous consequences. [Wink]

On the following thread, I've got to say that my all-time favorite pants quote is:

"Will somebody get this walking carpet out of my pants?"

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture