homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Do you scrobble? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you scrobble?
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 14:10      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this week's award for geekiest geek toy goes to...

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/

"Audioscrobbler builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on this site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations."

I heard the originator guy talk at NotCon 04 but only got around to trying it out a couple of weeks ago... It's strangely addictive, in an anally-retentive kind of way...

----------

"Wait a minute... Isn't this Spyware?"

err... n-o-o...

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/help/faq.php#Privacy-spyware

----------

It's everywhere!

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/places/

----------

hey-who now?

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ted_groony

----------

...(Thinks) Anyone up for a GC Group?... Might be interesting to see what junk y'all are listening to, compared to my immaculate and generally impeccable good taste (it was a joke! please don't hit me again...)
;-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 16:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, I love the concept. I wonder how it handles the scenario where a song you aren't that keen on comes on and you quickly skip to the next one.

And yep, I'd definitely be interested in a GC group.

Edit: And here I am.

Edit of Edit: Apparently you have to let at least 50% of a track play for it to be submitted, and any manual skipping/seeking disables it. Clever.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 18:08      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've signed up. I don't listen to a lot of music on my computer (that's what the iPod is for), but ... we'll see.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 18:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magefile has created a geekculture group on there, for any other interested parties.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 20:30      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just joined up. [Big Grin]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 22:05      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just joined up and joined the group.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 22:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, well so far I like n4dmx's taste in music [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 22:37      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto, csk. Great minds think alike. [Wink]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 22:58      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metal is cool.

Too bad my uh..mp3 "backup" collection got wiped [Frown]

Anyway I signed up and *shock* listed my real name.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2005 23:29      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont forget last.fm!

comes with your audioscrobbler account, you get a free month of personal radio(donation required afterwards) and unlimited profile radio.

Click one of the links at your last.fm page (http//last.fm/user/[audio scrobblername]. profile radio is what you listen to and similar music, personal radio is just what you listen to. check mine out at my sig.

edit:

last.fm has amazing streaming quality too, sounds great for free online radio (its great at school, esp if you dont ahve a mp3 player)

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 00:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had time to look at the FAQs, so don't murder me, but I have a few initial quesitons:

If I register on the computer at work, does that mean I have to listen to music at work? Or must I wait and register at home?

What happens if I use more than one music player? Does iTunes for Windows count?

Must I be online when I listen to music or can I update my listening habits once a day (when I dial in to check e-mail)?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 00:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
[QB]If I register on the computer at work, does that mean I have to listen to music at work? Or must I wait and register at home?[/b]

It's just like GC, registration simply creates a user on their system, you can access it from whichever machine(s) you wish.

quote:
What happens if I use more than one music player? Does iTunes for Windows count?
Shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't playing things on more than one machine simultaneously (I read somewhere that it checks whether it's physically possible to listen to as much music as a userid is submitting). As long as a client(ie plugin) is available, you're set.

quote:
Must I be online when I listen to music or can I update my listening habits once a day (when I dial in to check e-mail)?
I guess it depends how the plugin is written. Theoretically it should be able to queue the updates until the network is available, but I'm not sure which plugins support it. It's very nice, though.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 00:09      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
magefile: nice work on setting up the GC group so quickly!

This should be interesting to watch...

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 01:33      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Metal is cool.

Yep it is! I am a well-hidden metalhead [Wink] (I look nothing like the part!)

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 03:53      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I will sign up from home, and then really have fun.

Try over 100 hours of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, and that is just the mp3s. If I start playing my CDs it about trebles that.

Yes, I am a total Metal Head.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 04:00      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a huge metal fan and still am, but I listen to absolutely anything non-pop these days.

I'm going to have to go to Utopia records and buy up all their Dio and Rainbow.

Ronny James Dio makes me swoon (in a totally heterosexual way).

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 04:10      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen both in concert, and Deep Purple as well, yep, that old.

Actually, I prefer Dio's records than his concerts. Ronnie James has an infuriating, IMO, habit of starting on song, switching in the middle to another, then another before finally coming back and finishing the first.
Ok, the little guy can sing though [Wink] .

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 04:22      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh...just found Reign In Blood.

Mmm i'm in hell (a more appropriate description methinks?)

thrash at it's very best.

I don't wear black though. Like, ever.

That's not metal [Frown]

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 06:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. An xmms plugin.. I'm impressed.

I'll try it when I get my network back online methinks.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 07:02      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn iTunes for mac queues up quite a bit, my Airport is fussy, and its submitted 20 songs or more at once when it comes back online. You may have to adjust the settings though. And you have to submit from the computer you were listening on.

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 11, 2005 08:42      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] ... just joined. Now you folks can see what type of junk I listen to, while I'm just pretending to like cool bands like The Smiths [Cool]
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 08:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no way any of the stuff I listen to is going to get in the top 20. Maybe if I make the TTBs! theme available again, we can push it into the charts! [Razz]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 09:04      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 09:18      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now the GC group has more than 10 members, a weekly chart should be generated... *That'll* be something to see ;-)

Right, I'm off home to start playing as much pop music as I can find to offset the Scary Metal Alliance that seems to be coalescing into existence!

L8R d00dlies
:-)

--EDIT--
Almost forgot...
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/hey-U/

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 09:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture