homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » friday five - all in the music (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: friday five - all in the music
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 13:27      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are variations on some I found on the net.

1. What is the first record/tape/CD that you bought?

2. Who is your favorite all time band/singer?

3. What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player. [Wink]

4. What is the first concert or live band you ever went to see?

5. Can you recommend a good song or CD that everyone should listen to?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 13:33      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is the first record/tape/CD that you bought? With my own money American Pie by Don McClean

2. Who is your favorite all time band/singer? Too hard - Christine Lavin, Flogging Molly, Chris Connor, ....waffle waffle

3. What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player. [Wink] I had a clock radio. My first stereo had a turntable and an 8 track. LOL

4. What is the first concert or live band you ever went to see? Pete Seeger as a kid. Led Zepplin as a pre-teen. (My uncle worked in radio and got tickets. Had to go with my mom. Ugh. How uncool.)

5. Can you recommend a good song or CD that everyone should listen to? Planet X by Lavin

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 13:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My first was Beatles Abbey Road.

That one is tough. But I think I will go with Matthew Sweet.

3. What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player. [Wink]

I was not that rich. Though we had an 8 track. My first personal radio was an old single speaker radio that I wired spare car 6x9's to.

Necrosis. A local speed metal band

Songs
"Something" by the Beatles. Voivod's version of "Astronomy Domine."
Full albums.
Anything by Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Matthew Sweet, or Cherry Poppin' Daddies(especially Kids on the Street).

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 13:47      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Umm... I think it was Itzhak Perlman and Andre Previn playing the Scott Joplin soundbook. (Yep, always been a geek.)

Cowboy Junkies.

A little blue tape cube... played tapes and AM radio.

Clumsy Lovers, I think.

Madeleine Peyroux's new CD Careless Love. Bloody.Amazing.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 14:17      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. "Stay With Me" by The Faces

2. Hard to say just one...The Beatles, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Who and Pete Townshend...

3. Yes, it was an 8-Track with fold-out speakers.

4. Jeff Beck

5. The Beatles White Album

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 21:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Some Elvis double greatest hits album. It had a black and gold cover....I used to rock out to the King when the neighbourhood pole smokers thought the Bay City Rollers were cool. Sheesh.

Toss up. Ozzy's 3 post Sabbath albums - or - The Tragically Hip

Lloyds system. AM/FM, 8 track with 5 stack vinyl auto loader. I later spent $20 at Radio Shack to 'upgrade' it to a cassette player with this clunky black box that slid into the 8 track player.

The first 'arena' show was Twisted Sister opening for Iron Maiden....around '86. Both bands rocked!!

No. But I can recommend:

Pink Floyd: The Wall and Dark side of the moon

Ozzy: Blizzard of Ox, Diary of a Madman

The Tragically Hip: Everything they have released

Alice in Chains: Their entire collection

Early Pearl Jam

Nirvana: Nevermind

Any band featuring Chris Cornell

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 21:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STYX - The Grand Illusion (LP)*

Kate Bush

3. What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player.
A Panasonic portable Tape player, a groovy 1970's blue one.
*(Had to listen to LPs on my parents stereo)

June 2,1982 - Loverboy w/ Frankie & The Knockouts - Pine Knob, Clarkston, MI (Full list of concerts I've been to here )

Claire Voyant - Time and the Maiden.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 04:03      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is the first record/tape/CD that you bought? - Feeling Strangely Fine - Semisonic

Jeff Buckley

3. What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player.
Sadly not an 8-track. It was a Sony tape-deck, circa 1985

Basement Jaxx

'Nashville', Josh Rouse's latest album, is wonderful stuff - has been played on repeat ever since I downloaded it.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 06:50      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

A vinyl lp of Beethoven's 9th. I think I was in 4th grade. I still remember the look on the face of the hip cashier. I think he wanted to say "No way, little dude!"

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band

A small cheap cassette player from K-Mart. It sounded like an AM radio suffocated by a mattress.

I really hate to admit this, but I think it was Billy Joel.

"Trout Mask Replica" Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band

or

"Carlos V Mille Regretz La Canción del Emperador" La Capella Reial de Catalunya, Hespčrion XXI, and Jordi Savall

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Unclear_Physicist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3784

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 07:35      Profile for Unclear_Physicist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

First album I bought was 'Time Machine' by Joe Satriani...this was my second album as my brother had bought for me Satriani's 'Flying in a Blue Dream' a few weeks prior to this as a birthday present

A small Swedish progressive rock group called 'The Flower Kings'

I think it was a cheap tape player of some form, first CD player was aprt of a Matsui hi-fi

Hank Marvin at the Ipswich Theatre Royal

Sheesh, I narrow down a few choices (I am bound to have forgotten something):

The Truth Will Set You Free - The Flower Kings
Bridge Across Forever - Transatlantic
Images and Words, Awake, A Change of Seasons - Dream Theater
The Extremist, Flying in a Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
Passion and Warfare - Steve Vai
Judgement - Anathema
Draconian Times - Paradise Lost
Jade - Flowing Tears

--------------------
Le geek est chic

Posts: 36 | From: Guildford, Surrey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 16:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm struggling to remember, but I think it was a cassette of TV themes, or something similar.

audioscrobbler tells me Disturbed, by a long way. But Queen is definitely way up there, too, just haven't listened to much lately.

An ancient cassette player.

Guns n Roses.

Well, most people don't like metal, so this may not work. But Iron Maiden's stuff that I've heard so far has been amongst the most intelligent, lyrically speaking ever. Who else could do a song about "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", for example?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 17:16      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the first record/tape/CD that you bought?

--I think it was a Charlie Daniel's CD. I was young okay?!

Who is your favorite all time band/singer?

--Eric Clapton (Cream era) or perhaps the Eagles

What is the first thing you ever owned to listen to music on? Extra points if it was an 8 track player. [Wink]

--Alarm radio with an AM/FM tuner

What is the first concert or live band you ever went to see?

--My school had a fundraiser battle of the bands. I went to that, but the music was absolutely terrible

Can you recommend a good song or CD that everyone should listen to?

-- one of the live versions of Cocaine performed by Eric Clapton. It's such a great song

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 20:41      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are variations on some I found on the net.

A Walt Disney Best Hits CD [blush]

Too many, probably Sonata Arctica.

A cheap CD player than you can buy for an extra few bucks if you buy so-and-so worth of stuff from a supermarket.

Some huge thing sponsered by Carlsberg I think. It had Air Supply, Gypsy Kings and stuff.

Too many to say!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 21:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

The Tragically Hip - Trouble at the Henhouse.

quote:

All-time? I don't know. The Hip and BNL are up there. Faith no more, Linkin park, Our Lady Peace, Finger Eleven all also occupy somewhere around the top for me.

quote:

Vinyl.

quote:

Not counting nobody live bands playing at festivals and stuff, the first concert I intentionally went to for the purpose of seeing the band was Live. (The band that did Throwing Copper, I didn't accidentally screw that sentence up. [Wink] )

quote:
[/qb]
5. Can you recommend a good song or CD that everyone should listen to? [/QB]

Lots.

Finger Eleven - Any of their albums (specifically Tip.)
Tragically Hip - everything they did.
Barenaked Ladies - Gordon or Maroon.
Great Big Sea - everything.
Mudmen - everything.
Phil Collins and/or Genesis (both pre and post Gabriel) - everything.
Foo Fighters (or anything Dave Grohl had any involvement except the Queens of the Stone Age, really..) - everything

quote:

Any band featuring Chris Cornell

Really? I loved Soundgarden, liked Cornell on his own, but I find Audioslave to be nothing short of painful.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 09:53      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

no idea, I was not paying attention at the time

well, since I have not been arround for all time and have not heard all bands/singers it would have to be The Sisters Of Mercy at the moment

old beige and brown portable tape player

The Sisters Of Mercy, smoke and mirrors tour

all of them, so then you can answer question 2 properly

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 12:19      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm sort of embarrassed by this, but it was Phil Collins. My only excuse is that I was young at the time.

That's a tricky one as there are quite a lot of bands, but I can narrow it down to Garbage or NIN, but I can't decide between the two.

Unfortunately no 8-track. I think the first thing that was actually mine would be a hi-fi system with one of the first CD players in it. It was one that you puts the CDs in vertically and you could see them spinning around, it was cool. [Smile]

The first real gig I went to would be to see Echobelly. I'd seen a few live bands before, but this was the first that I had actually paid money to see.

5. Can you recommend a good song or CD that everyone should listen to? Yes. Everyone should listen to Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. It is a great song and is very poignant when sung by Cash.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 14:11      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Two at the same time: Foreigner's 4 and Olivia Newton-John's Physical. Both on vinyl.

(Now, the first two CDs I bought were Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Genesis' self-titled album, the one with "Mama" on it. But that was much later.)

Genesis, with Marillion a close second.

Well, it was either a "portable" stereo record player (I think made by RCA), an old Realistic transistor radio, or a Hallicrafters S-38B AM/shortwave radio that once belonged to my father. Can't remember which. I also used to have this beautiful old console radio with a "Magic Eye" tuning system, which was originally my grandmother's. Lovely piece of furniture, but huge.

My parents dragged me to see Roy Orbison performing live at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. At the time, I was too young to properly appreciate it. Now I regret not having appreciated it more.

The Marillion albums Clutching at Straws and Brave. Also many of the tracks on Johnny Cash's American IV - The Man Comes Around. (Yes, "Hurt," but his cover of "Personal Jesus" is good, too.)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 14:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Joan Armatrading - 'Drop the Pilot' (Hey - I was eleven.)

Gotta be the Beatles in all honesty - contraversial, huh?

Crappy vinyl-spinning plastic shitbox.

Helix. I was about seven years old. They played some fair thing (the 'Central Ontario Exhibition', no less). My sister knew them - that's how I got in. I remember it being very loud - and they had a big gong. [Smile]

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - 'Next'. (A cover of the legendary Jacques Brel song.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 15:37      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Smash - The Offspring

Disturbed

AM/FM clock radio

The Cranberries

Splinter - The Offspring

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 17:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zargof McBain:

I'm sort of embarrassed by this, but it was Phil Collins. My only excuse is that I was young at the time.

Embarassed? Phil Collins is brilliant.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 23:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by
Really? I loved Soundgarden, liked Cornell on his own, but I find Audioslave to be nothing short of painful.

Check out: Temple of the dog.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 00:14      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Zargof McBain:
I'm sort of embarrassed by this, but it was Phil Collins.

Embarassed? Phil Collins is brilliant.
Sure he is. He's a skilled drummer and songwriter, and a decent vocalist. Listen to his drumming on Peter Gabriel's third solo album, in which no cymbals are used. On the entire album. He and the producer cooked up the technique of using a noise gate on a snare drum; Gabriel liked the effect so much, he wrote an entire song, "Intruder," around it. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 01:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean if Phil Collins released an album where he didn't play drums at all it would be the pinnacle of drumming genius? [Roll Eyes] Playing the drums without using cymbals isn't that difficult or innovative. Lots of people that can't afford a couple hundred of bucks for a cymbal do it every day. [Razz] He is a good drummer, but songwriter? One word is proof that he isn't-Sussudio.

Sorry, I haven't been sleeping well.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 05:29      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I think that it might have been the Space Man single, by Babylon Zoo. Interestingly, I just bought the same song from iTunes.

2. Enya, by miles and miles. Out of my iTunes "Most Frequently Played" list, she takes first place (Orinoco Flow, with 167 plays) and seven others in the top ten. The other two are Clannad - the band Enya was in.

3. Mac Classic. Game themes. Tetris is the one that sticks in my mind.

4. I'm not sure. Maybe when Kraftwerk went on tour. I missed a chance to see The Orb live recently, for which I deserve a polite kicking.

5. Well, Orinoco flow. But maybe Adiemus, by the 'band' Adiemus and composed by Karl Jenkins. Awesome song, where the lyrics are chosen for how they sound rather than their meaning.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 06:09      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I bought two at the same time, actually:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
U2 - Joshua Tree

Both're still great albums.

Incredibly difficult to say. Maybe Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Page and Gilmour are both gods in their own right(s).

A tape player. For cassette tapes. When I was five or so.

Joe Satriani on his Strange Beautiful Music tour.

Led Zeppelin I through IV. As well as A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.

Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture