homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Give - because you can

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Give - because you can
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2004 00:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been watching the news of the tsunami.

I have no words to describe my feelings on seeing rows of tiny little bodies lined up in makeshift morgues, or the weeping mothers, or dazed fathers digging through rubble looking for their kids.

What I will say is this, many of the survivors have lost not just their homes and loved ones, but their livelihoods. With the fields they rely on poisoned by salt water, or the tourist resorts they worked in destroyed, their future is looking bleak, unless we help them rebuild.

I know it's just after xmas, and most of us have spent too much on festive frivolities, but please, give what you can.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2004 13:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt's parent's house burned down Christmas day.

My aunt's father smelled smoke, so they went downstairs to see what was up. The heat had already reached a level and the smoke was already so bad down there that the floor joists were already beginning to crack and fall down. He ran upstairs and told everyone to get the fsck out.

No sooner were they all out of the house, when the place was gone. Levelled. It caved in. The furnace malfunctioned and torched the place.

They live in rural Newfoundland (I know, what part of Newfoundland isn't rural?). No insurance. Everything gone. No momentos made it, no gifts, nothing. Just the people and the clothes on their backs.

The only upside to all of it is that because it's a rural newfoundland community, everyone in the community will get together and build them a new house. Won't cost them a thing except some elbow grease.

My parents paid $1100 to have my aunt fly back to Newfoundland to be with her family since my aunt and her husband (my father's brother) couldn't afford it.

I don't even know these people, so it's not like I'm overly distraught, but it's still upsetting to hear something that terrible happen to good people. Especially on Christmas day.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 28, 2004 09:06      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its terrible whats happened to these people.
Does anyone know of a reliable donation site to help?
[Frown]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 28, 2004 09:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've set up some links to the Red Cross on the JoT page. They are looking for donations of cash, as that is the best way to help these people quickly.

here's a few of the links...

http://www.redcross.org.uk/homepage.asp

https://secure.csfm.com/redcross/

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 03:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy_______I have to agree that the Red Cross in one fine way to help, also consider the Salvation Army, they have mobile kitchens that can be flown in to disaster areas and set up. I have been following the relief reports and right now these agencies need cash more than supplies at this time, so reach into your pockets and give. If any of you have shortwave radios you can listen in to the relief net that usually runs on 14265 USB (upper sideband)

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 09:15      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also donate to the red cross at Amazon.com using "1 click"
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jfw
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 08:11      Profile for jfw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.apple.com currently lists several relief agencies performing disaster relief work (reposted here for your convenience, but you might want to check www.apple.com to see if they add any more, or just in case I've mispasted some of the URLs):

American Red Cross International Response Fund

AmeriCares South Asia Earthquake Relief Fund

Direct Relief International International Assistance Fund

Médecins Sans Frontières International Tsunami Emergency Appeal

Oxfam Asian Earthquake & Tsunami Fund

Sarvodaya Relief Fund for Tsunami Tragedy

UNICEF South Asia Tsunami Relief Efforts

(Dell Computer, of course, just has links to the usual disasters they have for sale...)

Posts: 20 | From: Boxboro Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 11:40      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to check the charities out at
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/catid/38/cpid/227.htm

For what it is worth, here is a message form Arthur C Clarke: http://www.aero-news.net/news/aerospace.cfm?ContentBlockID=94ee37e5-cebd-4ded-9fcf-2e51e1c5e3a6&Dynamic=1

(it is relevant since he lives in Sri Lanka)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture