homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » mmmmm,, garlicky - and other stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mmmmm,, garlicky - and other stuff
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted March 23, 2005 15:18      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so the last time i tasted a sause this yummy was origonal recipe kim-chi made by a korean freind's grandmother while i was stationed IN korea (USAF)

so, i got my jar a lil while ago but no idea what to do with it

finally dawned on me - 1/3 garlicky sauce and 2/3 psgetti sauce over fried steak-umms and elbow macaroni

yep, that'll do it every time [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

and the taste reminded me as i said, then i read this article: Army Raises Maximum Enlistment Age to 39

i sent off for a copy of my DD214 to see what my options are

any recruiters post here?

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 18:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
39...don't hold your breathe. They are trying to shove my friend Mike out. He's getting close to having enough years in for military retirement.

Garlic on the other hand is mmmmmmm. May have to introduce you to Kimchi Jon

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 18:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
Army Raises Maximum Enlistment Age to 39

i sent off for a copy of my DD214 to see what my options are

When you're an old man, sitting on the porch and looking at the place where your legs used to be, I hope you think all that oil was worth it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 19:43      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
When you're an old man, sitting on the porch and looking at the place where your legs used to be, I hope you think all that oil was worth it.

and if you think it's all about oil, or that's the reason i'm thinking of going back, then you're wrong

i'm not even going to start on just how wrong the thinking/opinion of "the war is for oil" is, this is the wrong thread for that

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 00:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid, how could you be so insensitive and say the war was for oil?

It was about killing ragheads to make daddy proud.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 01:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oil has nothing to do with it, silly...

...now, vast profits from the military-industrial complex - thems good wages!

And remember who else is in the 'Pentaverate' - Colonel Sanders, no less - with his secret ingredient that makes you crave his chicken fortnightly. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 03:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it used to be about WMDs, but we don't hear that excuse much any more.
Maybe it's about bringing Christianity to the heathens ....
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 07:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George W Bush, the first lady, and Dick Cheney are all aboard Air Force One.

George W Bush looks down out the window, and says, "I could throw a $1000 bill out the window, and make somebody very happy."

The first lady smiles, and goes, "I could throw 10 $100 dollar bills out the window, and make 10 people very happy!"

Dick Cheney goes, "I could throw 100 $10 bills out the window, and make 100 people very happy."

The pilot snickers, turns to his co-pilot, and says, "show offs. I could fly this plane into a mountain and make BILLIONS of people happy!"

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 10:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been so many reasons listed for this war that I've lost track of what the original excuse was. Something about Al Qaeda (which wasn't in Iraq until we invaded and imposed anarchy) and WMDs (which were never there in the first place) I think.

Ah well. We're there now. The only question is how soon can we get out.

I used to dream of visiting the Mid-East. There's some cool stuff to see. And Central Asia has some great peaks. But I wouldn't feel safe going there now or anytime soon. I'm not even sure my own country would let me back in. [Frown]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 11:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the war about 9-11?

Or something to do with the French?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 11:37      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Not any time soon, if we did we would only be inviting attacks to the states.
moped-rider
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 11:57      Profile for moped-rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm i thought it was something to do with the Germans it still 1943 isnt it?? [Confused]

--------------------
I wouldnt give him the cheese of me qu** two stroke Eddie. http://www.macclads.co.uk/index.html

Posts: 45 | From: warwickshire england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 12:37      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

And by staying beyond what's strictly necessary, you'll increase hatred from extremists, thus causing more attacks to the states, American citizens in foreign soil, and whatever they may consider a symbol of the United States - or the West, for that matter. My opinion is get out as soon as they have their constitution voted in, and wait for their government to call the peacekeepers for help. But definitely don't go back without an invitation.

Oh, and I believe the last justification was to get rid of a dictator and bring security to Iraq. Too bad it caused terrorists to take a foothold into Iraq, actually lowering people's security. In Saddam's time, people had to watch what they said, to whom, and where. Now they have to hope not to be around when the next car explode.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 13:18      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Or something to do with the French?

Can't we always blame the French? [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 14:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you want fries with that, Ma'am? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 19:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

And by staying beyond what's strictly necessary, you'll increase hatred from extremists, thus causing more attacks to the states, American citizens in foreign soil, and whatever they may consider a symbol of the United States - or the West, for that matter.
There are some good signs that we are making progress towards leaving, though. The successful elections seem to have helped, and I just read an article that attacks on US soldiers are down.

I wouldn't read too much into it, but it's a moderately good sign.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2005 19:25      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I used to dream of visiting the Mid-East. There's some cool stuff to see. And Central Asia has some great peaks. But I wouldn't feel safe going there now or anytime soon. I'm not even sure my own country would let me back in. [Frown]

My grandmother works at the Oriental Institute (U of Chicago) as a hobby; does photography of artifacts, and takes archaeology classes with the Masters/PhD students. She went to Syria for a dig pre-9/11, but decided not to go back afterwards, for exactly those reasons (well, that and the hip replacement). Her professor, the guy in charge of the dig, had it worse ... he's a German citizen with US residency, but he had a hell of a time getting back into the US, even before 9/11. Now, after 9/11 and with all those Syrian stamps - I think Damascus kicked 'em out anyway, but I'm not sure. I do seem to recall that he used to replace his passport about once a year to limit the number of questions he got at customs.

I think he's even reduced the number of trips to visit his family in Germany, because traveling to Syria so many times put him on some sort of watch list. Major bummer for him.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2005 01:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
The successful elections seem to have helped, and I just read an article that attacks on US soldiers are down.

I wouldn't read too much into it, but it's a moderately good sign.

Unless of course, you are an Iraqi.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture