homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Neutrons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neutrons
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 08:07      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm travelling down South next week to ISIS, the worlds brightest pulsed neutron source to do some diffraction (hopefully). I'm actually sample number two, so I only get to work if the other experiment finishes quickly. It's related anyway, so the results will be interesting even if I don't get to run my sample. For those interested, it's high resolution powder diffraction I'm doing, hoping to see preferential heating in a mixture through changes in d-spacing. I only found out yesterday, so it has been a bit of a rush. anyway it is all rather exciting!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 08:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but the food at RAL sucks. Have you thought about going to the ILL? It's very nice there - smashing town + big ol' mountains and stuff. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 08:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that Daresbury? Because I've heard that although the food is much improved recently, it's not what most would describe as good.

Actually, it's all a bit last minute, and I'm only tagging along because they aren't sure whether their experiment will work- it's not like I applied for the beamtime. I was hoping to do something like this earlier in my PhD, but it went in a different direction. I'm not too confident with my sample- it would have been nice to have a bit more time to prepare!

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is insanelty jealous that littlefish has a sample to put on a beam of any kind

Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, people like Xanthine get all confused when we start talking about software and code, etc.

Now, she's in on this conversation, and people like me are looking at what littlefish said going, "huh?!"

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ILL is in Grenoble - a very nice setting indeed. As for Daresbury - yeuchh! Take your own food if you go. [Smile]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 11:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this side of the pond people go to Stanford, Berkeley, Brookhaven, or Chicago. Cornell also has a synchrotron, but the aforementioned locations are better for people who want to borrow some x-rays (not too sure about neutrons). Stanford you have to have an "in" to use their beam, and Brookhaven is kinda far from Boulder, so my boss sends us to either Berkeley or Chicago, preferably Berekely because the Bay Area is so cool. However, whereever you go, good food shouldn't be hard to find. Anywhere there's a university, there's some cheap Chinese or Thai dives.

I have yet to visit any synchrotrons as I have yet to grow a crystal. I'm really good at making precipitate, but not so good at making crystals. [Frown]

I saw a rather amusing picture of a bunch of moping lab rats with their cryostorage tanks hanging around outside the Brookhaven synchrotron during that black-out in August 2003. Losing your beam time to a power outage has to suck.

Edited for a bizarre misspelling of Brookhaven.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 12:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 teachers in H.S. who both used the accelerator at Argonne ... that is what a cyclotron is, right?

How about Caltech - they're pretty open with their cyclotron, right?

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 13:49      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, whereever you go, good food shouldn't be hard to find. Anywhere there's a university, there's some cheap Chinese or Thai dives.
Well it's not that near a university- our centralised facilities are not affiliated to any school. I'm not entirely sure if it is related, but it is situated next to JET (fusion reactor) which was sited due to it's proximity to didcot power station. I'm not actually sure I'll get out anyway. I have a bed on site and because making neutrons is expensive you get beamtime from midnight to midnight, and you are expected to use it all.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 14:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I had 2 teachers in H.S. who both used the accelerator at Argonne ... that is what a cyclotron is, right?

How about Caltech - they're pretty open with their cyclotron, right?

Cyclotrons are something else. They're accelerators, but they're used to make radioisotopes and that's about all I understood from physics.

Synchrotrons are also accelerators, but they're a very different animal. For one thing, they're a whole lot bigger - we're talking about an unerground ring that's a mile or more across. They're the things used to smash particles. Synchrotrons are also used to get electrons running around a ring at very high speeds, which makes the electrons spit out x-rays tangential to the path of ring. The great thing about synchrotron radiation is it's tunable (can we say "MAD phasing" [Big Grin] ) and it's very intense, so instead of taking 20+ hours to collect your data like you would on the home source, copper or molybdenum anode x-rays that are hiding in the basments of most chemistry departments you'll get it all in a couple hours. Strangely enough, most synchrotrons either in service or in planning are being targeted towards crystallographers. I guess the physicists are interested in other things now.

Synchrotrons are not cheap to build. That's why it's kinda nuts that both Berkeley and Stanford (which are very close geographically) each have one of their own. Time on them is also in demand, though I don't know if people sleep on site. I do know that when people from CU go, they go in groups, and they use every minute of the time block they kissed ass to get.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 07:30      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty! I drive daily through the parking lot of what used to be the Spallation Neutron Source, before they moved into the offices shown on that web site.

I refrained from stealing the sign at the end of the drive, though.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 07:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X - it's 'cos the money's in proteins and virii & bio stuff like that. Physics rarely gets a look-in these days. At Daresbury it's all genome research mostly now.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 08:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All your x-rays are belong to us. [Wink]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 13:47      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I didn't get to run my sample, but I may be going back to do it. The food was good, and the size of the facility was impressive. They are going to build a second spallation target to increase the capacity, and diamond, which is their new cyclotron or synchrotron (I don't know which) is finishing to be built in a rather impressive building.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture