homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Will someone PLEASE port Tiger to this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will someone PLEASE port Tiger to this?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 02:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three 3.2 GHz PowerPC chips, 512 M of RAM, $US 300

The world really, really needs a Tiger port for this beastie.

Or maybe Yellow Dog ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 04:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Expect someone to figure that out. After all, if someone could install Linux on the old X-box, one can install OS X to a Mac in disguise! (PowerPC chips, white, curved look... I missed the part where Microsoft hired Jonathan Ive!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
NOP
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 05:02      Profile for NOP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, good old Microsoft producing a new gaming platform that won't run the games from their old one in any really useable manner, thus forcing users to buy all their favourite games again.

BTW, I know of a current-generation XBox possibly up for sale in the near future - any takers?

Posts: 46 | From: TL050227 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 06:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to buy an X-Box just because of the Microsoft logo. I do have the GameCube and the Playstation the DS and am trying to talk my wife into letting me get a PSP but she said I'm already too addicted to Gran Turismo 4.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 07:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Three 3.2 GHz PowerPC chips, 512 M of RAM, $US 300

The world really, really needs a Tiger port for this beastie.

Or maybe Yellow Dog ?

1 chip, 3 cores.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 20:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NOP:
Ah, good old Microsoft producing a new gaming platform that won't run the games from their old one in any really useable manner, thus forcing users to buy all their favourite games again.

I think it probably will. Remember, Xbox The Original is only a Pentium III/733. That triple-core 3.2GHz PowerPC will have more than enough horsepower to run an emulator...and Microsoft just happens to have bought VirtualPC, which is technology for emulating Windows apps on Mac OS, i.e., emulating x86 on PPC.

Some have suggested that the difference in video chips (nVidia in Xbox vs. ATI in Xbox 360) may be a problem. I don't think so. The way you access the graphics hardware in Xbox is supposed to be through a variant of DirectX, an API which was designed to eliminate hardware dependencies in game software in the first place. If that's still the case with the Xbox variant, it's just a small matter of programming to hook up all the emulated calls. If MS let game developers bypass the API and talk directly to the hardware, well, that was dumb. [Smile]

I understand that the hard drive is optional on the 360, though, so you might have to buy that to run Xbox Original games, as those games will expect to see it.

(I sure hope that's the case! If I got a 360, I'd still want to play Halo 2 and TJ&E3 on it!)

IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 11:48      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the optional harddrive. I believe it comes with a 20g hard drive and then has an optional removeable hard drive. The rumors are that the removeable hard drive is supposed to be an iPod killer (but thanks to .wmv DRM's I'm sure it won't).
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 21:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:
Originally posted by NOP:

I think it probably will. Remember, Xbox The Original is only a Pentium III/733. That triple-core 3.2GHz PowerPC will have more than enough horsepower to run an emulator...and Microsoft just happens to have bought VirtualPC, which is technology for emulating Windows apps on Mac OS, i.e., emulating x86 on PPC.

Some have suggested that the difference in video chips (nVidia in Xbox vs. ATI in Xbox 360) may be a problem. I don't think so. The way you access the graphics hardware in Xbox is supposed to be through a variant of DirectX, an API which was designed to eliminate hardware dependencies in game software in the first place. If that's still the case with the Xbox variant, it's just a small matter of programming to hook up all the emulated calls. If MS let game developers bypass the API and talk directly to the hardware, well, that was dumb. [Smile]

I understand that the hard drive is optional on the 360, though, so you might have to buy that to run Xbox Original games, as those games will expect to see it.

(I sure hope that's the case! If I got a 360, I'd still want to play Halo 2 and TJ&E3 on it!)

I agree. Not only that, I think it's *really* in Microsoft's best interests to make games continue to work. With Sony making all of their playstations continually support old system's games, not making the system backwards compatible would do nothing more than piss off and alienate their customers. I realise pissing off their customers is something Microsoft has thrived at for many years, I think it would make a significant difference in the console war if they didn't.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
NOP
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 09:52      Profile for NOP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The key words in my post are 'any really usable manner'. I agree that the processor in the 360 will be way fast enough to emulate the processor from the original XBox, its just the cynic in me suspects that it will all be executed badly - little details in the emulation system will deliberately be missed so the system works, but not as nicely as the original hardware.
Posts: 46 | From: TL050227 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 11:09      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
The rumors are that the removeable hard drive is supposed to be an iPod killer (but thanks to .wmv DRM's I'm sure it won't).

Keh? iPod has just as much DRM as a hypothetical microsoft mp3 player. AAC has FairPlay, and remember they play WMAs too. MP3 is the only format that is, AFAIK, DRM-less.

If anything will kill iPod on DRM-grounds it will be iRiver, with their ogg support.

As I use linux a lot, AAC and WMA are right out of the question (there is an unstable plugin for xmms, but it's unstable), and MP3 is just too big. Hence, I use ogg vorbis, and iRiver are the only dudes that (AFAIK) sell MP3 players with Ogg Vorbis support.

Wake up guys!

Whoops, sorry, a tangent...

Yeah, Tiger or Yellow Dog on the Xbox two sounds cool. [Razz] My sisters have kept me from chipping my current Xbox. [Frown] I must say, I am a bit peeved they slapped that prohibitively-big pricetag on it. Again.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 14:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I agree. Not only that, I think it's *really* in Microsoft's best interests to make games continue to work. With Sony making all of their playstations continually support old system's games, not making the system backwards compatible would do nothing more than piss off and alienate their customers. I realise pissing off their customers is something Microsoft has thrived at for many years, I think it would make a significant difference in the console war if they didn't.

There are also examples from console history of how lack of backwards-compatibility has honked off customers. See, for instance, the introduction of the Atari 5200, or Nintendo's evolution from the NES to the SNES to the N64 to the GameCube, none of which were compatible with any other.

Now, NOP contends that MS may "miss" some details in the emulation that will make it less-than-usable for XB1 games. I say, not if missing those details cause Halo 2 to fail, or MechAssault or KOTOR or any other really popular XB1 game. If I were them, I'd concentrate on testing the emulator against all the top hit games and all the Platinum Hits for starters. Of course, this might leave TJ&E3 fans high and dry, but it's similar enough to other platformers that it would probably still work.

I also see people whining occasionally that "the controller doesn't have black/white buttons, so it can't be used for XB1 games!" Baloney. The 360 controller has left and right shoulder buttons, which I imagine could be mapped easily to black and white. I'd probably map "left shoulder" to white and "right shoulder" to black, just because white is to the left of black on the XB1 controllers.

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 23:46      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I refuse to buy an X-Box just because of the Microsoft logo. I do have the GameCube and the Playstation the DS and am trying to talk my wife into letting me get a PSP but she said I'm already too addicted to Gran Turismo 4.

With the current XBox, MS loses money for every purchase, then pirate the games and install linux, make a bigger HD, and youre helping the cause.!

quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo

I also see people whining occasionally that "the controller doesn't have black/white buttons, so it can't be used for XB1 games!" Baloney. The 360 controller has left and right shoulder buttons, which I imagine could be mapped easily to black and white. I'd probably map "left shoulder" to white and "right shoulder" to black, just because white is to the left of black on the XB1 controllers.

I havent seen the Xbox 360 close enough to know if youre talking about the "triggers", but if you are, those were on the original xbox too, making it still 2 buttons short

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 00:05            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by californiarockr:
I havent seen the Xbox 360 close enough to know if youre talking about the "triggers", but if you are, those were on the original xbox too, making it still 2 buttons short

Nope, the shoulder buttons are in addition to the analog triggers, and hence can be replacements for the black/white buttons. The shoulder buttons are digital. On the other hand, there are rumors that the four main action buttons, i.e. ABXY, are now analog as well, offering 256 levels of pressure.

(I know what buttons are on the original Xbox controller; I own one...)

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 08:44      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, just making sure [Wink]

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 03:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... oh, and while you're at it, a Tiger port to this would be nice too.
7 powerPC cores running at 3.2 Ghz, plus an amazing graphics processor == 2 Tflops of geeky goodness. *drool*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 05:13      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Hence, I use ogg vorbis, and iRiver are the only dudes that (AFAIK) sell MP3 players with Ogg Vorbis support.

They're probably the market leader right now, but they're far from the only one! For a full list, see http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers . I myself have one of the original Neuros players, and I love it, except that mine has developed an allergic reaction to its own battery... (or maybe it's a loose wire). But in its defense, it's been dropped a couple times.... [blush]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 14:25      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
... oh, and while you're at it, a Tiger port to this would be nice too.
7 powerPC cores running at 3.2 Ghz, plus an amazing graphics processor == 2 Tflops of geeky goodness. *drool*

I would be suprised if Sony doesn't at least come out with a Linux kit for it like they did with the PS2. But yeah porting OS X to Xbox360 would be hilarious fun on so many levels. And porting it to the PS3 would make it one incredibly awsome computer.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 15:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you just can't wait for the new model

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 25, 2005 15:44      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a Tiger port to XBox360 might not be all that hard. [Wink]

Note: check the bottom pics on the page.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture