homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 18:15      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the Friday Five so in honour of Star War's pending release

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing?
2. What is your favourite movie?
3. Have you ever walked out of a movie? What was it?
4. What have you watch recently that you'd recommend?
5. Star Trek or Star Wars?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 18:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is the first movie you remember seeing? Cat Ballou. My parents wanted to see it. We were supposed to fall asleep in the back of the car at the drive in.
2. What is your favourite movie? It changes. Today Truely Madly Deeply
3. Have you ever walked out of a movie? What was it? I wish I'd walked out of the Pallbearer. My friend and I have a pact now to lean over and ask if the other thinks it stinks.
4. What have you watch recently that you'd recommend? I don't get to the theatre much. I rewatched Bend It Like Beckham last week and would recommend it.
5. Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Wars. Saw the first one 52 times in the theatre. (Hide in the bathroom and sneak back in. )

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 18:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The Shaggy Dog. At a drive in as well, I believe.
2. Hmm, that's a toughie. Hard to chose between Dead Poets Society and LOTR : ROTK.
3. Never in the cinema. Walked out of "Dumb and Dumber" in our college TV room, though.
4. I haven't been to a movie in a long time. I did however think Aliens vs Predator was better than it was made out to be.
5. Star Wars. Trek is cool and all, but it doesn't grab me like Star Wars does.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 19:14      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Aladdin, with Robin Williams.
-Hmm ... maybe 12 Angry Men?
-No. I generally just suffer through it 'cuz I'm too lazy to walk out.
4. What have you watched recently that you'd recommend?
-Bend It Like Beckham
-Star Wars, simply because of the literature. Interesting parallel, though, as both have gone downhill with time.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 19:28      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Goldfinger

2. Apocalypse Now

3. No, but if it wasn't for a sig other at the time, I probably would have

4. Once Upon a Time in the West.

5.Star Wars: the Expanded Universe rocks (I own most of the comics of the last decade or two, all the books etc etc)

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 20:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Either The Santa Clause or The Air Up There.
2. Hmm, that's a tough one. The Princess Bride or Shawshank Redemption or The Man from Snowy River/Return to Snowy River.
3. Never in the cinema. Walked out of "Dumb and Dumber" during music camp. I may have walked out of something at Penn State, but I forget what it was.
4. Finding Neverland was one of those movies that's so poignant I don't want to see it again. It made me cry at the end!
5. Star Trek, particularly Voyager, although the TNG episode where Spock asks his father why he married Spock's father is totally priceless.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 20:41      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
4. Finding Neverland was one of those movies that's so poignant I don't want to see it again. It made me cry at the end!

Bah, what sort of reason is that for avoiding a movie [Wink] I seek out the poignant, teary movies sometimes (as seen by my favourite too above. I usually cry for about the last half hour straight of ROTK)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 21:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dumbo
Pink Floyd, The wall
Once....I don't recall the title, but the guy next to me seemed to have a nasty case of jock itch 'cause man was he rubbin' it
SpongeBob Squarepants....i have offically lost coontrol of the TV to a 4 year old [Frown]
5. Star Trek or Star Wars? [/QB][/QUOTE]
Tie....Olde skule Star Trek and the First StarWars flick

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 23:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2) Star Wars Episode IV
3 )Never walked out, lots of rentals and cable broadcastsI should have turned off though (Scooby Doo and American Pie movies come to mind)
4) The Cukcoo
5) Star Wars IV - VI, Star Trek The Next Generation

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 00:57      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I'm not sure, but I remember my mom taking me to see Star Trek III in the theater pretty early in life, though I bet some of them disney movies were actually first
Napoleon Dynamite
Don't think I've ever walked out
Eulogy
You may as well ask "food or water?"

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 02:04      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Errm... ET when I was about 5 I think.

Hmm.. that's a difficult one, there are a lot of films I really like. I can't decide between Donnie Darko and American Beauty, I love both of them

Nope, I've paid for it dammit and I'm going to get my moneys worth! [Wink]

Be Cool, Million Dollar Baby, Bubba Ho-Tep, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. There are a few more, but those are the ones that stand out.

Star Trek. Shock, horror! But I don't actually like Star Wars.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 07:26      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's Saturday now, but procrastination knows no such limits...

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing? - Peter Pan
2. What is your favourite movie? - changes all the time... right now it's Donnie Darko
3. Have you ever walked out of a movie? What was it? - walked out of Mighty Joe Young. Only so much of Charlize Theron swinging around with apes that you can stand before you want to stab your eyes out.
4. What have you watched recently that you'd recommend? - all/any of the short films on the UBFS website (especially Cat, which was created entirely by my good friend Liam).
5. Star Trek or Star Wars? - Star Wars... gotta be.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 17:40      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

1) Rambo
2) Silence of the Lambs
3) No
4) Troy
5) Star Wars
[Cool]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 18:32      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I miss the Friday Five so in honour of Star War's pending release

1) Ahh good question it is a looong, loooong time ago, most probably a Walt Disney cartoon
2) Shawshank Redeption without a doubt, my Desert Island Disc choice.
3)Yes, American Werewolf in London, though I have to say that I have watched it since and wondered why (most likely because of the breakfast scene).
4) Last film I saw was 'The Incredibles' and I would recommend that.
5) Hmm Star Trek II, IV and VI, Star Wars 4,5 and 6.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 21:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The Jungle Book
2) I don't really have a favorite of anything. Just things I like more than others.
3) I can't recall ever walking out on a movie. They just cost too much. I even sat through the worst movie of all time- "The Blair Witch Project." God, what a piece of crap.
4) "The Aviator"
5)Star Trek Star wars is Ok, but it's just basically a bunch of Multi-Million dollar B-Movies. Most of the acting is not that good and the writing isn't up to par, either. Not that Star Trek hasn't got some bad things about it. I think most of the movies are terrible. (Someone should torture to death the costume designer that came up with those Tom Corbet Space Cadet costumes that the crew wore from the second movie on) But when a franchise can come up with a series with writing and acting that is consistently good such as Deep Space Nine, well, that says it all.
I think it all depends on your age. If you were a little kid when Star Wars came out, you tend to like it more.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 23:26      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
(Someone should torture to death the costume designer that came up with those Tom Corbet Space Cadet costumes that the crew wore from the second movie on)

Sure as hell beats the galactic fanny packs from the first movie though.

Also have to update my recently seen movie to recommend:
A Day Without A Mexican
Its pretty funny and kinda makes ya feel warm and fuzzy.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 14:33      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revenge of the Pink Panther in a theater somewhere in Florida

Crimes and Misdemeanors

Top Secret; I was very young and don't remember why. I probably had to pee and just decided to leave.

Der Untergang or Downfall - excellent movie about the last days of Hitler.

Star Wars - the original trilogy; but I also reallly liked The Wrath of Khan

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 15:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) In a theater or at home? At home that would be either Chariots of Fire or The Right Stuff. In a theater, the re-release of Snow White[/].
2) [i]Casablanca
. Dead Poet's Society runs a close second.
3) Never walked out of a theater. I have wandered away from a movie my sister rented though. It was Party Girl. It was rather silly.
4) Mars Attacks.
5) Star Wars IV-VI. I especially liked V. Although Star Trek II and IV were damn good too.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 15:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

Um. A Bugs Bunny like cartoon involving Daffy, and a stupid caveman.

quote:

There's so many. UP there are: All three Matrix, Oceans 11 & 12, Road Trip, Pulp Fiction, and Sin City.

quote:

I refuse to based solely on the fact that I paid $10 fscking dollars to see a movie, I'm going to watch it beginning to credits. If I was the kind of person to walk out, the only one I can think of that would have actually made me walk out is "Driven". What a colossal piece of crap.

quote:

Sin City. That movie was bloody AWESOME.

quote:

Neither. They both suck. But if I have to choose one, Star Wars.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 17:22      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here made the mistake of renting a movie based on a book (in my case, Wide Sargasso Sea), then not noticing 'till you're watching it with your parents that it's rated NC-17?

That was awkward - and we watched it long after we were all pretty uncomfortable, just 'cuz no one wanted to bring it up ...

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 17:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but there was a book (Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH) that I was nervous about reading for a long time becasue I saw the movie and the movie was crap. The book, OTOH, is excellent children's literature. A valuable lesson on movie adaptations there. Needless to say, when I reported my finidngs to my mother she was pleased.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 21:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars, I was three and my father sat me down to watch it with him.

...Star Wars & Empire. High Fidelity. Harold & Maude.

The Neverending Story, but I was very young and it scared me.

Kung Fu Hustle...it was loads of fun. I also just saw The Grudge, and there some really neat creative camerawork going in that.

Wars. Duh.

shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 22:31      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
No, but there was a book (Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH) that I was nervous about reading for a long time becasue I saw the movie and the movie was crap. The book, OTOH, is excellent children's literature. A valuable lesson on movie adaptations there. Needless to say, when I reported my finidngs to my mother she was pleased.

Ah, memories. That book was one of my childhood favorites.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 15:44      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Jurassic Park
2. Pulp Fiction or maybe Trainspotting
3. The Girl Next Door because it was rubbish, and The Grudge because it was too scary for me
4. Once Upon a Time in Mexico
5. Star Wars, by some way

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evendir
Geek Larva
Member # 3839

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 16:14      Profile for Evendir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At home, I have no idea. At the theatre, I think it was Snow White.
The Matrix. But only the first one. The other two don't exist in my world.
Nope. I have a high appreciation for the good qualities of bad films. Unintentional hilarity -- the best.
I saw Kung Fu Hustle the other day. Quite good.
Star Wars. Definitely.

Posts: 21 | From: Best City On Earth: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture