homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Food for Oil Program (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Food for Oil Program
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Canadian Tire will ever open a store outside of Canada.

If they did, would they still call it Canadian Tire.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CT (Canadian Tire, for you non canucks) actually prints their own money. I'm not sure if that is legal. But that Brazilian hooker didn't seem to mind being paid in Canadian Tire money.

-

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeeeeah!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 24, 2004 20:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vic, you're my personal hero right now [Big Grin] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 21:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is my personal hero.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 22:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
This guy is my personal hero.

Yeah, I saw mention of that earlier...very cool dude. Still, the Cap'n beats him right now IMHO, in terms of sheer performance power. I mean, reading that (or skimming, anyway) was a thing of beauty. Also of note is that I probably consider the math thing all but impossible for /most/ of us. That takes one hell of a fast brain, and some finely tuned algorithims (well, sets of them). So says a guy who occasionally does long division of big numbers in his head in the shower...just for the heck of it (and probably because I might need to know the answer [though it could probably wait a few mins]). I have to go through more than a bit of work to keep all the numbers lined up, and whatnot, so I have a deep appreciation for the astounding feat this guy can perform.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 22:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Vic, you're my personal hero right now [Big Grin] .

It is a new tactic I am developing....rather than flaming a troll which has become boring with this particular individual, I tried a two prong diversionary approach:

Part 1

Google: funny+short+story+computers Wade thru crap, compile a huge ass post in an attempt to force the thread to a new page and bury the troll post.

Part 2

Stream of consciousness posting. While I don't recommend this to n00bs and the feint of heart it is pretty cool, none the less. What you need to do is dim the lights, play some soothing music (early Metallica works for me) loosen any tight fitting clothing....breathe....

Post what ever enters your mind.....there are no rules, except that goddamn anti spam post thing running that makes you wait 60 seconds to post a reply to your post. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 00:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm enjoying the 'moon' smiley so much, I think I might try developing some new smilies...

This one needs to be rendered in a non-proportional font
code:
\   /
- -
|
-=-
V

- Satan Smiling.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 00:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
loosen any tight fitting clothing....breathe....

I think you just want to see us with our bras off. [Wink]
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:26      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... as with the Marshall Plan which provided aid to Europe, or the reconstruction of Japan, but was there a benefit to non-Americans as well? (Off topic -- it's just a rhetorical question.)

I wasn't talking about the Marshall Plan, I was talking about post-Marshall Plan foreign policy and its general trends.

Given that the US is one of the privileged countries which holds veto powers within the UN Security Council {the body that had to approve the Oil for Food program } recent US foreign policy is eminently relevant to the topic at hand - the US would not have allowed the program to go forward if it was contrary to their overall policy objectives.

quote:
However, several people in the forums seem to consider themselves "intellectuals" but their behavior and language don't indicate rational discussion. Avoiding a subject, using vulgar language, and making personal attacks is usually a sign of limited intelligence, not enlightenment.
Brilliant, ASM. You have just insulted _every_ person on these forums. I think you owe a lot of people an apology. [Mad]

Second, if you _want_ intelligent discussion about a topic like the Oil For Food program, it's usually a good idea to start by putting forth a position that is coherent, and people can discuss. You didn't do that, and the conversation wandered off down other tangents - _DEAL WITH IT_.

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

This *is* Cap'n Vic. Isn't that obvious?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Post what ever enters your mind.....there are no rules, except that goddamn anti spam post thing running that makes you wait 60 seconds to post a reply to your post. [Big Grin] [/QB]

I thought I was the only one annoyed by that. [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groggle sadly there is absolutely no point in discussing politics with ASM. We have all tried, too many times and for far far too long. Best simply to ignore him, or you'll just get another of those long incomprehensible and wearisome posts with lots of numbers and random stuff in bold.

Even thinking of them makes me yawn involuntarily,

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:27      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous,

To be honest, I don't post for ASM's gratification - there are others on these forums who are articulate and make some rather intriguing points.

ASM is pointedly oblivious to anything beyond his assumption that everything his country does is inherently "good"

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

How do you know I haven't already? Muhahahaha [evil]

Turn your webcam to the wall while getting dress in the morning folks [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 13:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to change my own oil, now I just leave it in there and add more when the light comes on.

I like Olive Oil for cooking the best.

Olive Oyl is very annoying.

If possesion is 9/10ths of the law, what's the other 10th?

Dead dinosaurs make up oil. Are exhaust fumes then the ghosts of dinosaurs?

I'm full of turkey. L-tryptophan is clouding my thinking.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 14:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<sfx>
tap tappity-tap-tap
tap tappity-tap-tap
</sfx>

Look at me mum, I'm dancing !

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 15:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it odd how everybody refers to it as L-tryptophan. All naturally occuring amino acids are L (with the alanine in bacterial cell walls being the one notable exception). That's just how living things work.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 17:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I find it odd how everybody refers to it as L-tryptophan. All naturally occuring amino acids are L (with the alanine in bacterial cell walls being the one notable exception). That's just how living things work.

Not me, I just refer to it as pure, unadulterated, tryptophan - damn fine stuff, that [Smile] .

/me sits very comfortably in his chair, having just had a fine meal...

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 17:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah yeah yeah, rub it in...

/me hasn't eaten yet

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 18:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah yeah yeah, rub it in...

/me hasn't eaten yet

No, me neither [Frown]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 18:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this, a Manticore reunion ?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 19:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
What is this, a Manticore reunion ?

Ooh, it's been ages since I've seen Dark Angel - great series. For some reason, I forgot about Manticore being related to that - instead, I thought about this short-lived, but cool, series:
http://www.tvtome.com/MANTIS/
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0110414/

Seeing the date on that makes me feel a bit old :-P.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 25, 2004 19:24      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 00:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<stream of conciousness....>

girls with their bras off, nice... lovely female bodies...

round fleshy curves... what was that noise... go away cat I am try,,, go away kitten, no, I mean go away... OK, more food,..

shut cats out of room you mug... what was I thinking about... Oh yeah boobies.. Is that the baby crying? What babe? You're gonna feed her now and then lie her down again... OK.

What time is it, really, check again, no that actually is the time, right... Focus man focus... Damn, my glass is empty - where is the bottle.. How can it be empty? Did you drink some when I wasn't looking? Garfield did what? Oh it's just some TV ad.. Where was I?

Oh yes, the lovely fleshy curves of a well, "get off cat, no - get off, I thought I shut them out? Out, out, get out... right, now I have shut them out, I have haven't I? Check the door again...

Damn, now what was I thinking about? Oh yes, babies... I think. Am I sure... Damn, now I need to pee... Hold on it wasn't babies - or was it?

No, damn I have to pee now. Did I get more wine or... No, I must go pee...

Now, where was I...

WTF is that.. You cannot seriously be advertising that as... Damn, Ruth is crying again... Wait five and see if the "soothing projections send her back off...

What's the time? No! It can't be! Really...

Yes I am coming to bed... When I finish this post... What is it about? Look, I'll be up in ten mins... No. really, I will

Now, what was I posting on... I'm sure it had something to do with... NowESJ////

what

</stream of conciousness....>

PS J. Joyce is just PANTS... I don't care what the Arty Farts say... Grammar ans spelling are there for a reason... Stream of conciousness "MY ARSE...!" Any [email protected]* can do

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 11:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Serenak. Stream of self consciousness. You are not Cap'n Vic

You are an uptight Brit like me. [shake head]

We just can't do it. [cry baby]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture