homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 10, 2004 13:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'tis Thanksgiving here in the Great White North, (and Great Green Pacific Coast), so I just wanted to give a little thanks to all you folks who make this place such a great place.

From the lurkers to the SuperBlabbermouths, (and especially the Superfans [thumbsup] ), you all are really such a fine gaggle of geeks, and Nitrozac and I are so very grateful and so proud.

[Happytears]

Now, .... let loose the dogs of pumpkin pie war! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 14:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, N+S! May you continue to be valiantly protected by the fierce Simon, and your presence graced pleasantly by Nitrokitty!

Today, I am thankful for foolish computer users, and crapware, which made me a few clams richer for all of 45 minutes work.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9334 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 14:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMMMMMMMMM... Turkey, *drool* Pumpkin pie *drool drool*!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1140 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 15:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished my turkey. I can barely move. unnnhhh.. so full. :S
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 10, 2004 18:12      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Happy Canucksgiving!! ( I made that up myself)

[crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 18:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Thanksgiving, but no Turkey Soda this year, eh? Considering you still have some from last year. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5849 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 18:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Happy Thanksgiving, but no Turkey Soda this year, eh? Considering you still have some from last year. [Big Grin]

That stuff was foul. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 20:01      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this "Thanksgiving" business? Some obscure American/Canadian custom? [Wink]

I'll have some of the pumpkin pie, anyway...

Edit: Australia had a public holiday last Monday (not today), and I've just realised that I didn't even pay attention to what the public holiday was for. What a patriotic bunch we are (think it might have been the Queen's birthday, or something)

Meta-Edit: Turns out it was Labour Day (except for one state, in which it was the Queen's birthday). Weird, full list here

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 20:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Edit: Australia had a public holiday last Monday (not today), and I've just realised that I didn't even pay attention to what the public holiday was for. )

Australia had nothing of the kind.

New South Wales had a Labour Day holiday (which we in Victoria celebrate in March - to commemorate us being the first in the world to adopt an 8 hour work day - only we usually call it 'Moomba' - an aboriginal term that means 'lets get together and have fun'. The aboriginals kindly donated the word as they have no further use for it themselves. Confused enough yet?)

/me wanders off muttering - typical bloody Sydney-centric northerner.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 20:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Edit: Australia had a public holiday last Monday (not today), and I've just realised that I didn't even pay attention to what the public holiday was for. )

Australia had nothing of the kind.

New South Wales had a Labour Day holiday (which we in Victoria celebrate in March - to commemorate us being the first in the world to adopt an 8 hour work day - only we usually call it 'Moomba' - an aboriginal term that means 'lets get together and have fun'. The aboriginals kindly donated the word as they have no further use for it themselves. Confused enough yet?)

/me wanders off muttering - typical bloody Sydney-centric northerner.....

Actually, Labour Day was celebrated in two states and one territory, according to that web page. As to being Sydney-centric, guilty as charged [Razz]

Incidentally, re aboriginal names, what about all the other aboriginal words we use (mainly place names), did we steal them (well, we took everything else from them [Frown] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 20:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Incidentally, re aboriginal names, what about all the other aboriginal words we use (mainly place names), did we steal them (well, we took everything else from them [Frown] )

No no no no no !

We didn't steal them, there were these words just floating about, completely unowned, (the doctrine of palabra-nullius) until the white fellah came along and wrote them down, then they became our words.

Besides, that was all a long time ago, and had nothing to do with me, so there's no need to adopt a 'black-armband' view of linguistic history......

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 10, 2004 20:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx.. I guess I'm saving the turkey soda for Christmas! [Razz]

<queezy> [blush] </queezy>

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture