homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Why is this news?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is this news?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 06:16      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So called news story" I guess it must be a very slow news day if they are talking about the presidents iPod's (iPod one) play list. He has 250 songs on his playlist. I don't know if this really qualifies as news.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
nit
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2690

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 08:08      Profile for nit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always consider a persons playlist is a window into "the music that they like", "the music that they've only just found about" and "the music which is related to the other two which gets put on because its from the same artist/era/genre and I've got another 19 gbs to fill so it'll do for the moment"

I used to have a terrabite of mp3's, I listened to it on random. then I realised that if I deleted from the play list every track that I consistently skipped I had a very small play list.

Perhaps we will have 'audio entertainment' consultants, in the same vein as 'style' consultants in the future.

I think I just found a job that I like, telling people what I think they should wear, how they should act and now, what they should listen to!

/me hands in notice

--------------------
Nit
_ _ ___________________________ _ _
Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 13:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do they say about his iPod contents? Let's see...

Country music; no surprise there.

Joni Mitchell; well, she does some good stuff, I had an officemate once who played her albums a lot.

Van Morrison; hell, I've got "Moondance" and "Brown-Eyed Girl" on my laptop...though I admit I like Jimmy Buffett's version of "Brown-Eyed Girl" better.

"My Sharona"? Well, it's a good song, and probably reminds him of his youth; I've got a ton of 80's stuff in my own playlist like that. I'll see that "My Sharona" and raise him Frida's "I Know There's Something Going On" and Chris DeBurgh's "Don't Pay The Ferryman"...

"No black artists, no gay artists, no world music"...do we have to have affirmative action in music collections now, too? I don't care what color a person's skin is, who they sleep with, or what country they're from, if they play good music.

"no genre less than 25 years old"...Well, maybe that's because most of the stuff the record companies put out these days is 100% grade-A CRAP??? I just can't see Bush listening to gangsta rap, "nu metal" (whatever the hell that means), five-member boy bands, or teenage and pre-teen pop tarts...

"No Beatles." That's the one criticism that could possibly be valid. Of course, my own collection is lacking in such...but we've now got Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and the White Album ripped at home, and I do need to update my laptop's collection.

In short, to hell with it. [Razz]

IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 14:39      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No metal either... although I can't imagine Bush headbanging [Big Grin]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:16      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, a white conservative doesn't have black music!

Oh no, I don't have any albums by albino 20% negro/30% caucasian/40% aryan/10% semite lithuanian-speaking people from Outer Mongolia.

I need to correct this tragedy now!

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 17:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Wow, a white conservative doesn't have black music!

Oh no, I don't have any albums by albino 20% negro/30% caucasian/40% aryan/10% semite lithuanian-speaking people from Outer Mongolia.

I need to correct this tragedy now!

Go buy a Marillion album.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
rivenGlitch
Geek Larva
Member # 3751

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 18:21      Profile for rivenGlitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if he has downloaded any of it...

Things that make you go hmmm...

--------------------
Programmer (def): An organism that converts caffeine into software.

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 18:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rivenGlitch:

I don't think he has the mental capacity to do so.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 19:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by rivenGlitch:

I don't think he has the mental capacity to do so.
According to the article I read, he has an assistant download from iTunes Music Store.

Your taxes at work.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 00:54      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me be the first to add BEST JOB EVER.

Official ipod consultant.

I like the ring to that.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 09:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, TFD touched on what I would like to emphasize:
quote:

The MP3 player, which can store up to 10,000 songs, only contains about 250, according to the New York Times, which first reported the story.

and:
quote:

The task of downloading the music falls to the 58-year-old president's personal aide, Blake Gottesman, who buys individual songs and albums from the iTunes music store.

I mean, FFS, it's an iPod. iTunes is one of the easiest pieces of music management software...ever (and it's good, too!). This is a really pitiful thing.

What's also getting on my nerves all the more is how this is happening out at 'the ranch.' Is this man ever in Washington? He seems to have a real aversion to doing work where it's expected of him. The front page of the Times yesterday featured W & Sharon at his TX ranch?! WTF!! I can't call him an esteemed internation visitor, because I don't think much of him, but the fact remains that he's an important international figure visiting this country, and should be in the political center of the nation, not on some hick ranch.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture