homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » any canadians sympathize with right wing american politics? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: any canadians sympathize with right wing american politics?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 06:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no more exclamations to use [Eek!] Why are Canadians bad? "Because they speak French"?!! What the hell is that woman on?! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 06:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only french speaking Canadians we have are in New Brunswick. The people in Quebec speak Quebecois and Joual. [Wink]

Madit tabernaque l'esti

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 06:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
The only french speaking Canadians we have are in New Brunswick. The people in Quebec speak Quebecois and Joual. [Wink]

Madit tabernaque l'esti

Still have a lot to learn on Quebecois, I see - that should be "Maudit tabernak d'estie d'câlisse".

Oh, and in New Brunswick, they speak Acadian: "J'étions parti vôêre si l'filet l'étiont point déchiré." (Sorry, my Acadian vocabulary is not as good as it could be - I would have loved to use some of those words where you see the thing just hearing the name, but I just can't remember them.)

So that leaves only a few villages in northern Manitoba where they still speak French.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 06:50      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Madit tabernaque l'esti

C'est pas hostie?

[Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 07:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:

Madit tabernaque l'esti

Still have a lot to learn on Quebecois, I see - that should be "Maudit tabernak d'estie d'câlisse".

I'm working on it. [Wink]

Best Franglais swearing I ever heard was from an electrician here a few months ago.

"tabarnak d'calisse fucking manger de merde cocksuckers!"

Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 10, 2004 08:03      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to the original question - yes, there are a few people that idolize right-wing American politics. We used to call them the Reform party. (The current name is the "Conservative" party)

As for Ms. Coulter, she's basically an amalgam of neo-cons in drag. The only thing she's got going for her is she looks better than Rumsfeld in a skirt.

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 08:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
In response to the original question - yes, there are a few people that idolize right-wing American politics. We used to call them the Reform party. (The current name is the "Conservative" party)

As for Ms. Coulter, she's basically an amalgam of neo-cons in drag. The only thing she's got going for her is she looks better than Rumsfeld in a skirt.

Only in the US of A would someone that STUPID get any time on network television.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 09:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Madit tabernaque l'esti

Wot?

What about the Acadians in the east, and the Metis in Sask and Manitoba?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 10:11      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to say 2 things.

First of all these people that were on the video are selling an image. It sells, plain and simple. Howard Stern sells his shock jock image. They sell the chauvanist white American image. People are shocked at what they see, and read so they tune in and buy the books. Sadly, people buy the opinion and take it to heart (the same people who think that wrestling is real)

Second, I have a confession to make. Up until recently I loved being very antiCanadian. Not for any reason except that I thought we were too much alike. I thought it was fun to make fun of Canadians because really what is different about us. A Canadian looks just like an American, we are neighbors, so if I decide to be antiCanadian it is funny because I have no reason to be antiCanadian. I hope that makes sense. It was all about being funny. So officially, I am sorry to all you Canadians I offended over the years. I thought I was having fun with something that was not an issue, but it looks like it is.

No, Americans are not idiots like those 2 on teh video, they are selling an image that is not true. Yea we have small political differences, and we have slightly different views of the world, but that is the way of the world. We are actually very similar in a larger picture, and I am very glad to have Canada as a neighbor.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 13:27      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sayeth zboy:

quote:
I thought it was fun to make fun of Canadians because really what is different about us. A Canadian looks just like an American, we are neighbors, so if I decide to be antiCanadian it is funny because I have no reason to be antiCanadian. ... I offended over the years. I thought I was having fun with something that was not an issue, but it looks like it is.
There's a big difference between a humorous gibe about Canadians (or vice versa) and the vitriolic spewage that was escape from Ms. Coulter's mouth.

You are correct when you observe that it's perhaps a little more sensitive than you would first think. There's a few reasons for this:

1. The bald-faced assumption that people like Coulter make that 'what's good for the US is good for Canada'.

2. Canadians are forever being asked what differentiates us from the US.

3. The last 4 years of GWB in the White House has seriously alienated a _LOT_ of Canadians. We may be the mouse sleeping beside the elephant (to borrow from Pierre Trudeau), but we aren't a doormat.

4. We get to see crap like Ms. Coulter on TV. Another thing that does precious little to build up goodwill...

I realize that Coulter (and others) are selling an image - that doesn't mean I have to like it or what it represents.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 15:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a mistake to call Ann Coulter or Tucker Carlson stupid. They are both very clever, articulate, and effective debaters, (but so was Josef Goebbels). They aim to provoke anger so they can claim that their opponents (and indeed all liberals) are the ones who are unreasonable, while they are purveyors of plain common sense. So just don't let them push your buttons, it only plays into their hands, and increases their sense of self importance.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 17:00      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
probably a repost, but...

http://moronland.com/media/videos/presaddress.mov

edit: holy shit i don't think thats his actual speech

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 20:18      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous,

I beg to differ. Coulter doesn't engage in debate. Like most of the 'extreme right wing' lately, she engages in shouting down her opponents. (When, of course, she isn't sneering at them)

Have you ever noticed that her lines of reasoning are highly loaded with emotional content, rather than actual intelligent reason? That isn't debate, that's no more than cheap theatrics.

(But then again, I'm loathe to call what passes for a 'candidate's debate' these days a "debate" in any sense I understand the word.)

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 00:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in BC we speake french too...

Maudit Christ de tabarnak d'estie d'merde !
Eh Oui mon pere etais Quebequois. Je sui fiere do savoir sacrer comme du monde.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 00:59      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a more serious note... I thinks its time we burned down their White House.......

.... Again.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 01:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
On a more serious note... I thinks its time we burned down their White House.......

.... Again.

Don't be silly, every American knows that America won The War of 1812

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 02:40      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the war ended in an effective tie, as no side gained any land. and that song is inaccurate in that the alamo was not a war in itself, it was instead a battle in a larger war, which lead to yet an even larger one. both of which we won [Wink]

but touche indeed on burning the white house down.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 03:42      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disclaimer: The views expressed by our pundits and our president are not necessarily the views of all of Americans.

The sheer arrogance that Ann and the other conservative rubbernecks display on that show is appalling. Saying that the cream of the crop head to the US, and the troublemakers head to Canada is a very dismissive attitude.

(Oh, and Tucker Carleson is a peckerheaded dork. Any idiot who can say "welcome to our century" and wear a bow tie is immediately disqualified from having a rational opinion.)

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 08:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of the fine Canadians that contribute to this august forum, I have to admit that as a Vet. and having fought to protect this republic, U.S.A. I am ashamed of many of our elected officals, and especially the currant batch of political pundents "I fought to protect these idiots"? I am sickened by the thought.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5837 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 12:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:

.... Again.

Don't be silly, every American knows that America won The War of 1812
Nitpick: The war the Alamo was part of was not fought by Americans. It was fought by a bunch of Texans declaring independence from Mexic. Once they got their independence, they asked to be annexed by the US, and they were.

Stupidest move the US ever made.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 12, 2004 00:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
So just don't let them push your buttons, it only plays into their hands....

(begin melodrama)
Gasp! Oh no, the secret is revealed ! With this knowledge, vulgarity and name-calling may cease. People will look beyond simple shock-imagery in order to understand events which are driven by a multitude of unseen forces, and speak with clarity and restraint.

Curse your rational discourse Mr. Callipygous.
(end melodrama)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 01:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Gasp! Oh no, the secret is revealed ! With this knowledge ... People will ... understand events ... and speak with clarity and restraint.

No risk of that in your case ASM.

(!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)   (!)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 10:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)
(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 10:47      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are such asses.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 13:21      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
You guys are such asses.

Yep. They've hit rock bottom, I'm afraid
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture