homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Dumped AOL!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dumped AOL!!
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 06:44      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of this last thursday i am not using AOL any more [Smile]

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 06:56      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you misspelled AOHell.

Congrats! What are you on now, DSL or cable of some sort?

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 08:01      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they should happen to continue billing you, not that AOL would ever do anything like that... [Roll Eyes] But just in case... you can call 1-703-265-0000 and as to speak to one of the Executive Liaisons. This will forward you to a queue of approximately 6 people (all in Jacksonville) who take calls for the executives of AOL/Compuserve. Explain the situation to them and then ask for credit [Smile]

~Richard.

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 09:00      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they disconnect you cleanly there and then, or did you have to tell your credit card company to stop paying them (as I did)?
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 10:47      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We still ahev AOL but I am not using it we are transioning off of AOL and so.

--------------------
~Blade

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 12:53      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stuck with AO(hell) at home as my dad won't pay for a real ISP. I prefer using the crappy connection in uni halls compared to 1MB AOL.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted September 12, 2004 13:40      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just fired earthlink myself, now I'm using cable and am happy to be at high speed again. That 56k was just hell and I waited for almost 2 years for high speed to reach this cul de sac.
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 12:44      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya well AOL never even reached 56 k the most it was like 32 or something.

--------------------
~Blade

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 13:09      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got back onto ADSL after 4 months of dialup!

We moved house to one that BT decided was outside their 6km ADSL limit (it wasn't, but they couldn't be persuaded), and as soon as they dropped the limit we put in an order for ADSL which got connected today. Thank you Pipex! (and thanks to MacUnlimited.net who provided a survivable 56k connection in the meantime and didn't worry about the usual 150 hours a month maximum connection time).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 13:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
Finally got back onto ADSL after 4 months of dialup!

We moved house to one that BT decided was outside their 6km ADSL limit (it wasn't, but they couldn't be persuaded), and as soon as they dropped the limit we put in an order for ADSL which got connected today. Thank you Pipex! (and thanks to MacUnlimited.net who provided a survivable 56k connection in the meantime and didn't worry about the usual 150 hours a month maximum connection time).

Out of curiosity, since you're in Newcastle - do you have why-aye-fi? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 7 posted September 14, 2004 13:41      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Cable now and love it, We are moving to Chaska MN in a couple of months and the whole town is one big hot spot and I do go there and connect but we still planing on paying for the service it's only $16 and it's 1Mb/sec. [Smile]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 17:57      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad at how welll my mac is running now with out AOL Me so happy.

--------------------
~Blade

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 18:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I have Cable now and love it, We are moving to Chaska MN in a couple of months and the whole town is one big hot spot and I do go there and connect but we still planing on paying for the service it's only $16 and it's 1Mb/sec. [Smile]

Now, how in the world are you getting broadband for $16 a month? Is it some sort of short-term special rate? I'm getting 3Mb/s for $26.99 per month from Charter Comm, but it'll jump to $39.99 per month starting this coming January.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture