homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Podcasting!?! I thought you said "Broadcasting"!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Podcasting!?! I thought you said "Broadcasting"!
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 04, 2004 21:12      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I just searched the forums and it seems that there's not a geek present that has mentioned Podcasting... [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

So you ask me "DigitalBill, what is this podcasting you speak of?"

Well, let me give you the official definition, from ipodder.org:

quote:
Think how a desktop aggregator works. You subscribe to a set of feeds, and then can easily view the new stuff from all of the feeds together, or each feed separately.

Podcasting works the same way, with one exception. Instead of reading the new content on a computer screen, you listen to the new content on an iPod or iPod-like device.

Think of your iPod as having a set of subscriptions that are checked regularly for updates. Today there are a limited number of programs available this way. The format used is RSS 2.0 with enclosures.

In the future, radio shows like All Things Considered and Rush Limbaugh will be available in this manner, and perhaps other syndication formats will support enclosures.

For a quick sample of the latest podcasts, check out http://audio.weblogs.com/.

So, I bring this to you, geeks and geekettes, because I think it's an exciting new medium... a great way to get heard. That, and as a bit of shameless self-promotion. My friend, and fellow Wizard of Technology, Mister Marc, and I started doing a podcast about a month ago. Yes, we're early adopters. We'd love for you to take a listen to the show and let us know what you think. For those of you just now getting in touch with your inner geek, I think you'll find a great mix of information and how-tos. We've even been reviewed by Podcast Reviews!

And, if you're looking for a how-to article on getting started with subscribing to podcasts, check out our guest article on MacMerc.com!

So feed your iPod! Go get some podcasts today!

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 06:35      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I am not the new Screen Savers' biggest fan, they did a segment on podcasting that might also be of interest. Screensaver article
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 07:16      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Looks good, DB!
I'll have to write a script to automatically download it to my linux car mp3 player [Wink]

chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 07:25      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
We've even been reviewed by Podcast Reviews!

quote:
Podcast Review of the Wizards of Technology:
... They've been including interviews, which haven't been as successful from an audio standpoint; one of them was very muffled and difficult to understand, and one (that was coming from a taped source) only had the left channel. That said, I think it's ambitious of them to want to include the interviews, and the interviews are interesting and full of valuable content....

So, say "someone" wanted to be interviewed as a guest on your show, how would you avoid this problem in the future. Do you interview via phone, video conf, pre-recording of the guest's answers?

BTW, the Podcasts you have had thus far have been fun to listen to. Keep up the good work DB!

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 14:42      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chick2geek:
So, say "someone" wanted to be interviewed as a guest on your show, how would you avoid this problem in the future. Do you interview via phone, video conf, pre-recording of the guest's answers?

BTW, the Podcasts you have had thus far have been fun to listen to. Keep up the good work DB!

Thanks for the kind words!

We've just upgraded the podcasting Studio of Technology, so that I can control levels and EQ better... If you listen to Episode 5, you'll hear Marc live from Cupertino, via iChat/AIM, and I think it sounds as good as local...

The other three 'remote' segments had the remote ends using built-in laptop mics (eek!), and iSight mics... none of which are really podcast worthy. I'm recommending that everyone remote at least use a decent headset Mic (we're using Plantronics .Audio 45s), and now, when Marc and I are in the studio together, we're using Shure and Samson headworn mics.

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture