homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The (un)official US election thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The (un)official US election thread
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
/me wonders what unspeakable horrors will happen within the US at the hands of the 'terrorists'.....and what will happen over seas at the hands of Shrub.
[shake head]

Actually, I'm more worried about the "Bush got reelected, therefore all the people who said we shouldn't be in Iraq were wrong" posts that will surely start appearing from the neocons.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:33      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to NPR today and among the information in the exit polls the war in Iraq was a very low concern. Most people are concerned with domestic issues.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:34      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, both Fox and NBC have Bush at 269, which means Kerry can do no better than a tie. And I think New Mexico, which they haven't called yet, will put Bush over the top.

Naturally, the Democratic Party lawyer corps will now start suing everyone in sight.

It's beginning to look like Ohio will be this years' Florida.

No, I'm not gloating; this has been a tough campaign, and the post-election recriminations may make it tougher yet. We shall see.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:35      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Actually, I'm more worried about the "Bush got reelected, therefore all the people who said we shouldn't be in Iraq were wrong" posts that will surely start appearing from the neocons.

I know.....well, unfortunatly for us left wingers we will hold the "I told you so card" when Sarin gas is released in some US school or shopping mall..... [Frown]

I really didn't want to see see this day come, although I knew it would in the back of my mind. I can't imagine how fucked up this world will be after 8 years of Bush in office(look at it after 4 years!)....I'm pretty goddamn pissed off right now and I'd strangle that fucking hairless chimp with my bare hands if given the chance [Mad]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Well, both Fox and NBC have Bush at 269, which means Kerry can do no better than a tie. And I think New Mexico, which they haven't called yet, will put Bush over the top.

Naturally, the Democratic Party lawyer corps will now start suing everyone in sight.

It's beginning to look like Ohio will be this years' Florida.

No, I'm not gloating; this has been a tough campaign, and the post-election recriminations may make it tougher yet. We shall see.

And erb you are gloating so fuck off, and what makes it so sad is that you are too fat and stupid to even get drafted to serve in the war that you so strongly support. That is pathetic.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic, Do a little reasearch on every U.S. presedent that was elected in a year that ends with a "0" (Bush 2000) it might make you feel better [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:46      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine I'll give a hint

Just to name a few and if tradition has it ......

Abe Licoln 1860

JFK 1960

Regan 1980

What do they all have in commen? (there are more)

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 22:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ya know....I actually had more faith in the American people.....

I didn't. [Mad] I wish I could leave this moronic country and never see another redneck in my life.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:05      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx, No one is making you stay. I hear Cuba is nice this time of year

--------------------

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:07      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately for your prediction the last one wasn't that successful.

From results the BBC are showing it is looking like it is going to come down Ohio. Last time Bush this time "too close to call".

I know that this result will not directly impact on my life but I am really nervous about Bush getting a second term.

We can but wait and see.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:10      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Fine I'll give a hint

Abe Licoln 1860

JFK 1960

Regan 1980

dunno, you tell me

all i know is the redskins prediction is out now [crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

I know.....well, unfortunatly for us left wingers we will hold the "I told you so card" when Sarin gas is released in some US school or shopping mall..... [Frown]
Sadly, no.
It'll be the neocons who will play the "we didn't kill enough towel-heads the first time - No More Mister Nice Guy" card.
And so it continues ....

/me wonders if the shrub will get to break bin Ladens record as the person responsible for the most deaths of Americans. He's well on the way already.

btw - I haven't heard any fat ladies singing yet ....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Fuck you. Economics is making me stay. If I had the money I'd be gone in a heartbeat. [devil wand]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 23:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Fine I'll give a hint

Abe Licoln 1860

JFK 1960

Regan 1980

Um, they can't spell?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 01:13      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, pal, I hope you enjoy the next four years - that'll be four unhindered (because of no re-election worries) years of shitting on the economy, of lining the pockets of the corporate hogs at the expense of the workforce, four more years of strip-mining the environment, four more years of bedding-down the US's pariah status, four more years of whittling away at healthcare, four more years of 'Homeland Security' so that every ounce of state-harboured information about every citizen can be lucratively offloaded to the highest commercial bidder, four more years of utter complacence with regard to the the Palestinian problem, four more years of destabilizing the Middle East (and the US's own security) by threatening Syria and Iran with military action, four more years of daily car-bombs in Iraq, and four more years to entrench the US as the irrational fundamentalist nation of our time.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 03:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Well, pal, I hope you enjoy the next four years - that'll be four unhindered (because of no re-election worries) years of ... bedding-down the US's pariah status, ... four more years of destabilizing the Middle East (and the US's own security) by threatening Syria and Iran with military action, four more years of daily car-bombs in Iraq, and four more years to entrench the US as the irrational fundamentalist nation of our time.
 -
[thumbsdown] [shake head] [cry baby] [weep]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 03:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I noticed - the exit polls. In Florida, et al, the exit polls put Kerry ahead by a few points - it's as if Republicans are pathologically reluctant for others to know of their choice... almost as if they're ashamed of what they've just done.

Mark my words - exit polls always slant to the left as the right wing don't like others to know that they only care about themselves.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
One thing I noticed - the exit polls. In Florida, et al, the exit polls put Kerry ahead by a few points - it's as if Republicans are pathologically reluctant for others to know of their choice... almost as if they're ashamed of what they've just done.

Mark my words - exit polls always slant to the left as the right wing don't like others to know that they only care about themselves.

I noticed that when I was working in London.
A bunch of bankers (if you'll excuse the rhyming slang), mostly private-school educated, all earning 3 or 4 times the average wage, and not a tory among them, if you believe the talk around the tea machine.

I think I met about half a dozen tories in my 2 years in London, even the Lloyds 'Name' I had lunch with professed a deep loathing for the tories.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To look on the bright side.

With GWB reelected, over the next 4 years he will have to face the consequences of his actions, and clear up his own mess. I also hope that as more people know about them, the Neocons and the religious right will be shown up for the insidious force that they are and, more importantly, as a busted flush. This might have the unfortunate side effect of consigning the Republican party to the political wilderness for many years thereafter, as has happened to our Conservative Party here, who (just like the Republicans now) seemed almost invincible at the beginning of the 90's.

If Kerry was elected, the combination of right wing black propaganda, the domestic economic mess, and the even bigger foreign policy disaster, would make getting more than one term pretty difficult, and then we would have to deal with this evil ideology all over again.

So maybe this is not such a bad election to lose, though nobody can look forward to the next 4 years with any optimism.

PS MacD I suggest that you are careful about what you post in the current climate of hysteria.

And last of all congratulations ASM, it seems you speak for America.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

That's all I can say... [shake head] [cry baby]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good morning from the left coast. It is 4:25 in the a.m. and I am digging through the news channels.

Let's see...

Fox
Bush 269
Kerry 242

CNN
Bush 254
Kerry 252

and

MSNBC

Bush 269
Kerry 238

CSPAN is avoiding showing the presidential electoral college. Can't says I blame either.

What does this election say about America? Are we that hugely divided? Are we so stupid that we voted for... (feel free to add your candidate of choice) Or is it that America has not been given a decent candidate on either side. I was speaking to my Pop last night. He has been a member of the GOP since the mid 60's. Even he said he didn't like Bush, but Kerry inspired nothing in him.

Look at polls and electoral college. Pitifully close. And this has been one of the largest voter turn outs in our recent history.

The sad truth is that Bush has fsckd up and he is a fu**. But the challenger is a twit that cannot even rally his own party. [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [blush]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autumn
Newbie Larva
Member # 3056

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:41      Profile for Autumn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a sad day. I honestly had alot more faith in the voting public.
Why is it the rest of the world can see Bush for what he is except the people who need to see it the most?

I honestly do not see him finishing another four years term. I think he will be impeached long before that. Look at the mess he has made ht elast four years.

Posts: 7 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never have faith in people. They do nothing but disappoint.

With the new crackdown on dissenting voices, I doubt that Bush will be impeached. I do feel sorry for the next(hopefully we don't end up in a regime) president, considering what they will have to clean up

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 05:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
 -

That's all I can say... [shake head] [cry baby]

Nah-ah! Canadia is a terrorist state - far too many cheese-eaters for comfort! I wonder how many nukes are aimed at Montreal. [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture