homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » OPEC Running Out of Spare Production Capacity (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: OPEC Running Out of Spare Production Capacity
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 10:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom________________Your Corvair shold be getting a lot better milage than that. When they were new the brag was that you could get in excess of twenty miles per gallon, what is wrong with your's.

Bio fuels are at this time only a blend of plant and fossel fuels at about 95% fossel, in Braisal they blend up to 85% plant (ethanol) the problem here is most refiners still believe in heating the mix instead of using vacuum distilation,

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 12:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
CommanderShroom________________Your Corvair shold be getting a lot better milage than that. When they were new the brag was that you could get in excess of twenty miles per gallon, what is wrong with your's.

Well MoMan, there are a couple of reasons. The 4 door I currently drive is a survivor car. It has never been opened. So I has a couple hundred thou on the odometer. Best guess. So it is getting tired. And the other reason is the way I drive. I love the old saying "drive it like ya stole it."

Now my 'vert is modified. Bored jugs and carbs. Modified combustion chambers et al. So that one on a good day will hit around 10-15. Usually 10. [Big Grin]

And in all actuality the average owner historically got around 15-18MPG. It was actually a complaint in some of the earlier mags about how the gas mileage was not nearly as good as advertised.

Even my bike is at the bottom of the mileage range. But then again I hammer on it too. Many 100+ MPH runs.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 17:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom___________I had a 69 with the four carb. setup I have never been known to be easy with my vehicles, does it burn oil? other wise I would have the carb. floats checked for correct drop, mine ran like a scared rabbit and did not do that poorly.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,

To put it simply the carbs are the best part of the car. She smokes, leaks, rattles, and floorboards are computer cases coated in Henry's.

But for 200.00 I can't complain.

So you had a '69 140? Nice engine setup. I have a turbo setup that I will do right. Which should get me much better mileage. But what I have now are high mileage guzzlers.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 22:59      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
... And the other reason is the way I drive.

A few weeks ago there was an article on hybrid cars not getting their rated gas mileage. The answer: it's how you drive. If you're stuck in rush-hour traffic, going nowhere, and you turn on the air conditioning, the engine has to burn gas to power the A/C. Suddenly your gas mileage is the same as all the other cars. Other things: "standing" on the brakes doesn't give the generator time to slow the car while charging the battery, and "standing" on the accelerator forces the engine to burn gas.

I miss carburetors ... you could always get the engine to run (even if at 4 MPG), but with electronic fuel injection you're pretty much at the mercy of some auto shop when it gets fouled. [Frown]

Currently driving a 2003 Toyota Celica (manual transmission) at 27 MPG, mostly city driving, but rarely in traffic jams.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 07:13      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM that is the crux of the whole economy debate.

In the Corvair world they have something called an economy run. I think it came about from GM's original advertisement of the car as an economy car.

I have learned a lot of tricks on how to make my car very economical. But it come with a loss of performance. I climb a steep grade to get to work and I know I would save a lot more gas if I took it easy on the throttle. At the same time I have to be somewhere by a certain time. And if I spent about $2000.00 to do the rebuild that this engine surely deserves. Also I could upgrade my tranny to a 4spd that would improve the mileage quite a bit too. That is actually on my to-do list. But I am going to have replace the entire clutch assembly to the tune of about $400.00. And then the other odds and ends parts plus time will bring the tag up higher. I will have about 2 1/2 times the worth of the car wrapped up just in a transmission.

As you were saying hybrid cars can get exceptional milage with proper driving. Hybrids are useless if you do a lot of superslab driving or if you love your A/C. These things require the gas engine to be running. So the benefits of the electric motor are lost. Now stop and go traffic the hybrid shines. But again under proper conditions. Hammer the throttle and the gas engine kicks in. No improvements on mileage again.

Here are a few trick I have learned from the econo runners.

1. Go easy on the throttle. If you have the habit of being heavy on the go pedal you will use more fuel.

2. Stay off the brakes. You lose momentum which in turn means that you have to go to number 1 to catch back up.

3. Stay a safe distance away from the car in front of you. This plays into number 2. which in turn goes back to number 1. If you are too close to the car in front of you then you have to slam the brakes when they do and have to hammer the gas when they do. At a safe distance you have time to ease off the throttle or ease onto the gas.

4. Keep your tires(tyres) properly inflated.Proper inflation equals less rolling resistance. Which in turn mean less scavenging loss of power.

5. Properly tuned engine. Again another "duh" thing. But many people are guilty of it. An improperly maintained engine will require more fuel and air to make the same power.

6. Proper gearing. This really only work on older cars. If you are freeway driving those 4.10 gears are not going to help. Change the rear end raition to something that is easir on the car at the speed you normally drive. Change the rear out to 3.00 and you have lower the RPM that the engine will run at any speed.

Now I am going to browse the rest of the freshest fifteen and let my fingers rest.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 14:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regards "Bio Fuels"

Why is it taking more energy in than you get out?

Natural fermentation will give you upto 15% ABV. Surely a gentle distillation, repeated n times, will produce a good ethanol/methanol mix without using excessive energy input? I would have thought a large system could be run on either solar power or on waste heat from "unclean" power generation systems.

Yes it is no doubt cheaper/easier to get these by "cracking" higher chain hydrocarbons at present (and plenty are probably classed as "waste byproduct" of other processes) but we are talking about what to do when (before really) this is no longer the cheapest/easiest option...

Alternatively we could just extract the sugar and burn that in powerstations - have you ever seen sugar burn? My grandma used it to get poorly lit coal to "go" (Yeah, I know, it takes more energy to get the sugar than it's worth as fuel... There goes my perpetual motion machine scheme... AGAIN... [Big Grin]

Of course, proerly processed (i.e. removing all the stuff that can be used for fertilizer etc. most forms of excrement make a passable fuel - again probably not "economically viable".

I'm past 40 now and I have seen some amazing things in my life, Man landing on the moon (my Dad got me out of bed in the middle of the night to watch it and yes, I can remember it), the arrival of colour TV, the rise and fall of VCR, satellite TV, the arrival and rise to dominance of the desktop computer, the arrival of the internet as an everyday commonplace, space probes, etc. etc.

In the next 30 years (which I hope to see) I expect the world to change even more radically - and not all for the better I expect - but I fully hope/expect that many of the 'green dreams" will become the economic norm by the time I die, not through altruism but necessity.

Oh yes, and I would like to live long enough to meet a truly Artificially Intelligent being or robot.

P.S. Watched "Hackers" the other night - Oh the hilarity of it all - "Wow man, check this out! 28.8 modem and everything" (paraphrased) ROFLMAO

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 15:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
Yeah, gas prices are certainly getting 'fun' of late - I just spent $2.319/gal on Thursday (and had been ticked off that I was spending $2.299 at a more expensive station on Tues...oh had I the foresight, I'd have filled the tank completely).

It's a sadly ironic thing, but I'm presently making a weekly trip (sometimes more frequent than that, even) that could be done with public transit by car, simply because it's a hell of a lot less expensive, and takes less time.

Would I prefer to take the train and subway vs. ~5 highways and parkways + city driving? Yes, I believe I would - except that it's ~<$7 in gas to make the trip, vs. ~>$20 in parking, gas, train and subway fares, *and* would take me nearly an hour more to get home at night (getting there would probably be more comparable with traffic, and so long as I'm on time, I don't care - but as the evening continues, I don't need to spend even more time travelling).

Oh well...at least my Corolla gets ~28mpg. [Smile]
/me wishes more and more SUV owners get the fscking idea, as prices continue to rise.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 15:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's a sadly ironic thing, but I'm presently making a weekly trip (sometimes more frequent than that, even) that could be done with public transit by car, simply because it's a hell of a lot less expensive, and takes less time.

I used to be in the same position, I was driving to/from work, and paying for parking, and it was still cheaper (thanks to a quirk in the aussie tax system that lets me deduct car expenses, but not public transport fares) and about 10 minutes quicker than taking the tram.

Then, the commercial car park I used dropped their prices.

Suddenly, instead of being half empty most of the time, it was full. Getting out of the place in the evening now takes ~20-25 minutes of queueing, which means driving is now slower than the tram.

So, now I sit on the tram and read the paper in peace instead of sitting behind the wheel cursing peak hour traffic. It's costing me a little more, but my stress levels have dropped and I'm home earlier in the evening.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2005 06:59      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
This can't be all bad - I mean, it's making SUVs too expensive to drive. I always get nervous around SUVs, even when I'm in my little Subaru and not on my bike.

They're even worse if you're on foot. I've nearly been run over by one of those Deathmobiles making a left turn directly at me while I was crossing the street. (And yes, I was crossing properly, with the light, at a corner. Deathmobile drivers don't care about pedestrians having the right of way.)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2005 09:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What people aren't understanding (and I'm not saying it's an excuse by ANY means) is that the people who can generally afford SUVs are the same people who can handle the increased gas prices.

When most SUVs are so friggen expensive, the people buying them must have moderately deep pockets.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 12:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, it's not just OPEC's fault about the gas prices. Here are some other factors to consider:

(1) The mainstream media pushes out a lot of doom-and-gloom stories about how badly it's going in Iraq and the Middle East, while suppressing most of the good news. This makes traders jittery, and they bid up futures prices, making it more expensive to buy the crude in the first place.

(2) The worldwide demand for petroleum products has increased, and not just in the U.S., either. China and India are huge consumers. Their increased demand would be causing prices to rise even if U.S. demand were flat. (In some cases, it actually makes more economic sense to sell U.S.-produced crude to the Far East and buy more back from elsewhere...some of this has to do with profit margins, but it also has to do with the composition of the crude oil in question, particularly the sulfur content.)

(3) That crude oil has to be refined into gasoline before you can put it in your tank...and the U.S. is nearly maxed out on refining capacity. No new refineries have been built for years, largely due to all the NIMBYs and BANANAs(*) out there and the environmental regulations they've rammed through everywhere they can. So, when demand spikes, the supply can't follow suit. This goes double when there's an industrial accident at one of the refineries that's still operating.

(4) The establishment of "boutique blends" of gasoline, reflecting differing air-quality laws and standards in different areas, makes it impossible, for instance, to take Minnesota gasoline and sell it in Missouri. The problem is most apparent in California (L.A. Basin gas is blended differently from Bakersfield gas, and both are different from San Diego gas, and so on), but is present virtually everywhere. This makes it impossible to compensate for local shortages by bringing gas in from elsewhere.

So, blame OPEC--or the oil companies, for that matter--if you must, but know that there's more than enough blame to go around.

(*) NIMBY = "Not In My Back Yard"; BANANA = "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody."

IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 12:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only 'good news' in Iraq is for Bush's buddies with fat contracts rebuilding what the US just finished (and continues) to blow up.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 13:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
The only 'good news' in Iraq is for Bush's buddies with fat contracts rebuilding what the US just finished (and continues) to blow up.

Um...how about that the Iraqis now have a democratically-elected government for the first time in history? That the three main ethnic divisions (Sunni, Shi'ite, Kurd) are cooperating with one another in this government? That private enterprise is starting to flourish? That homes now have running water and electricity where they had little of either during Saddam's rule? That kids are now going to real schools, not the concoctions of Saddam propaganda and Muslim dogma that passed for "schools" before the war? That, in fact, ordinary Iraqis are starting to take matters into their own hands, killing and capturing "insurgents"?

Oh, that's right, none of that fits the mainstream media's "get Bush at any cost" agenda. Or yours, apparently.

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 15:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Um...how about...
That private enterprise is starting to flourish?

Halliburton certainly is, $200 odd million in overcharging on a no-bid US government contract is a good start.

That homes now have running water and electricity where they had little of either during Saddam's rule?

I call B.S. on this one.
The damage to electricity and water supplies that the US did during the invasion has been partially repaired. Even in the major cities, most people now only have a few hours a day of electricity. No way is it better than before the war.

That kids are now going to real schools, not the concoctions of Saddam propaganda and Muslim dogma that passed for "schools" before the war?

Um, that sounds a lot like "our schools good - their schools bad". Besides, Saddams regime was strictly secular, the schools in his day were most certainly not indoctrinating the young with "Muslim Dogma".

That, in fact, ordinary Iraqis are starting to take matters into their own hands, killing and capturing "insurgents"?

Um, I didn't think you were much of a fan of ordinary Iraqis "taking matters into their own hands".
You certainly seem to disapprove of such behaviour in Fallujah, Najaf, Sadr City, etc etc.....

Meanwhile, while Nero W Bush fiddles, Rome burns.

GWBs 'economic management' (for want of a better phrase) has every American sinking $200/month deeper into debt.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 15:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US is not exactly the country to be bringing democracy to the middle east when they don't have a resonable facsimilie in their own country. Look at your 2000 election....you call that democracy? Ha!

On all your other points, read this girls blog she lives there and doesn't get much bias from the 'mainstream media' just bombs killing her family and friends.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone's been watching too much CNN [Roll Eyes]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
........or Fox [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
........or Fox [Razz]

Are you implying those are two different networks? [Big Grin]
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:41      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and you're ALL missing the fact that it's not just the USA over there doing/did/helping

i'm getting 20mpg if i'm carefull, and about 15 if i have the a/c on - and i do most of the time

i can't save enough to get a more fuel efficient car, so i'm stuck in a rut

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 16:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Why, oh why do we believe the news media - any of them? Their business is to create enough upset to sell the advertising that pays *their* owners. Believing the news media is a lot like believing the government. They lie to us over, and over and over.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 14, 2005 14:45      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] I thought the forums had become reasonable, but my optimism was unfounded.....

1. If soft drinks $1.25 per 2 liter (effectively $2.50 per gallon), is the real value of gasoline only $2.50 per gallon?
Americans should have been paying more for gas long ago, but cheap gasoline "buys" a lot of average citizen votes. Second, it's been said that OPEC realized that making oil "too expensive" would result in a push for technology to make the need for their oil trivial.

2. Small things in very large numbers can produce massive effects.
An aphid is a very small insect, but if you've had a garden, you probably realize the magnitude of damage that they can cause. The behavior of several million people in automobiles has an immense effect on the petroleum market. Naturally, if you asked any one person about the effect of his fuel consumption on the price and availability of oil, he'd say "nothing."

3. FYI: It takes less energy to produce Bio-diesel than to produce Petroleum diesel.
Its because the catalytic cracking in oil refineries requires a lot of heat and pressure. However, the "raw material" costs make petroleum much cheaper. It's virtually impossible to grow crops for fuel 12 months per year, and conditions such as drought and pests have a large impact on production and cost. If crop rotation is not used, expect to spend a lot more on pesticides and other controls. If you don't believe it, try raising tomatoes in the same place year after year.

To the two people who believe that conspiracies and "racism" explain current economic conditions regarding oil (and so many other things):

If something is the result of the behavior of several million people, it's not a conspiracy, it's a state of denial. Of course, if you feel that hundreds of thousands of people sitting in traffic jams, alone in their cars with the A/C on max, for hours each day is just a diversion to prevent the masses from realizing that "one man" and his cabal are the cause of all problems on earth..... it's not likely that you'll change your mind about that.

Since FOX News never ran any specials about "Saddam Hussein's Wonderful Utopia of Iraq", I'm afraid I don't realize how benevolent, honest, and enlightened Saddam was, or how good life under Saddam was for Kurds and Shiites (almost 80% of the population). Do you have some good stories of how Saddam became a great humanitarian under the guidance of the UN? Is the food for oil program one of his best accomplishments?

By the way, what's with the "insurgents" targeting and killing more Iraqi civilians? Are American troops a lesser evil than Iraqi people in the streets?

back to the topic ............

Solutions: Technology vs. Behavior
When one car powered by a fuel-cell can cost over $1 million, why are so many people so eager to try and put one in every garage to "solve" energy problems. How much gasoline could be saved if the average driver carpooled with one other person and lowered mileage by combing trips? How much would it cost to develop the technology to "car-pool"? Too much? Maybe it's impossible.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 14:55      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^Applause^^^^^Applause and ^^^^ thunderous applause.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 15:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Since FOX News never ran any specials about "Saddam Hussein's Wonderful Utopia of Iraq", I'm afraid I don't realize how benevolent, honest, and enlightened Saddam was, or how good life under Saddam was for Kurds and Shiites (almost 80% of the population). Do you have some good stories of how Saddam became a great humanitarian under the guidance of the UN? Is the food for oil program one of his best accomplishments?

You know, up until this point, I was actually thinking "wow, ASM is talking sense for a change", but clearly the effort tired you out rather quickly and you reverted to your usual drivel.

No-one here has ever claimed Saddam was a great humanitarian, all I pointed out in my posting above was that

1. The electricity and water in Iraq were working until the USA and its lackeys blew the fsck out of the infrastructure.

2. Iraq, under Saddam, was not a haven for Islamic fundamentalists. Saddam ruthlessly suppressed such tendancies.

quote:
By the way, what's with the "insurgents" targeting and killing more Iraqi civilians? Are American troops a lesser evil than Iraqi people in the streets?

Well, I dunno.
You'd have to ask Erbo, he's the one who's a fan of "ordinary Iraqis taking matters into their own hands".

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 17:29      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
...1. The electricity and water in Iraq were working until the USA and its lackeys ...

why separate? this was NOT a "USA only - but hey, we better invite a few other countries to join in so they don't feel left out" effort

yet another mind corrupted by the media [ohwell]

----

is there a site where people can go to input local gas station prices?
keep a check on who has the lowest price daily?
i thought i saw something like that months ago, but i've lost that info

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture