homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Best things in life are free, free, free! Well, sort of ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best things in life are free, free, free! Well, sort of ...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 15:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe UK customs found out about GG's secret ingredient [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 17:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, OK,

I am here and unharmed...

I have received and sampled the Garlic Head BBQ Sauce... Came well packed and in an apparently unbreakable "polycarb" jar..

I know you all are dying for me to say what I think about it, how I used it, etc...

Well I think it'd be unfair to GG and his product to give away more than "I liked it" - after all. in exchange for the freebie GG wants an honest and unbiased opinion and a "serving suggestion" based on what *you* did with it...

When you guys have recieved and tried your free jar I'll happily share my views on it publically... Suffice to say I've used half the jar already...

[thumbsup] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 17:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
... Suffice to say I've used half the jar already...

Yes, but did you 'cook' with it [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 18:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo,

Of course I cooked with it...

It's real good stuff but unless you *really* like raw garlic it's a bit fierce as a dipping sauce...

[Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 08:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Three more jars will be sent this a.m.: -ct-, Macmcseboy and one to a GC'er in Minnesota.

I was a little surprised that Serenak decided go with his, "I'll tell you all later, after you've had a chance to try it," approach. I'm sure he thought it the right thing to do, as he explained. He has quite a bit on his mind these days, as do several other GC members. In his PM's he has been very positive and even shared recipes, etc.

So give the Garlic Head a try when you receive it.
The first thing you should notice when you open the inner seal on the jar will be an overpowering aroma of garlic. This is not a gag or joke. If someone else is in the room when you take the cap off, poke a hole or slit in the seal and give the jar a squeeze. (Unbreakable, recyclable high-tech plastic). The other person(s) in the room will notice the aroma almost immediately. It's *that* potent. (Yes, I am very proud of this - the competition doesn't even come close).

Also, in your private messages, several of you have mentioned your intended uses. As for meat dishes, I'm partial to chicken on the grill, or baked if need be. I thin the Garlic Head sauce with a touch of vinegar (as the label says, it's thick as spackle) to make a bit of marinade. (It really does not take much). Marinate in a shallow dish uncovered in the 'fridge for 4 to 12 hours, turning it occasionally. Then I put a little glaze on the meat when it is cooking, followed by an application of the unthinned sauce for the final 10-15 minutes. The garlic flavor goes completely through the meat. And many who like chicken find the left-overs even better the next day after being refrigerated.

Some of you should receive your sauce in the next 48 hours. Druid, I don't know... I sent it Airmail. Serenak's took about 7 or 8 days. But hey, anticipation serves to heighten the experience, don't you agree? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 08:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait..
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 08:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope to BBQ some chicken should the sauce arrive while the weather is still mild.  -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 11:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather isn't mild here.. it's snowing like a sonuvabitch.

But don't think I haven't barbequed in the winter before. [Big Grin]

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 12:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grill all winter long. A few years ago I ran a gas line out to the grill and converted it to natural gas from propane. Works like a charm down to about 0F.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 13:50      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Not fair, I want to try some.

So you do not ship to either France or Switzerland? [Frown]

Tell ya what SM. Find out from your postal customs folks what the regs are regarding prepared non-perishable grocery items received as a gift and let me know the results in a PM. I'll do what I can. Same holds true for residents of other countries that were not included in the original list of 4. I do not want to disappoint any who would like to have a jar.

How's that?

Sounds good to me, now all I have to do is phone there offices tomorrow, as tonight it is too late.
Normally there should not be a problem, but I will check.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 14:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you suggested how to thin the sauce, GG. Mom was wanting ribs today, but I told her to wait until your sauce comes. I'm going to put them in the crock-pot and see what happens. I was just curious as to how to make a thick paste cover a rack of ribs in a crock-pot, but I'll do the vinegar trick.

Any specific kind of vinegar? Certainly not distilled white vinegar?! Apple cider vinegar okay? What about raspberry wine vinegar?

I'm really excited to get my sauce!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 15:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

I love it when a gal says that [Big Grin]

/coat

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 15:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the Garlic Head BBQ sauce but I don't want to overly influence anyone who's up for a freebie...

On another note...

quote:
Actually original A-1 has no Anchovies, perhaps you are thinking about Worcestershire sauce. There is a company that makes a Vegan Worcestershire Sauce. I picked some up haven't used much, haven't come across many recipes that call for it.

Don't know any recipes that actually say "add a dash of Worcestershire sauce..." but I put it in nearly all my cooking, stirfrys, spag bol, casseroles, corned beef hash, gravy, herbed stock I use to steam veg over, etc. etc.

Yes I know you are a veggie - think aduki bean pie, fennel casserole, vegeburger/sausage mixes, stirfrys, steamed veg, etc. (oh and anything with tofu....)

Personally I think Soy and Worcestershire sauces really enhance vegetable dishes (yes *real* Lea & Perrins original secret recipe Worsestershire contains anchovy extract, but there are passable "anchovy free" copies...)

[Smile]

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 17:39      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nitro and Snaggy: This is a giveaway to your existing registered users of the site. I hope this offer in no way violates your guidelines or ethics. If there is any problem, I trust you will contact me immediately. Otherwise, I would like to send you a two-pack.

Oh sure, just bribe them.

Actually, that sounds really good. Since I dont have 150 posts, I might have to buy some off you.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 17:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

/coat

*Pulls out butcher knife*

Have I shown you my knife collection yet?

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 18:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm glad you suggested how to thin the sauce, GG. Mom was wanting ribs today, but I told her to wait until your sauce comes. I'm going to put them in the crock-pot and see what happens. I was just curious as to how to make a thick paste cover a rack of ribs in a crock-pot, but I'll do the vinegar trick.

Good point. Covered slow cooking would remove any type of thick sauce, and tends to also remove the flavors. It is the steam that cooks with this method.

Any specific kind of vinegar? Certainly not distilled white vinegar?! Apple cider vinegar okay? What about raspberry wine vinegar?

Of the choices you mention: Not distilled white; either raspberry wine or red wine vinegars are good for this, even a balsamic will do nicely. Not too sure about the cider vinegars, but think that would work in a pinch. Rhonwyyn, for this type of meat and method, let me suggest this. Skip the vinegar and instead use either a sweet wine or brandy for thinning the marinade to be used for the actual slow cooking period. Any of these would do, but Madiera, Marsala, or Sherry would be best of the wines. Heck, Mogen David or a cheap port would work. But the point is, you won't lose any flavor while it cooks and tenderizes the meat. Then, remove the meat when it is nearly done, (hopefully you've put some veggies in the broth as well - set those aside in a warm place and save the broth for future use) and glaze it well with the unthinned sauce right out of the jar, put it on a rack in a 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results.

Hey I'm with you on this...
[thumbsup]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 18:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

/coat

/me screams like a girl and runs [Eek!]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 18:44      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her name was Lorena
she was a show girl....

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

/coat

/me screams like a girl and runs [Eek!]
Hey wait!! I needed you to turn the whetstone for me. How else will I dice the celery? I really don't like chunks in the sauce.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

/coat

Even my mind went south on that one, but I was going to behave myself. (for once.)
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Skip the vinegar and instead use either a sweet wine or brandy for thinning the marinade to be used for the actual slow cooking period. Any of these would do, but Madiera, Marsala, or Sherry would be best of the wines. Heck, Mogen David or a cheap port would work. But the point is, you won't lose any flavor while it cooks and tenderizes the meat. Then, remove the meat when it is nearly done, (hopefully you've put some veggies in the broth as well - set those aside in a warm place and save the broth for future use) and glaze it well with the unthinned sauce right out of the jar, put it on a rack in a 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results.
GG, I'm glad you suggested specific wines 'cause the only wine (well, alcohol period) I've ever purchased was the cheapest white in the store. I used it to make chicken one night and a white sauce for pasta another night. Almost six months later, it's still sitting in my fridge.

So if I understand you correctly, I put the ribs, your garlic sauce mixed with some sort of red wine, and some sort of veggies (any suggestions? I'm not familiar with the idea of cooking vegetables with ribs) in the crock-pot (slow cooker) and cook until almost finished. Then I bake the ribs with an undiluted glaze. What does that do for the ribs? Crisps the outside?

It sounds really tasty, I'll admit. I'm eager to try it soon!

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna try mine by cooking it the same way I cook my chicken with diana sauce (I love that stuff)

cook chicken for 45 minutes in the oven in water mixed with the sauce

take it out, put it on a pan, lather the stuff on the chicken and bake the chicken for 15 minutes.

voila.

I can't wait.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:36      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So if I understand you correctly, I put the ribs, your garlic sauce mixed with some sort of red wine, and some sort of veggies (any suggestions? I'm not familiar with the idea of cooking vegetables with ribs) in the crock-pot (slow cooker) and cook until almost finished.

Only put enough liquid in the pot to create steam - do not cover the meat nor fill the pot with marinade.
Add celery and carrots right at the start; add some peeled quartered potatoes 90 minutes before you are going to remove the ribs. All vegetables should be placed below the meat in the pot.

Then I bake the ribs with an undiluted glaze. What does that do for the ribs? Crisps the outside?

Yes. It makes an incredible sticky glaze that, if done just right, will begin to carmelize and darken. The potatoes could go into the oven with the ribs (top of the oven). Depending on the oven you made need to use higher heat than 350 F (not above 400 F actual temp though). Then it's time to take it out and enjoy it.

It sounds really tasty, I'll admit. I'm eager to try it soon!

I'm thinkin' the postman'll have it with him tomorrow; Friday at the latest.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'm gonna try mine by cooking it the same way I cook my chicken with diana sauce (I love that stuff)

take it out, put it on a pan, lather the stuff on the chicken and bake the chicken for 15 minutes.

voila.

I can't wait.

"lather the stuff on the chicken" - How I love that phrase... [Big Grin]

Your method should work well, dnm, but I would try to get you to use either a mild but flavorful vinegar or a sweet wine instead of water.
Sounds to me as though you know what you like and that's the most important thing. [thumbsup]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 19:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

voila.

I can't wait.

"lather the stuff on the chicken" - How I love that phrase... [Big Grin]

Your method should work well, dnm, but I would try to get you to use either a mild but flavorful vinegar or a sweet wine instead of water.
Sounds to me as though you know what you like and that's the most important thing. [thumbsup]

My vinegar is packed for the move, and I hate wine. [Smile]

Water usually does the trick OK for me, I realise they tend to seperate pretty quickly, but the flavour usually gets in good enough for me...

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture