homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Food for Oil Program (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Food for Oil Program
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 22:57      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to be to the point here.

If I answer your question regarding my opinion on the Oil For Food program are you going to say that I'm stupid, don't know what I'm talking about, and anti-american? If so, yes I am quite stupid. No, I don't know what I'm talking about. And, yes, I am anti-american.

So... with that aside.

I don't really have an opinion about it, and neither should you. I do think it sucks that this money could have went to the wrong place, but I also hate oil. I hate gas. Then again, I hate everything, including you.

So, what am I?

Tell them something they don't already know.

Edit: Yes, I know, Oil For Food was a UN thing, not a US thing, but I know that such things as the anti-american thing are to be expected from the starter of this thread, and I wanted to go ahead and shoot that one down.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what can be done about that $20 billion? Demand the Iraqi government we just installed pay up? Pay it ourselves since we're the ones more or less in charge over there now? That'd be rich, us paying the UN back the money Saddam stole when we haven't even paid our UN dues in decades, especially since we're spending in the red already. The money is gone and the man responsible for it's disappearance was pulled out of a hole months ago. There's nothing to think or argue about. It's a complete and total non-issue. If you want to post trollish, bullshit threads, at least make them relevant to 2004 and not 1998.

Personally, I think UN sanctions in general are ineffective. So are airstikes, and pre-emptive wars are just plain immoral. I think the best intervention is to help arm and organize home-grown opposition and NOT ABANDON that opposition. Unfortunately, the US is really bad at that last little bit. We abandoned the Iraqi people after urging them to rise up at the end of the first Gulf War, we abandoned the Serbs when they rose up against Milosevic (though they eventually rose up again on their own), and those are just the examples I can pull out of my ass at midnight.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM,

Is it fun being really stupid?

I mean, is it like being stoned all the time?

Oh, nearly forgot...

(!)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, TFD. Are you trying to turn poor Xanthine into a vegetable? You saw what happened when you did that last time!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me cowers and covers her eyes

Someone, please, please, please, with a cherry on top, staple TFD's drawers to his ass!!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think was happening with the leadership change in Chile from Allende to Pinochet?

Who benefited, and how? Did it achieve its stated goals?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
What do you think was happening with the leadership change in Chile from Allende to Pinochet?

Who benefited, and how? Did it achieve its stated goals?

I'm confused.

Was Pinochet in the habit of mooning the Chilean people?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:49      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I don't know where you're getting that from. If I've slandered any political leaders in this thread, then please quote where I've done it. All I want is people's opinions on a simple question.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 01:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I don't know where you're getting that from. If I've slandered any political leaders in this thread, then please quote where I've done it. All I want is people's opinions on a simple question.
Are you saying all those people died in Iwo-Jima for nothing ?????

--------------------

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 01:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get back on topic, and give ASM a break.

I think the best oil for food is olive oil. Engine oil tastes disgusting. Never pay $20 bn for it, but do use the best quality oil you can afford, as the better the oil the better the vinaigrette. Too little vinegar is much better than too much, so don't overdo it.

This is my best vinaigrette, for 1 bowl of salad mix

a pinch of salt
a grind of pepper
a dab of Dijon mustard
a pinch of sugar

1 teaspoon (tsp) red wine vinegar
2 tsp walnut oil
2 tsp olive oil

This makes a really nice vinaigrette with a subtle nutty flavour. I also vary the oils and vinegar for different effects. If you use balsamic vinegar, it is sweet already so omit sugar. For a garlicky vinaigrette use only olive oil and mash up 1/2 a clove of garlic with the salt using the back of a knife until it becomes a cream then add the rest

Try to make enough vinaigrette to barely coat the leaves, it should not dominate the salad and there certainly should be no pool of vinaigrette at the bottom of the bowl.

If however you are short of time, just put your thumb over the bottle tops and roughly drizzle the salad with the oil and vinegar, add a little seasoning and toss. This takes no time at all, but is much nicer than any salad dressing out of a bottle.

What are your favourite salads?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 02:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Cal, the subject was "Food for Oil".

While you posh English types may run your Bentleys on extra-virgin olive oil, we no-bullshit antipodeans run our utes on bio-deisel made from any old used vegetable oil, rapeseed (aka canola) soy, sunflower, peanut, whatever the local fish and chip shop is throwing out.

In Queensland (and Brasil) they're getting quite good results running cars on sugar (once it's been converted into alcohol).

Oh, btw, how do you stop the mustard from clogging the carby ?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 03:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you people discuss vegetable oil at a time like this?

Did Pinochet come to power by himself, or did he have help? Did the US sit and do nothing to stop a brutal dictator coming to power? Was the country more democratic pre or post Pinochet?

I'm not seeing anyone trying to answer these questions, so I don't know what anyone is thinking in amongst all the inanity. Perhaps you all hate America because it actually deals with questions like this, rather than pretending they don't exist.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 03:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk, please.

Don't you know that olive oil and chilli just don't mix ?

--------------------

Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 07:11      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Says CSK:
[QUOTE
Did Pinochet come to power by himself, or did he have help? Did the US sit and do nothing to stop a brutal dictator coming to power? Was the country more democratic pre or post Pinochet?
[/QUOTE]

First of all, I'd be cautious about holding up anything in Central/South America in the '70s and '80s as an example of "something good". During that period, the United States directly or indirectly backed a number of horrific regimes - simply because they were "right-aligned" rather than "left aligned".

For example, Pinochet was backed by the US, and he overthrew a _DEMOCRATICALLY_ELECTED_, legal government that happened to be left-leaning. What followed that coup was one of the worst dictatorships to impose itself in South America. Did the US step in? NO - they backed Pinochet - tacitly and explicitly. Chile is nominally a democracy today, but still a deeply troubled country.

Manuel Noriega from Panama is another example of a brutal dictator backed by US foreign policy - until he became "inconvenient".

Add to this list el Salvador, Argentina, and other South American countries which have labored under dictatorships and military juntas, and you will find, almost without fail, the hand of various US agencies propping these regimes up - often for no better reason than their apparent political alignment.

It's equally notable that while Hussein was fighting with Iran, he was getting all kinds of help from the American government.

I could go on at length about this, there are many examples. My point is this - the US doesn't do anything for altruistic reasons such as "liberation" or "democratization" of another country. US Foreign Policy (and their military and intelligence ops are part of that picture) are done for US interests ONLY - however obtuse and obscure they may be. (No matter who they manage to convince to help them) The only thing you can take for granted in that world is the notion that if the Government says their intentions are X, you can be pretty sure there's other motives behind it.

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 07:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why do I keep seeing chili oil on the shelves?

Cal: I like any salad with goat cheese and no meat. And no olives either. Can't stand those things.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 09:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you people have any idea how many child labourers have died harvesting extra virgin (whatever that means) olives in mountain regions of southern Italy? Just last week three worker died after slipping on meatballs.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 09:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were the meatballs doing on the floor near the olive press?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 09:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were being used to keep the tomatos from rolling around, silly.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 12:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
What were the meatballs doing on the floor near the olive press?

They're part of Italys WMD (Weapons of Meatball Distribution) program.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 18:32      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I don't really have an opinion about it, and neither should you.

If it's ok to have opinions on other matters involving world politics, why should someone not have an opinion in this case?

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
If you want to post ... threads, at least make them relevant to 2004 and not 1998.

The money from the program must be somewhere. If you spent $20 million a year, $20 billion would give you 1000 years of spending money. Why would people not be concerned about where the money is or how it is being used? Of what value is the assumption that the money simply disappeared and that it's irrelevant after a few years?

quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:
US Foreign Policy (and their military and intelligence ops are part of that picture) are done for US interests ONLY - however obtuse and obscure they may be.

... as with the Marshall Plan which provided aid to Europe, or the reconstruction of Japan, but was there a benefit to non-Americans as well? (Off topic -- it's just a rhetorical question.)

So far, Xanthine has posted the most reasonable response, whether I agree with it or not:
quote:
The money is gone and the man responsible for it's disappearance was pulled out of a hole months ago. There's nothing to think or argue about.
However, several people in the forums seem to consider themselves "intellectuals" but their behavior and language don't indicate rational discussion. Avoiding a subject, using vulgar language, and making personal attacks is usually a sign of limited intelligence, not enlightenment.

At this point I imagine "everyone" will follow Xanthine's opinion since they're either afraid or unable to express what they think happened. However, I think the most "anti-intellectual" statement made was that people "shouldn't have an opinion" on particular matters. No opinion implies that no thought was given to the matter. (Note: Some people may have a fear of "ASM-will-call-me-stupid" but it shouldn't keep anyone from reading the news and formulating opinions on world events.)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astute Visionaries?

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"There is no real need for sales people. Customers will be attracted to good products without assistance." -- Ken Olson, addressing a convention of DEC sales people

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.

"Who would want to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or, we' ll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And, they said, 'No.' So then, we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools." -- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work.

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training." -- Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." -- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872 "The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon." -- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

--------------------------------------------------

Believe It Or Not!
A cockroach will live nine days without its head, before it starves to death.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

A snail can sleep for three years.

All Polar bears are left-handed.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs only have about ten.

Cat's urine glows under a black light.

China has more English speakers than the United States.

Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

I am. is the shortest complete sentence in the English language

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall and have a neck twice the length of a normal human's neck.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

No word in the English language rhymes with month.

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the '30s lobbied against hemp farmers, they saw it as competition.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.

Starfish haven't got brains.

Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.

The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth 2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."

The Pentagon, in Arlington, Virginia, has twice as many bathrooms as is necessary. When it was built in the 1940s, the state of Virginia still had segregation laws requiring separate toilet facilities for blacks and whites.

The sentence, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

The word racecar and kayak are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left.

There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

You are more likely to be killed by a Champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

You share your birthday with at least nine million other people in the world.

-------------------------------------------------

Ever Wonder?
Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Why is it that to stop Windows 98, you have to click on "Start"?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

When dog food is new and improved tasting, who tests it?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

--------------------------------------------------

It Took Me Over 50 Years To Learn
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

You should not confuse your career with your life.

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

Never lick a steak knife.

The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age eleven.

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

Your friends love you anyway.

Thought for the day: Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got about a foot of snow here over the last week.

Went down to Canadian Tire and bought a Christmas tree, we usually just cut one down but sub arctic trees are ugly.

Kinda like Charlie Brown Christmas trees.

The reason I bought one so early is because they usually sell out prety fast.

It is sitting out on the back deck, we will bring it in on the 15th to decorate it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate artifical trees.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are like $300 bucks [Eek!]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the real pine smell.

Maybe that is why squirels live in trees, for the smell.

You know how they have those car fresheners, shaped like trees. Maybe a chipmunk owns the company that makes those.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture