homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » bugger (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: bugger
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 05:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to add my thoughts to everyone else's. Good luck.

On the bright side (if there is such a thing), the fact that this cancer is rare means that your sister may attract interest from doctors with a high level of expertise who may have some new ideas. That is generally how it works with rare disorders/medical issues.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 15:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update!

Yes, it's been a while. The wheels of medecine turn slowly with much dithering once you reach adulthood.

So she will not be treated in the adult hospital because the adult surgeons took one lok at her CT scans and flipped out (she lost her vena cava in cancer round 1 so she's got blood vessels where the rest of us don't have blood vessels). The pediatric hospital with the pediatric surgeons are willing to operate as they seem to think the adult docs panic easily. So she's going in at 8 tomorrow morning. We're expecting the surgery to take tweelve hours, though hopefully it'll be about half that. She has a different surgeon as the guy who operated on her in the past is out with back problems. This makes us all nervous.

The worst part is, those goddam adult docs at the UW scared her. THe surgeon she went in to see didn't actually LOOK at her records until she was in his office with him and then, while she was sitting in front of him, flipped his lid and now she thinks that she's going to die. So she quit her job to be with my parents. This is the first time Sisthine has ever let this disease take any more out of her life than absolutely necessary, and that's got me scared.

I offered to go back to Seattle but my parents said no, Sisthine wants to visit me in March. I was always local when she faced her other surgeries. I feel so cut off now.

I don't know what I'll do if they kill her tomorrow. And I really really don't want to know what my dad will do. He's not taking this well at all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god......Y'all are in a tough spot. Hope everything goes well.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine:
Really tough situation for you.
I know you're not religious in the sense of being churchy. So I don't mean to offend when I mention 'faith'. But we all have faith: faith in doctors,hospitals, medicines, science, whatever. Putting faith in an unseen spirit is more difficult for many. No matter.

Spiritual music can soothe the soul, expecially the one in torment. Perhaps you are familiar with a song that Enya made famous on her Shepherd Moons album, the one titled, "How can I keep from singin'"? It is actually an old Shaker hymn. The best line in it, and one of my favorites in times of crisis is: " Since Love is Lord of Heaven and Earth, how can I keep from singing?". But the entire song is worth listening to at times like these. Hope you don't mind the suggestion.

My God Bless, keep and comfort you, your sister and your entire family, now and forever. Amen

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Pick up the phone and book a seat on the first flight to Seattle.

Family is far more important than whatever you're doing at university, and I'm sure your sis will really appreciate having you there, no mater what she might be saying now.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for sisthine.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 17:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, repeating the same thing everyone else has said probably doesn't make it mean anymore, but I wish Sisthine the best, and I hope she makes it out of all of this OK.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 17:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah,

So much for the vaunted "knights of medicine" huh?

Good on the paedratricians for having the guts to deal with what needs to be done and a *huge* BOOSHAKAYA for the goon that couldn't even have the decency to read up the damn case notes before meeting the patient, who the hell do they think *they* are?

If I didn't read the brief before the client was at the other side of the desk (in my designer mode) I think serious questions would have been asked about my fitness for the job....!!!

Within reason consider going home (even if just for a weekend). You have faith in your sister's recovery and I send you every hope in that but regardless of what your family say I think you need to be together (I don't think many employers/departments are going to consider your situation trivial either...) Yes, life gets in the way, but I think you need to be there as much as anything else... I get the impression that being so far away is hurting you really bad just now.

Hell, I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do but sometimes what people *really* want is clearer to others than themselves...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 18:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I offered to go out there already. I even offered to pay for the tix 'cuz my credit limit can take it. But they told me to stay here and sis will come out to visit me and bro in March. I was hanging on okay until today.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 21:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: I wish you, your sister, and your whole family the best in these coming days. I hope all goes well (or better than well, even [Big Grin] ), and your sis is back on her feet in no time. She's a great person, and certainly doesn't deserve the junk that lousy doc gave her. That's another case of the medical profession pissing me off. Meh.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 21:40      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what it's like for a doctor flip out, but unfortunately for that doctor, they didn't know what it's like for my mom to flip out, but they learned, quickly.

I had a problem with my thumb, it looked athritic(and that is indeed what it is ) but they thought it may be because of some sort of infection, so they were going to do a culture of fluids from it and see what might come of it.

Before they did it, the doctor that was going to be taking the cultures from the joint wakes my mom up at like, 6 in the morning, when she is a diabetic and went to sleep without her pump on, saying "Well, I really don't agree with the other doctors, so before I am going to do this surgery I want you to sing a paper" so he takes out a sheet of paper and writes on it "I, the undersigned, acknowledge the following risks involved with the procedures listed below." and then he writes "LOSS OF LIMB" in huge letters, and the name of the procedure. My mom FLIPPED and that doctor quit working in the childrens hospital last I heard.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 02:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a living nightmare. I haven't anything wise or comforting to say, but thinking of you and your family.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 10:18      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. And I send a huge e-hug and a mug of Earl Grey tea. To my mom tea was the great panacea and it gives you something to do with your hands while you fret. Again huge e-hug.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
michellina
Newbie Larva
Member # 3428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 11:43      Profile for michellina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine, I am truly sorry to hear about your sisterís illness. Donít let that one doc get you down! Your sis has other doctors who are fighting for her! And she has come so far already in her battle with cancer. She has the strength to get through this, but nevertheless, you, your sis and your family are in my prayers [Smile] Good luck!

--------------------
"If there's nothing wrong with ME...maybe there's something wrong with the universe." - Dr. Beverly Crusher ST:TNG

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 19:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it took about eleven hours, but the tumor is out. It's definitely cancerous, most likely the same one she had before. She's stable and they didn't have to remove any organs or parts of organs (the first time 'round she was not so lucky). So I get to keep my favorite sister. [Big Grin]

*Phew*

It's been one helluva day.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 20:11      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news [thumbsup]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 20:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so awesome lab mousie! I'm happy for you and my sister. I was honestly wondering about that today.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 20:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOT ! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 09, 2005 21:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears]

wonderful news! [Happytears]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 21:25      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May you all enjoy a good rest now.

*Joy*

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 23:47      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am relieved to hear that things went well. [thumbsup]

I really hope things will continue to get better for you all. [Smile]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 10, 2005 02:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant news X! [Happytears]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 04:45      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great News Xanthine.

<Sends a virtual get well card, with virtual flowers.>

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 07:42      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome news. Glad to hear the surgery is over. Prayers and good wishes for her continued recovery.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 10, 2005 18:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update:

First, a bit of background...

When surgeons remove tumors they take out little pieces of surrounding tissue and send them to pathology for evaluation to evaluate the margins. Sisthine had several of these tissue sections taken yesterday, including a bit from her pancreas.

The section from her pancreas came back positive for tumor cells. They're going to open her up again tomorrow and perform what's known as a Whipple procedure. In this surgery they will remove the portion of her pancreas near her stomach and a chunk of her duodeum. I've read up on this since my dad sent the e-mail and it looks like she will not be dependent on insulin and she should be able to eat normally after recovery. But geez...

I have told my parents I want to come back, and asked them how long they want me to stay. I have yet to hear from them.

If any of you had or know someone who has had a Whipple procedure, PM me. I want to know what was the outcome, how the recovery went, what went well, what went bad, just tell me everything. I'm scared.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 11, 2005 04:41      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Hugs Xanthine>
Not much more I can do [Frown]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture