homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Johnny Ramone (R.I.P.)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Johnny Ramone (R.I.P.)
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 16, 2004 04:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny Ramone of the Ramones has died at age 55.

My first contact with punk rock was through the Ramones. The year was 1978. I found a copy of their first album on 8-track in the bargain bin. One look at the titles and I knew I was going to like it. Blitzkrieg Bop, Beat On The Brat and the rest. It wasn't until about ten years later that I got to see them play live.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 05:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny I used to hate the Ramones. All I ever heard was "Pet Cemetary." When I got a bit older I met a guy that turned me on to things like "I Won't Let It Happen" and it changed my perspective on the band.

After that I began to really listen to them. Unfortunately I never had a chance to see them live. But it is a dark day for punk. Johnny will be missed here.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 05:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being one of the founding fathers of punk, that sucks. And he wasn't very old, either.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 09:52      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the local news today one of the Ramones big hits was "London Calling" [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 11:02      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramones were the suckiest band ever. They were rich kids who jumped on the "punk" bandwagon but hey dumbass punk was about poor kids who were angry...
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 11:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice of you to come out from under your bridge to post about somebody dying, "Genius." You know as much about punk as you do about Macs. [Razz]
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 11:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for being distasteful, but I have to ask.

Before he passed away, to ease the pain, was there any chance he was sedated?

And were his 4 last words by chance, "eh! oh! Let's go!"

*cough*

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 12:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Affected by such a heartless post

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 15:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Nice of you to come out from under your bridge to post about somebody dying, "Genius." You know as much about punk as you do about Macs. [Razz]

He probably thinks Avril Lavigne is the real deal in punk [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 17:41      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSK: its a Complicated issue [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 17:48      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
CSK: its a Complicated issue [Wink]

Well so much for my happy ending.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 17:51      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought it would be a sure thing because of that nice Sk8r Boi

edit: i cant believe i wasted my 3000th post on that [tired]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 17:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, that is weak.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 06:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure he's thinking Why should I care?
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 17, 2004 12:06      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also known as "a lot".

(You think I don't know what I'm talking about???)

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 12:37      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacGenius:
quote:

Also known as "a lot".

You could say that, but I'd much rather you jump of the bridge you crawled out from underneath.

If the Ramones just jumped on the bandwagon, then who was driving it? If you even try to answer that I'm going to claw your eyeballs out.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 12:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacGenius:
Also known as "a lot".

I know you don't know what you're talking about. You've proven again and again that you're an ignorant, arrogant asshole. Why don't you just go troll somewhere else? This was supposed to be about Johnny Ramone's dying. If you didn't like the band then STFU. Show some respect.
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 16:23      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ramones were there when no one else, they are like elvis, they had long hair and leather jackets. I really liked the album "ramones mania" it has all the classics on it

And now one of em is dead! Probably saw a "simple plan" music video and said 'punk is dead'

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 17:15      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac Genius, just to clarify things before you get overheated, the punk movement took off here in the UK with the Sex Pistols. As I remember they admitted the bands that inspired them were the New York Dolls, and the Ramones. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not, then that does make the Ramones one of the leaders of that particular musical revolution, as opposed to a follower.

Did anyone spot in the article that one of the people around Johnny Ramone's death bed was Talia Shire. What will Sonny say?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 20:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not totally. Even the Ramones, Blondie, New York Dolls and Talking Heads all stated, at one time or another, that their major influence were the Velvet Underground. Most of what is considered the first wave of punk all considered them the originator of the movement. Can we say, leather whip dancers?

Though the Ramones were one of the first to play what we consider modern punk. And the only ones to survive without morphing into 80's New Wave.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2004 17:51      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Though the Ramones were one of the first to play what we consider modern punk. And the only ones to survive without morphing into 80's New Wave.

Wasn't that more of a post-punk thing? Joy Division/New Order, the Cure and the like? Though I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest scholar of punk music.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2004 18:20      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His death is a sad thing, I'm not a huge punk fan. But I can understand what the Ramones did for the punk/rock/indie scene in general with the influence they had on other bands.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2004 20:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aves Corax:
Wasn't that more of a post-punk thing? Joy Division/New Order, the Cure and the like? Though I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest scholar of punk music.

Yes and no. When the term punk first showed up it encompassed a few different genres. But the general theme was a complete lack of 70's over polish. It was gritty and lacked the theatrics of rock and disco. But if you ever get the chance to listen to old CbGb recordings of the punks that became famous the Ramones are the only ones that truly kept that early vibe. Talking heads were considered a punk band when they started and we all know what they are famous for. And Blondie was a part of that scene too.

New Order and The Cure are generally considered more of the "raincoat" or "goth" fathers. [Big Grin] Not so much post punk.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2004 21:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Ramones would cite the Velvets as one of their influences. Apples and oranges. The Stooges maybe. The Ramones were more influenced by '60's pop, British Invasion and garage bands. The Ramones sound was like nothing else that came before it, though. The term "punk" came from the John Hagstrom magazine of the same name. Its first issue had Joey Ramone in it. Hagstrom also did cover art on the Ramones albums.
Joy Division, The Cure and the rest can all be fitted under the loose label of "post-punk" and because of their subject matter, they can also be termed "Goth." But I think Goth as a movement really started with bands like Bauhaus.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture