homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - sweets (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - sweets
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 17:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends put this one together

1. If you could only have one type/brand of candy for the rest of your life, what would it be?

2. Which beverage do you prefer to go with your candy?

3. What is the most vile candy you've ever had?

4. What was the first piece of candy you ever remember eating?

5. What kind of candy is the most overrated?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 18:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If you could only have one type/brand of candy for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Licorice all sorts, preferably an English brand like Bassetts. Sky Bars also have the advantage of variety
2. Which beverage do you prefer to go with your candy? Don't care. I focus on the candy.

3. What is the most vile candy you've ever had? buttered popcorn jelly belly

4. What was the first piece of candy you ever remember eating? Easter candy

5. What kind of candy is the most overrated? I don't like Russell Stover's sugar free candies for the most part.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 18:28      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.Hard to pick one. I really like 100 Grands, M&Ms, and Milky Way bars. But if I really had to choose I think I would pick a frozen chocolate Charleston Chew.

2.Oddly enough, sparkling water. Or else milk if the candy is very chocolatey.

3.A tie between circus peanuts and sweedish fish. Yeech. *shudders*

4.I don't remember the first piece of candy, but I do remember sorting out all my Halloween candy as a kid.

5.Anything with peanuts. I really don't like nuts in my candy bars. Candy that is designed around the nut like peanut brittle or toffee almonds are good, but when you mix it with chocolate, caramel or nougat it ruins the experience for me. I don't like nuts in/on my ice cream either.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 19:01      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Dark Chocolate Hershey's Kisses

2. Milk

3. Black Licorice

4. Reese's Pieces

5. Peeps

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 19:49      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Hmm... tie between snickers and gummi worms

2) milk with chocolates, Cherry RC Cola with anything else

3) I don't think anything's especially vile (I even came to like popcorn jelly bellys) but I don't like purely cinnamon candy.

4) no idea

5) M&M's

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 21:58      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

1. If you could only have one type/brand of candy for the rest of your life, what would it be?  -

Coffee

Salted Dutch Licorice (I love Licorice but this stuff is NASTY!)

Butterscotch hard candy

The Hershey Bar

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 22:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Kit-kat.

quote:

Milk goes with candy well. Pop tastes funny with candy.

quote:

M&Ms.

quote:

Maltesers.

quote:

M&Ms.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 22:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Twizzlers

2. Hmm ... depends. Coke (the kind /w cane sugar, not the fructose/corn syrup crap) is most versatile.

3. A piece of chocolate with cream filling gone bad.

4. Kindereier (lit: Kid's Eggs). Those chocolate eggs with the toys inside - mostly a European thing.

5. Jelly beans.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 05:05      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If you could only have one type/brand of candy for the rest of your life, what would it be? -- fudge
2. Which beverage do you prefer to go with your candy? -- tea
3. What is the most vile candy you've ever had? -- nappies... little with diaper-shaped candy with little brown spots in them. UGH. Every kid my age loved them.
4. What was the first piece of candy you ever remember eating? -- It was Kinder Surprise (eggs) for me, too!
5. What kind of candy is the most overrated? -- push pops and candy rings... just eat your candy - don't carry it around with you all day

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 08:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:

4. Kindereier (lit: Kid's Eggs). Those chocolate eggs with the toys inside - mostly a European thing.

Really? Kinder eggs are quite common around here.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 30, 2005 09:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chocolate almonds. But they've got to be fresh. [Smile]

Coffee

Black licorice comes to mind first. yuk

hmmm, tough one... maybe "Rockets", a Halloween treat thingy.

Reeses Pieces

(btw, I'm digging the Friday Fives Aditu!)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 11:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Tseucher (Lindt would be the runner up if I couldn't get a lifetime _free_ contract with Tseucher. 3rd place goes to Toblerone...mmm...)
2. Either milk or coffee (espresso, in particular)
3. Not really sure - I try to tune such things out.
4. Not a clue - I want to say Lindt, but I must surely have had some Hershey's kisses before that...but have no memory of it.
5. Godiva

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 11:37      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only place I've been able to find Kindereier around here (I live in the Chicagoland area) is in Eurodelis. So, yeah, they're available, but they're not something most people have heard of (my high school's French and German clubs used to sell 'em as fundraisers, and always got questions about what they were).
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 11:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragonman, what is Tseucher like?

I will try to come up with a good list next week. My friend J. liked the movie one at another board, so he did the sweets one this week.

I could use some sweets. The plumber never bothered to show up yesterday. Now I have to take off part of Monday. Argh. Please pass some Tseucher.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 14:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dragonman, what is Tseucher like?

I will try to come up with a good list next week. My friend J. liked the movie one at another board, so he did the sweets one this week.

I could use some sweets. The plumber never bothered to show up yesterday. Now I have to take off part of Monday. Argh. Please pass some Tseucher.

Mmmm...sublime is how it is. It has some very good finish.
(Meanwhile, there's an interesting tangentially-related story associated with me discussing espresso with a barista that I'll refrain from posting here. ;P)

Jessycat, can you add any more coherent review of Tseucher here? [Smile]

Aditu: I'd pass you some, but I don't have any right now...and it's not exactly cheap enough to pass out like candy. [Wink] [pun completely realized [Smile] ]

Links can be found here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=teuscher+chocolate

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Unclear_Physicist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3784

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 14:22      Profile for Unclear_Physicist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Any decent plain chocolate, I cannot really think of a specific one, off the top of my head, which stands out. I am a sucker for galaxy and galaxy minstrels, as well.

2. Hot Chocolate.

3. Norwegian Hot Liquorice is definitely up there, in fact liquorice in general, is horrid.

4. Cannot remember that far back to give an accurate answer.

5. Difficult, I would probably have to agree with skylar and say it would have to be push pops

--------------------
Le geek est chic

Posts: 36 | From: Guildford, Surrey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 14:28      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Skor bars. Oh man, are they ever good.

Guinness. Water if there's none of that available.

Those foul teal hard candies that grandmas carry in their purses. They taste like menthol cigarettes. Runners up: Peeps.

Twizzlers, when I was wee.

Cadbury cream eggs. Sure, they're good, but they get all over your chin and you're sticky for the rest of the day.

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 14:54      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peanut M&Ms. I could live off of those things.

I usually don't drink anything with candy, but probably milk.

These Japanese raspberry candies my friend ordered off the internet.

Probably Hershey kisses.

Twizzlers. BLEH. Those things and Peeps (also BLEH).

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 17:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dissing peeps!!!!!!!! I even have a folder in my bookmarks for peep sites. [Big Grin]
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 19:51      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Lifesavers
2. Coke [Big Grin] or just plain water.
3. Black licorice
4. Dolly candy (minus the ones with black licorice)
5. Twinkies, or whatever they are called. Aren't they just some sponge cake thing?

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 20:07      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Candy once many years ago. That would be the answer for 3, 4 and 5. For #2, the beer helped.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 20:37      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI you all you "Black" Licorice haters. That is the only kind of Licorice, there is no such thing as "Red" Licorice. There is no Licorice in Red or Cherry Twizzlers, red vines, red twists, etc...
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 05:44      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cherry Mash

water

Bott's Beans--Yes, I got a vomit flavored one

It was a Russel Stover assortment box, I was two years old, and I remember my dog stealing a piece

Crunch Bar--they've changed the formulation and now it tastes like wax

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 12:30      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a diabetic. [Frown]

I haven't had candy in years, damn it!

*Diabetes* [devil wand]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 10:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo, are you related to Navarino?? LOL He is vocal on that score too. I've always wanted to try kookaburro (sp) licorice from Australia, which a couple fellow licorice fans recommended.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture