homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Cheer, for it is now okay to be fat! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cheer, for it is now okay to be fat!
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 18:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I'm 6'5" and I weigh 190, I'm trying to drop down to a lower weight class to fight smaller people than me in Tae Kwon Do.

If my conversions are right, you're pretty lean already, aren't you? I'm close to your height, and I was pretty happy weight wise when I weighed about 205 pounds (93 kg or so).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 20:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
I'm 6'5" and I weigh 190, I'm trying to drop down to a lower weight class to fight smaller people than me in Tae Kwon Do.

If my conversions are right, you're pretty lean already, aren't you? I'm close to your height, and I was pretty happy weight wise when I weighed about 205 pounds (93 kg or so).
190 (86 kg) is fairly lean, but you can get a lot leaner.
Before Mrs Druid started me eating regularly, I was about 190cm (6'3") 67kg (147 lbs) and a fitness god (regularly cycled 300-400 km a week).

Now I'm around 100kg, and while I wouldn't want to go back to being skinny as a rake again, I agree with you csk, around 90kg would be better.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Like wrestlers, TKDers are ALWAYS trying to drop down to the next lower weight class.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:25      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Sweat? No problem! Doesn't bother me a bit. Now the heavy breathing and tight chest, those bother me.

How many is it? 27 more weeks? Wait until 3rd trimester, when it's hot outside and you're getting huge. Then you'll really know about heavy breathing, sweating and tight chest! (I speak from experience, my son was due 9/30 and born on 10/16!)
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 00:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Peebs was complaining about taht before she got pregnant. It sounds like what I complain about when I'm having an asthma attack (cold air and/or very heavy exercise = unhappy labrat).

Ironically enough, the best thing for exercise-induced asthma is to get in better shape so you won't breath so hard. The only thing I've really found for the cold is wearing a mask. I suppose I could just use me inhaler too but albuterol tastes like shit.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 04:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:
Sweat? No problem! Doesn't bother me a bit. Now the heavy breathing and tight chest, those bother me.

How many is it? 27 more weeks? Wait until 3rd trimester, when it's hot outside and you're getting huge. Then you'll really know about heavy breathing, sweating and tight chest! (I speak from experience, my son was due 9/30 and born on 10/16!)
Heh. My poor Mom. I was due 9/14, and born on 10/27.

Yes, you read that right. [Big Grin] Six weeks late. 27" long, 9lbs, 4oz. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 06:58      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of you guys are really tall...

I'm 5" 6-ish, and I weight 100 pounds on the dot, around 45 kg.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 23, 2005 07:20      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they left out my category (and many of my peers):

The "So damned busy that I jog or lift when I can but just got called back in to work and my daughter's car just broke down and the toilet is leaking and the church needs a volunteer and my wife just got a sinus infection and my family is mad cause I don't visit enough and oh yeah the OTHER car just broke and don't forget to schedule the ACT and the SAT and oh by the way they need a junior basketball coach and could you be the coordinator for this year's food drive AND charity walk and oh yeah, make a cake for somebody's birthday and good lord some distant relative died and we have to go to a funeral three hours away and still come home and get ready for work the next day and by the way the school called and your kid in in the office crying about something" Category

Why don't people exercise and eat right? Hell, it's no secret to me!!!

[Smile]

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 10:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
IIRC, Peebs was complaining about taht before she got pregnant.

Absolutely right. This is not a new thing for me. Though believe me, I am dreading those hot August days when I'll be as big as a house and trying to exercise.

What is the category for people who start an exercise program, do really well, and then just can't seem to keep it up longer than 2 or 3 weeks?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 10:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is the category for people who start an exercise program, do really well, and then just can't seem to keep it up longer than 2 or 3 weeks?

Typical American?
[Razz] [Wink]

I am in the same boat. 1-2 weeks. Slack off, pack a few pounds on. Complain. Rinse and repeat.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 11:01      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely skinny as a rake. I'm not sure about my exact height, but I'd say I'm around 6'1" or 6'2" and weight around 125-130.

Very skinny, and I hate it. Give me some of that weight you guys don't want any more!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 11:08      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Demosthenes had it first and was nice enough not to say anything about it to me, Serenak, or anybody else that has jumped on the skellie bandwagon.

Oh noes, you guys, you TOTALLY STOLE my avatar. The stock avatar. The one that I probably clicked at random once when I was drunk. You're horrible people. [Razz]

If I had any money in my pocket that wasn't going toward a huge tub of wonton soup to feed me all week long, I'd totally go Super and stop confusing everybody. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until I'm out of debt.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 11:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
The one that I probably clicked at random once when I was drunk. You're horrible people. [Razz]

If I had any money in my pocket that wasn't going toward a huge tub of wonton soup to feed me all week long, I'd totally go Super and stop confusing everybody. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until I'm out of debt.

Well I was on a Grateful Dead kick the month I picked this one out myself.

And when the 5 zeroes disappear from the tail end of what I owe out to everyone, I will probably do the same thing. But I think that I will go with something a bit more tailored to my personality. What would be a good avatar for a grumpy half-Korean guy with a bad habit of looking like a member of the Outsiders?

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 12:20      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I'm definitely skinny as a rake. I'm not sure about my exact height, but I'd say I'm around 6'1" or 6'2" and weight around 125-130.

Very skinny, and I hate it. Give me some of that weight you guys don't want any more!

Didn't you used to be 6'5"?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 14:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
What would be a good avatar for a grumpy half-Korean guy with a bad habit of looking like a member of the Outsiders?

Bruce Lee with a Ducktail haircut wearing a glittery purple glove while riding a Harley. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 14:39      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I started thinking... (bad idea)

I had a roommate a while back that picked up a laughing buddha in TJ. Which after we would give offerings of Camels and liquor. Was painted gold and had a pompadour and sideburns added. Might make a fun avatar.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture