homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Jon Stewart rules!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jon Stewart rules!
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 14 posted October 19, 2004 16:35      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he is one of this generations great comics.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 19, 2004 16:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget a link to his awesome "Crossfire" appearence last weekend!
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831&htv=12

and his after-Crossfire talk....
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2653047

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 17:06      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I think he is one of this generations great comics.

Hrm... Classfactory does not support selected class. I hate media player.

I did read the transcript to the crossfire show. [thumbsup]

edit: snaggy's link has the crossfire clip.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 18:19      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love the bill o reilly interview. and jon stewart definitely is the man
Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 03:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. He's definitely in my list of top 10 comics . He tells it like it is, and he is a REALLY smart guy.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 06:26      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends suggested that a point Tucker Carlson made was that Jon Stewart has a responsibility to the people. I agree that he does have a responsibility, but i think that he fulfills it by presenting politics is a way that allows young people to become interested. Also, a few surveys conducted after some O'Reilly comments suggest that Daily Show viewers are more informed than viewers of other shows.

I also think that Carlson doesn't understand what Stewart was trying to say. Stewart's appearance on the show clearly illustrates just how absurd those shows are.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 06:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An important point to remember is that Jon Stewart's show's purpose it to make you LAUGH. It's a FAKE NEWS show. They make shit up. They skew facts. They lie. They make fun of people. That's the damned point.

Sure, people generally become more informed by his show, but that's not the show's premise.

Saying he has any sort of responsbility, I think, is just absurd. All he's there to do is entertain -- and he does a damned good job of it.

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 20, 2004 06:56      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a really cool guy. I'd do 'im.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 08:04      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
An important point to remember is that Jon Stewart's show's purpose it to make you LAUGH. It's a FAKE NEWS show. They make shit up. They skew facts. They lie. They make fun of people. That's the damned point.

Sure, people generally become more informed by his show, but that's not the show's premise.

Saying he has any sort of responsbility, I think, is just absurd. All he's there to do is entertain -- and he does a damned good job of it.

While I agree that he is fake news, it is still based on mostly current real events and by watching the show, viewers are made aware of the events. And when they skew the facts, they skew it in the most obvious ways. Daily Show viewers are more likely to have attended college than their Hardball counterparts. Thus, the Daily Show assumes that when you get the joke, you'll get a bit of the facts.

While the Daily Show may not have the same responsibilities as shows as Hardball or Crossfire, I'll have to invoke the theme of Spiderman, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Also, they make up very little. I watched a press conference or whatever on book tv with Stewart and an audience member ask, "Where do you find these people?" She was referring to the invesitgative journalism type bits that they do. Stewart replied something like, "They're everywhere. There are probably two or three in this room right now; and they want to be on TV."

--------------------

klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 08:23      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually, his responsibility IS to entertain. He does this with intelligent, sometimes outrageous, humor.

His 'Crossfire' appearance was fabulous. He really tore those guys a new one. I thought Tucker's head would explode a couple of times.

BTW - MTB, I have to agree. He's very doable.

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 08:46      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An important point to remember is that Jon Stewart's show's purpose it to make you LAUGH. It's a FAKE NEWS show. They make shit up. They skew facts. They lie.

.....and that is different from CNN or Fox news how?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 19:52      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW - MTB, I have to agree. He's very doable.
Dammit, I knew I was in the wrong career. And I could've made it in comedy, too!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 04:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
An important point to remember is that Jon Stewart's show's purpose it to make you LAUGH. It's a FAKE NEWS show. They make shit up. They skew facts. They lie.

The difference is that he calls his TV show a "fake news show". CNN and Fox will have you believe the shit they're spewing at you is legitimate.
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 13:14      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

The difference is that he calls his TV show a "fake news show". CNN and Fox will have you believe the shit they're spewing at you is legitimate.
CNN and Fox News anchors won't call you a dick on your own show, either.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture