homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 'Switcher' - election 04 ads (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'Switcher' - election 04 ads
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 04:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Rhonwynn,

I am going to state this once and step away from the thread.

George Bush, to me, is not a christian. He is angry, vengeful, prideful, greedy, and has been known to love a bit of cocaine gluttony.

So I believe he has enough of the deadly sins to make his claims of "gettin' God" questionable at best.

I know that the abortion bit hits a nerve for most stateside fundamentalists. Unfortunately this should be the last thing we are concerned about. I watched Bill Maher last week. Jesse Jackson, I know he's no angel either, made a good point.

This is from memory...
" I asked my congregation..'Who here has had a member of their family or themselves live through cancer? Everyone raised their hands. Who here or has a family member that has lost their job in the last 4 yrs. A lot raised their hands. Now, who here has or has a family member marriy their gay lover? And everyone stared at him.'

Why should an issue that affects so few people become such a huge rally point? And didn't Bush himself state recently that he now thinks if Americans want to drop the whole gay thing it is O.K. now?

We are losing jobs to outsourcing, losing lives to war, and losing our social standing due political arrogance. If the president only affected a small piece of the world I could see your point. Unfortunately we are not an isolationist country. We have a huge influence in the world around us and what we do hurts or helps the rest of it. So perhaps Kerry can be called a baby killer ( wouldn't be a new term for his 'Nam ears) but are your concerns going to save our country from the problems it faces from the outside?

And here is the Libertarian in me. I too despise abortion. I would never advocate it. But I don't know where in the bible that it says we are resposible for controlling others decisions. The are definitely passages that speak of guiding not forcing. If one of the religious right can show me a plaque or paper that states that they know better than anyone else in all matters, signed by God, I will step off. Until then, we need to allow a freedom of choice, no matter how distasteful. It is what the original plan was.

Edit:

As far as religion in the schools. I know there has been a huge run about the use of God in our education system. I think God and all religion should be out of school. There are too many to address. And no longer is America a truly christian nation. We were originally founded on the principles of protestant religion. But the christians are no longer the dominant religious force. They are one of many. To force their beliefs on everyone is the height of arrogance.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 29, 2004 11:00      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Recently, the courts have been acting without regard to the American people. In recent referendums, over 75% of the American people have stated their support of the Federal Marriage Amendment, but the Supreme Court Justices took it into their hands to "rule that homosexuals have the constitutional right to practice sodomy," clearly denying the will of the People.

1) Have you heard the phrase "tyranny of the majority"? There are limitations to what a democracy may decide. Three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner are not allowed to vote for the sheep's death. Likewise, a religious group -- even if it's the majority of the population -- does not have the right to infringe on the rights of a minority group just because they think that their holy book tells them to.

2) I have never seen any poll in which 75% of the people voted to ban gay marriages. Do you remember about a year ago when the conservatives tried to generate phony online poll results that would favor banning gay marriage? They put up their little web polls and told all their conservative friends to vote in it. The word leaked out to the sexually liberated communities, and then we voted in your polls. And we outnumbered you by a huge margin. Every time.

Now, that doesn't prove much in terms of the broader population. It only proves that among Internet activists, gay marriage is supported by a large margin. The American people in general don't tend to align very well with Internet activists (much to my personal chagrin).

3) One of the issues on the Ohio ballot this Tuesday is a state constitutional amendment "protecting" (your word, not mine) the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. We shall see what happens in a few days. I shall be voting "no", of course.

4) You brought up the word "sodomy". How are you defining this term? Do you mean "anal sex"? If so, then married heterosexual couples do this all the time. Do you mean "any sexual contact between members of the same sex"? If so, please say that.

5) I don't remember seeing the part of the constitution where Congress is granted the power to tell people how, or with whom, they may have sex. Can you tell me which section it's in? If you can't, then the 9th and 10th amendments apply:

quote:
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 12:38      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to reiterate: majority rule, minority rights. That's why we have checks and balances.

And, I'm not postitive, but I believe that "sodomy" originally meant any sexual act considered "immoral" (or whatever), not just buggery.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 13:20      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originaly posted by: magefile
quote:
And, I'm not postitive, but I believe that "sodomy" originally meant any sexual act considered "immoral" (or whatever), not just buggery.
But thats the best kind.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 29, 2004 14:32      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting treatise - The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear Words also discusses the differences between American and British meanings of said swear words.

It was an entertaining and educational read.

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture