homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Utterly deplorable (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Utterly deplorable
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 07, 2005 15:20      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Members say church ousts Kerry supporters"

[shake head] Really sad news coming from my neck of the woods. The only redeeming quality is that 40 people had the sense to leave and find a better church.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 16:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! But then I suppose it's inevitable that something like this had to happen, given the way the religious right have become so politically powerful. Given the partisan nature of US politics, and the level of hatred each side has for the other, it is then only a small step to start thinking that those liberals are doing Satan's work, etc. etc.

But nevertheless a sad story.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 17:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the 50s here in oz, the Catholic church basically declared war on the Labor Party, edicts issued from the pulpit instructing Catholics how to vote, etc. It ended up severely damaging both the church and the party.

It's sad to see that cold-war style nonsense rearing its ugly head again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 21:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the parties in Oz comparable to UK parties? I'm taking a comparative polisci course now, but we're not covering Down Under (big surprise, eh?).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 00:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Are the parties in Oz comparable to UK parties? I'm taking a comparative polisci course now, but we're not covering Down Under (big surprise, eh?).

More or less,

Aussie -> UK
-------------
Australian Labor Party == Labour Party
Liberal Party == Conservative Party (much to the confusion of many 'merkins)
Australian Democrats roughly corresponds to the Lib Dems in the UK

Then there's the National Party (formerly known as the country party) which is the "We believe in small government, low taxes, and lots of spending on country roads/schools/hospitals and subsidies to farmers, oh, and while your at it, kill all the gays" party, which has no direct equivalent in the UK.

The big difference is that our voting system is far more sensible than the UK/US first-past-the-post system. First-past-the-post can lead to some perverse results when there's more than 2 candidates, for example, Scotlands only Tory MP got elected with only 36.2% of the vote. We list candidates in order of preference, so you can vote for a minor party to make a point, and give your second preference to the least-worst of the major parties. As a consequence, minor parties here tend to do a bit better than they do in the US/UK.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2005 21:52      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Back in the 50s here in oz, the Catholic church basically declared war on the Labor Party, edicts issued from the pulpit instructing Catholics how to vote, etc. It ended up severely damaging both the church and the party.

It's sad to see that cold-war style nonsense rearing its ugly head again.

Sounds like the Asbestos/Amiante Quebec strike of 1949... which led to the silent revolution and the current sepratist movement...
http://www2.marianopolis.edu/quebechistory/docs/asbestos/6Bi.htm

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2005 23:48      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seeing stuff about it in the paper and on the TV news. I don't get why this turned into national news.

The pastor went on a power trip, and his church will suffer for it. It's a classic "power corrupts" situation. It's local news, maybe, but I don't know why I need to know about it in California.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 00:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems the minister in question will be the one looking for a new church

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 08:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I've been seeing stuff about it in the paper and on the TV news. I don't get why this turned into national news.

The pastor went on a power trip, and his church will suffer for it. It's a classic "power corrupts" situation. It's local news, maybe, but I don't know why I need to know about it in California.

There's a lot of shit that makes the national news taht really shouldn't be there. Terri Schiavo, the run-away bride, Britney Spears, etc.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 08:37      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The National Party sounds quite a bit like the National Front in the UK (and elsewhere).
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 08:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

There's a lot of shit that makes the national news taht really shouldn't be there. Terri Schiavo, the run-away bride, Britney Spears, etc.
Amen.

On the front page of CNN at time of posting this message:

CT scans used to create facial reconstructions of King Tut

[shake head]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 14:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The National Party sounds quite a bit like the National Front in the UK (and elsewhere).

Nah, the National Party aren't nazis, they're probably a lot more like a Republican Party branch in rural Kansas. Lots of talk about small government and low taxes, lots of screaming whenever anyone looks like reducing government subsidies to farmers.

--------------------

Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 14:46      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is yet another case of someone (or some few) in a church abusing his powers and/or not knowing when lines should not be crossed.

Reb or Blue, one doesn't have to support all of the ideals of their party to be a part of it. I am the member of an motorists organization that would be considered "Libertarian" by most yet I, in on way, support their every platform.

When I see things like this happening I am saddened by how ignorant people can be.

Dan

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 16:01      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Nah, the National Party aren't nazis, they're probably a lot more like a Republican Party branch in rural Kansas. Lots of talk about small government and low taxes, lots of screaming whenever anyone looks like reducing government subsidies to farmers.
i wouldnt exactly agree with that, kansas republicans care more about socially conservative issues than small government. in fact surprisingly most people like big government and its programs (why bush's Social Security dismantlement plan has gotten little support from the American people) and if the democrats could learn to campaign in these areas they would probably clean the GOP's clock.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 15:00      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a Catholic, I know there was a lot of talk about excommunicating Kerry (hes Catholic) as he supports abortion which is a big thing the Church is against. I know there were some rites in the church refused to Kerry because of this. Dont know though if it is still being carried through.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 20:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
Being a Catholic, I know there was a lot of talk about excommunicating Kerry (hes Catholic) as he supports abortion which is a big thing the Church is against. I know there were some rites in the church refused to Kerry because of this. Dont know though if it is still being carried through.

So, let me get this straight. Killing unborn babies is bad, but killing babies (among others) in far away lands is the lord's work?

Now I see why the catholic church is doing so well [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 21:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there are any Protestant churches with a provision for excommunication, otherwise you might have seen something like that about Bush.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 15, 2005 08:25      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's
    -- Mark 12:13-17

In other words, "I'm not here for political purposes." Why should someone be so surprised that the congregation would oppose a preacher demanding everyone follow his political views?
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
So, let me get this straight. Killing unborn babies is bad, but killing babies (among others) in far away lands is the lord's work?

Are you trying to use some kind of "straw man" tactic or are you trolling?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 08:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shuddup.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 16:02      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a lot happier since I stopped reading / watching the mainstream news. But I really do miss basing reality on exceptions and fearmongering.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 20:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:

Pot .... kettle ......

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 06:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:

Now I see why the catholic church is doing so well [Roll Eyes]

Amen, sir. Amen.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 17, 2005 11:20      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Pot .... kettle ......
TFD, so how do you know I'm trolling? Or, do you believe that quoting a bible verse and saying that being a Christian does not demand specific political affiliation is some kind of trick or deception? Or, do you think that there is only one true Christian denomination?

How would you categorize Cap'n Vic's "killing babies" remarks? Jovial? Friendly? Intellectually Profound?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 12:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the love of Carlton the Doorman - give it up, already! Have you no shame, Sir?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 13:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TFD, so how do you know I'm trolling?

Um, that is all you do here.

We have grown tired of you. Move along.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture