homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » stupid spyware

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stupid spyware
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 15:32      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So like many of us here, I spend much of my spare time helping people fix their computers. Yesterday I spent a couple ours fixing a lady's computer.

Actually it started with setting up a wireless network. After setting it up I noticed that her internet speed is slower than dirt. In fact it is so slow that when I tried to test its speed the speed tester said that there was no connection. That slow.

I then did some spyware searching and found 867 spywares on an old Win 98 machine. All the junk was slowing down the internet connection on the network to a crawl!

Although that is a bad thing, it was rad to see so many spywares on one machine at one time. Thanks Adaware.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 16:28      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now run Spybot on it and see how many more you detect. I run both weekly on my Windows machine, and each catches things the other doesn't.

Bloody nuisance is spyware, and the problem is most people are even more unaware than they are of viruses.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 17:43      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell people to get a Mac. I have my wife running Linux. We have no problems with spyware. It's great. And did anyone see This It's a small step but I don't think we are anyplace near winning.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 19:26      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spyware is a PITA, but it's an easy 10-20 bucks for a student like me. Go fix someone's box for $5-10/hr, and bring a novel for when Spybot and AdAware are crunching away.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 19:26      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree that a Mac is the way to go. I love it when I go fix people's computers and pull out my Powerbook. They get this look on their face like I just pulled out a superweapon and mean business. I then do my best sales pitch on why they should buy a mac.

That is always a fun moment for me.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 22:44      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Spyware is a PITA, but it's an easy 10-20 bucks for a student like me. Go fix someone's box for $5-10/hr, and bring a novel for when Spybot and AdAware are crunching away.

Good plan! [Eek!] Here, you have to have Spybot installed before you are allowed on the network though, so there's that access to some revenue gone [Frown]
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 03:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, I wouldn't charge my fellow students for spyware removal. It's a good opportunity to make friends, hang out, and earn favors (get your mind out of the gutter - this is not a WWCVD thread). I meant more like doing this in residential areas; go up and down the street asking if people would like their computers and internet connections sped up for $10-20 if you don't have "No Solicitors" (US, not UK) laws, or leaving flyers if you do.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 04:55      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nah, I wouldn't charge my fellow students for spyware removal. It's a good opportunity to make friends, hang out, and earn favors (get your mind out of the gutter - this is not a WWCVD thread).

Heh, I was joking, if I started charging then I'm pretty sure I'd end up worse off as people called in their debts. Anyway, the favours are worth much more [Wink]
cigars
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3066

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 16:25      Profile for cigars   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had to run 2 different anti-spyware programs to get MOST of the crap off. I'm sure that there is still some in there. Maybe we can get some legislator to sponsor a law that if they want to plug spyware into your computer, they need to get your permission. Seems only fair.

--------------------
My Humidors

Posts: 4 | From: miami | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 16:41      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I love Firefox. I have no spyware, no popups, no hassles. I do run Adaware once a week just as a precautionary because some sites I have to visit for school don't like Firefox (they see it as Netscape) and I don't want the garbage from them.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 17:20      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I run firefox as well. I do the removal stuff for $6 an hour... (working on campus for the network team) and I use spybot and adaware. Great tools. Also lately we have had IE stop working so I fix that (running a repair tool for IE) and then install firefox and ask if I can set it as their default browser. That helps most people alot. (I install my favorite firefox plugins at the same time.) No one has complained yet.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 17:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That reminds me of how my dad was all set to bow down and kiss my feet when I came home for Christmas last year. He's running XP on a DSL line. My youngest sister, the only child left in the house, likes to download pirated music, so, of course, there's all kinds of filesharing crap on it. No one in the house knows how to protect a computer. So of course they got a virus and a week before I arrived they'd had the thing reformatted.

I arrive and this machine, a new HP Pavillion with more memory and a faster chip, is running slower than my Duron 600. Orders of magnitude slower. My dad is blaming the network card for the time it's taking webpages to load, but I had a feeling there were darker forces at work. Before dinner that night, I downloaded AdAware and removed more than 500 pieces of spyware from the machine. Then I set up ZoneAlarm, as the dragon had instructed me when I'd gotten my DSL line. Then I borrowed another trick from dman's book and downloaded Stinger. Stinger found and deleted another virus. Then I ran AdAware again while eating, just to make sure the computer was good and clean. AdAware picked up a few things it'd missed the first time, but after that the computer was running like a champ. For this display of basic skills I was the family hero for the rest of the winter break.

I'm not sure what state that poor copmputer is in now. I may be doing some updates when I return for Turkey Day. Kinda says something about the computing skillz in my family when a lab rat is in charge. :/

And yes, I raked my sister over the coals for her indiscriminant use of P2P and Kazaa. She tried to weasal out of it, but she's the only kid living in that house and my parents aren't into downloading the latest tracks from Staind and Linkin Park.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 19:22      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:
yeah I run firefox as well. I do the removal stuff for $6 an hour... (working on campus for the network team) and I use spybot and adaware. Great tools. Also lately we have had IE stop working so I fix that (running a repair tool for IE) and then install firefox and ask if I can set it as their default browser. That helps most people alot. (I install my favorite firefox plugins at the same time.) No one has complained yet.

Are you running the latest release of Firefox, I believe it's 1.0PR? It has some great new plugins...my favorite is the droptab...just drag a link to the new tab or new window icon and it opens there!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture