homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » first strand!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: first strand!
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 22:52      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so if all goes well(i.e. all contracts working out), my own little company will soon have its own little private strand of fiber from toronto to montreal. [Smile] wheehee and all that.

wish me luck.
now to work towards my first cisco GSR and my own transport fiber between toronto and ny. to think i started this thing on nothing but two servers and a shitty 4k loan.

i wish my ex was still in my life, none of this would be happening if she hadn't kept me going in my darkest moments.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 23:00      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. [Big Grin]

Damn, I envy your user ID and handle. [evil]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 23:12      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh ooh and i got a brand new blackberry 7780. not as cool as my own strand of fib-ah but still cool as all hell. i think my gf loves this thing more than she loves me, she spends more time with it than with me.

--------------------

i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 04:38      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for asking if this has been answered elsewhere, but what does your company do?

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 05:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mephisto:
ooh ooh and i got a brand new blackberry 7780. not as cool as my own strand of fib-ah but still cool as all hell. i think my gf loves this thing more than she loves me, she spends more time with it than with me.

I have a blackberry 7750. I think they might be the same things, since they're just minor model differences based on carrier. They're fun! [Big Grin]

Congrats on the fibre. My company got our fibre in uh.. November? (I don't remember. [blush] )

It's wonderful. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 05:51      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:
Forgive me for asking if this has been answered elsewhere, but what does your company do?

transit provider [Big Grin]
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 05:56      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I have a blackberry 7750. I think they might be the same things, since they're just minor model differences based on carrier. They're fun! [Big Grin]

Congrats on the fibre. My company got our fibre in uh.. November? (I don't remember. [blush] )

It's wonderful. [Wink]

cool. fiber connecting two points for transport or transit routes from a provider? i have two gigs of transit coming to me, one from asn 174 and from asn 6453. Hopefully will get a gig from 3561 too and that will be a happy day too.
the new fiber to montreal is just for transport, no transit.

Today is a damn busy day. Have to pick up my new router from fedex, which weighs 100 pounds, get a birthday cake for girlfriend and pick out a present. I spoke of some perfume but i have no clue what to buy. Maybe if they had something like Eau de la gsr or crs-1, that would do perfectly cuz i always joke about getting her a cisco switch or a firewall for her birthday but she doesnt appreciate what that would mean to a girl.....maybe i could get her an ipod. Complete surprise .... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 06:01      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you aren't sure, skip the perfume. Scent is a really personal thing for women. One of those IPOD shuffles would be a boss gift.

Congrats on your strand!!

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 06:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It's wonderful. [Wink]

cool. fiber connecting two points for transport or transit routes from a provider? i have two gigs of transit coming to me, one from asn 174 and from asn 6453. Hopefully will get a gig from 3561 too and that will be a happy day too.

Today is a damn busy day. Have to pick up my new router from fedex, which weighs 100 pounds, get a birthday cake for girlfriend and pick out a present. I spoke of some perfume but i have no clue what to buy. Maybe if they had something like Eau de la gsr or crs-1, that would do perfectly cuz i always joke about getting her a cisco switch or a firewall for her birthday but she doesnt appreciate what that would mean to a girl.....maybe i could get her an ipod. Complete surprise .... [Big Grin]

A fibre to a provider. (fibretech.), not a direct transport, as much fun as that would be. [Smile]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 08:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
If you aren't sure, skip the perfume. Scent is a really personal thing for women. One of those IPOD shuffles would be a boss gift.

I second Aditu on the shuffle.

Congrats!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 01:34      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got her the Ipod mini instead, in silver. Its not worth dropping like a hundred less and giving like 3 gigs less space. Either way she loved it, even though i was hideously late. she told me the cutest knock knock joke ever. ohh i could go on for hours about her but i'll go and be all goofy by myself. its funny but when you really, finally care about someone the fact that they are not your body type just stops mattering. all that matters is that her smiles make me melty and i'd give up all my cisco's for her. i like this real, honest love stuff. for once i'm into the person more than into said person's body.... ahhh i miss her now....

--------------------

mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 01:35      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's wonderful. [Wink]

A fibre to a provider. (fibretech.), not a direct transport, as much fun as that would be. [Smile]
fibertech? are you guys paying retail?
if you are, let me know. I can prolly get a gig to you for far less than retail if you are in any metropolitan canadian city.(yes i know i sound like a pimp, but i gotsa do ...etc,etc)

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 19, 2006 08:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow congrats mephisto! [thumbsup]

everybody sing...
"Strand in the place that you work..." [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 10:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds nice. Personally I got FTTP sometime last year, and I'm very happy with it. [Big Grin] Not the same thing as your fiber...it's cooler. [Wink]

At work, I'm thrilled with the fiber link up we got ~2 years ago...nothing quite like being hooked up to your ISP @ 100 Mbits over fiber - with some very fine Cisco kit provided by them at that. All DC kit, with a big set of deep discharge batteries to keep it going...this stuff makes me happy. [Smile]

I also play around with patching fiber linkups for a LAN, but somehow that's not quite as fun as the other fiber stuff.

Two things that have put very big grins on my face:
1. Downloading a Knoppix image (700 MB) in 90 seconds - approx 62 Mbits.
2. Watching Verizon set up my FiOS ONT. Better prices, good bandwidth, and fantastic geek cred. [Wink]

Oh, and re: Blackberries - they seem cool, but I don't want one. I really don't need to be so constantly in communication that people can dump more sh*t on me, and expect it to be done that much faster.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture