homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » UPDATE on Baby Ruth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATE on Baby Ruth
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 13:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following on from the earlier post:

Between getting a 2nd GP to listen to our concerns and agree to refer Ruth and my contacting the local Deaf Society and getting a direct referral from them, Ruth visited the paediatrician yesterday.

They peformed a few basic tests, cymbals, hooters, klaxons, tones of various pitches and volumes (basically the sort of thing we've been doing since we became concerned) and got a big zero response. We have now been referred to Audiology (this was actually an agreed formality due to my contact with the Deaf Society). We are promised an appointment within 3 weeks for brainstem response tests etc.

Currently our concerns have been accepted as valid and it would appear that Ruth currently hears little or nothing... However cause and prognosis remain to be determined. Obviously Jackie and I are hoping for a simple diagonosis such as "glue ear" which can be treated easily and effectively, but we are also braced for a "worst case scenario".

Overall, the wheels of the medical establishment are now in motion (which is good) but we are currently little more enlightened than before (which we were warned to expect).

Ruth is a beautiful, lively and apparently "intelligent" baby who it would appear can currently not hear anything. Unlike many who have replied to our posts on various Deaf Forums the possibility that she may be deaf has not "shattered our world".

We remain hopeful but are working very much on the principle that there are many worse things your child can be diagnosed with than deafness. After all, it isn't life threatening (barring the extremely remote such as brain tumours etc...)

We will keep you posted

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 14:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to think of something sensible and encouraging to say, but it just sounded trite so

[thumbsup]

and

[thumbsup]

again.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 14:27      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as for encouragement.

My sister actualy went deaf for about a year and a half and got her hearing back. (She was born with only one ear though so that is a little differant) So everyone just started learning sign language. I have some deaf friends and they can read my lips most of the time and I can write out the odd words for them. Deafness just means some things have to be done differantly.

Heh I make fun of one of my friends who talks a little funny due to the deafness, but only because I know her well enough to do so. She says I don't talk loud enough and we both laugh.

Well anyway it is a little more inconvienient at first, but families get used to it and then it just becomes normal. So don't let it get ya down.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 14:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Calli. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 14:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

They peformed a few basic tests, cymbals, hooters....

[Eek!] Time to go get my ears checked by the sounds of these tests. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I hope that things go ok for your little girl.

We are a week and a half away from the arrival of our 2nd baby boy.....and having a healthy baby has been in the forefront of our minds since we found out she was pregnant.

I think the only thing in the world that makes me cry is seeing a kid that is sick.

I was watching a story on the news the other day about a guy who lost his wife and 7 kids to a fire.....He was carrying the casket of his youngest child. I had tears in my eyes and my 3 year old son who was across the room playing all of a suden asked me why I was crying [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

They peformed a few basic tests, cymbals, hooters....

[Eek!] Time to go get my ears checked by the sounds of these tests. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I hope that things go ok for your little girl.

We are a week and a half away from the arrival of our 2nd baby boy.....and having a healthy baby has been in the forefront of our minds since we found out she was pregnant.

I think the only thing in the world that makes me cry is seeing a kid that is sick.

I was watching a story on the news the other day about a guy who lost his wife and 7 kids to a fire.....He was carrying the casket of his youngest child. I had tears in my eyes and my 3 year old son who was across the room playing all of a suden asked me why I was crying [weep]

Iff'n ya don't mind my asking, how old are you, Cap'n?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me saws leg off, counts the rings

How old did you think I was?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just having children at that age isn't that common, and I figured by your personality you were at least late 30s, early-mid 40s, and when you said you're having a kid, I got curious.

Congrats nonetheless. I hope he's happy and healthy.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unlike many who have replied to our posts on various Deaf Forums the possibility that she may be deaf has not "shattered our world".

Good for you !

Deafness is not the end of the world.

The tram I catch to work also serves a deaf school, I see dozens of happy, healthy teenage kids going to school every morning, they're just a lot quieter than most teenagers.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
It's just having children at that age isn't that common, and I figured by your personality you were at least late 30s, early-mid 40s, and when you said you're having a kid, I got curious.

It helps to have a young wife [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

BTW I recommend having kids at a younger age than me....I'll be in diapers when they go to college.

Mind you, there is a lot of livin' you can do between 20 and 35. I did my fair share of 'stuff'

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 17, 2004 17:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone
for those that haven't bothered to follow all my disparate posts and do the math...

I'm 41 and Jackie is 33 - she started early and has daughters of 14, 13 and 11 (who we now unfortunately have no contact with to speak of) - I started late and fathered Danielle at the venerable age of 37...

It is a personal thing when and why you start a family/produce progeny... My Dad always told me "don't get married before 30" (which I took to mean "don't get a mortgage/have children/take on an undodgeable committment"... That advice served me well..

More people are waiting longer before "spawning" these days. I have only set myself one rule, not to father a child that won't reach majority before I reach pensionable age - in reality that means no kiddies after I reach 45 in my mind...

I know jackie wants another child by me, so I guess we will just about fit it in without panic on either side (5 girls, she wants a boy but admits if she gets a girl again that's it...)

Thanks all for your support everyone

Congrats Capt Vic... All the best

Regarding the crying thing, the older I get the worse I seem to be... Stuff that was just "stuff" when I was 27 becomes heartwrenching, tearjerking horror at 39...

Once you have a child I think it hits you more in the "there but by the grace of god go I" dept... History progs on WWII and WWI can often choke me up big time (old enough to have known some that were there). My friend and original MacMentor suffered (along with his SO - obviously) a number of late miscarriages, stillbirths and neonatal fatalities. Something that when (rarely) mentioned/discussed would usually reduce both of us to tears (and yes he is older than me)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 17:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend now has a son who is 3. She is 23. Her and I as of now aren't terribly serious, but if we did become serious, I'd have no problem taking on whatever role that entailed.

As for having my own kids, I still haven't entirely decided if I ever want to have any.. I guess only time will tell.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 17:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNM

Good for you, enjoy what you've got and see how it goes...

Take my Dad's advice (that gives you 7 years to hink about it...)

seriously though, when the time comes, you will know and it will seem the most natural and odvious thing in the world..

good luck with the new lady in your life BTW.

I am very tired an typing is getting difficult

gonna sign off now fellow geeks (2am local..) time for bed (said Zebedee - Boing)

Those that understand the last bit can start a thread to explain it to the "babbies"

See ya all soon

Thanx

--------------------

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 19:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may, a little advice: if worse comes to worst, make sure you don't overprotect baby Ruth because of her deafness (?). I've met someone who was partially deaf (she could hear somewhat with earing aid), but wouldn't stop complaining about everything she couldn't do - can't study in class, can't find a job, can't do this or that - because she was deaf. And she never realised her attitude was the cause of her problem; she was seeing her handicap as a limit, instead of a challenge.

Still, I hope baby Ruth will turn out fine. And even if not, there have been some interesting progress in the field of hearing aids and hearing restoration lately. Good luck to the whole family!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 06:18      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will keep Ruth and your family in my thoughts as she goes through the rest of her tests. Hugs to you all.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 08:54      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I went to high school with mothers. A fair amount of my graduating class almost didn't graduate because kids were popping out all over the place.

This anecdote reminds me of the opening scene to "The Meaning of Life," the scene with "Every Sperm is Sacred."

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 09:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
quote:

I went to high school with mothers. A fair amount of my graduating class almost didn't graduate because kids were popping out all over the place.

This anecdote reminds me of the opening scene to "The Meaning of Life," the scene with "Every Sperm is Sacred."

My girlfriend was in her first year of college when she got pregnant. Her doctor told her, "there is no chance in hell you could ever get pregnant or have children -- you're broken."

She figured that meant her and her boyfriend at the time didn't have to use any birth control.

Lo and behold, enter Rowan, her (now) 3 year old son.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture