homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Inside iMac G5 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Inside iMac G5
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 01, 2004 11:47      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HoT PIX of the iMac G5

http://www.macbidouille.com/news/photonews12/iMac_v3_interieur_big.jpg

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Eek!] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 12:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sweet! reminds me of a TV dinner. [Smile]

anyone else thing that RAM seems a little close to the G5 furnace? [Eek!]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 12:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an air intake just above the RAM slots, but with the processor, video and power supply that baby is gonna run HOT!

'member when the Rev A iMacs came out and they stunk to high heaven (burning plastic/hot electronics) for the first few hundred hours

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 13:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least with this iMac you can get to both RAM slots yourself. [Mad]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 14:05      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks interesting... I see two blowers near the hard drive, but what's cooling the processor?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 14:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Looks interesting... I see two blowers near the hard drive, but what's cooling the processor?

<black-beret-and-goatee>
It's a Mac, they're naturally cool.
</black-beret-and-goatee>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 15:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mm, nothing. The restricted cases size acts as a cooling duct( as stupid as that sounds).....cool air comes in the bottom via the 2 ports on either side (by the RAM slots and USB/Firewire banks) There is a fan behind the Power Suppy sucking more cool air from the outside. The two blowers presumably then vent the hot out out through the top of the unit.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 17:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

<black-beret-and-goatee>
It's a Mac, they're naturally cool.
</black-beret-and-goatee>

Somehow I think I've inadvertantly created another GC meme [Big Grin]

Edit: Well, the latest JOT has a beret wearing Mac using female (no goatee though). Coincidence? Hmmm.... *cue Twilight Zone theme*

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 07:28      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From todays UK Guardian;

Apple's computers are an attempt to create a little piece of perfection in an imperfect world. It can never win, of course, and gradgrind PCs will continue to dominate the market, but as the latest iMac shows, Apple simply can't help but keep trying to lead us into electronic temptation.

Full article

Edit: with reference to the earlier post 'Utterly repulsive...' the heading of this article includes 'praises Apple' so don't expect too much objectivity [Smile]

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 02, 2004 08:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of utterly disgusting... or should I say utterly clueless, here is John Dvorak's latest troll. [crazy]

TFD said.... Well, the latest JOT has a beret wearing Mac using female (no goatee though). Coincidence? Hmmm.... *cue Twilight Zone theme*

BY THE GOATEE OF THE FRENCH BABE!

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 09:37      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I can see everything that should be inside a computer, apart from the graphics card. Anyone know if it is replaceable or is it on the motherboard?

If you could whip it out and stick in something beefier in a few years, then that is one nice machine.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 10:56      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
speaking of utterly disgusting... or should I say utterly clueless, here is John Dvorak's latest troll. [crazy]

Verily he doth protest too much. I think he's probably a secret Mac fetishist but hasn't got the
stones to admit it.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 11:22      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I had to seriously work hard to keep my lunch down as I read that... [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 11:39      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Folks to answer the question on if the GPU is replaceable I just went through the Imac G5 Service training.

<rant> The training material covers all the basic of the machine including but not limited to MLB replacement. The MLB (Main Logic Board) is refered to as the Midplane board... and from what I can tell ther is no socketed GPU nor is there simply a PCI card.... It appears that it is SOLDERED to the Miplane Board...

Remember that this is a GP machine and not necessarily aimed a targeting the Gaming market... Yes Doom 3 will run on it, but not at very attractive FRs. By the Tim Doom 3 is released for the Mac it will verly likely be optimised for iMac G5. This has been done before and likely to happen. The iMac was designed to be LOW COST so anyone who wants to whine about a whimpy GPU should buy a G5 Tower.

IMHO I think this a very good choice considering the target market is EDUCATION, SOHO, and BASIC END USERS. This is a starter machine and will suffice for most users.

BTW I use an iBook G3 800 as a personal service machine and a G3 Beige desktop as an instore service machine. so if I can do my job and more on an iBook i'd say thats pretty good.

I will most likely remain a iBook/PowerBook user untill something in my life radically changes. </rant>

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 11:44      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There is no John Dvorak. The name is just an alias for 100 monkeys typing. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 11:52      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[/IMG]

Remember that John Dvorak used to be a MacUser Columnist and is a traitor.... He should be charged with treason and should be shot!!! [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 12:24      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
quote:
[/IMG]

Remember that John Dvorak used to be a MacUser Columnist and is a traitor.... He should be charged with treason and should be shot!!! [evil]
Apple must have stopped sending him free stuff at some point so he became a big baby about it [cry baby] That or he was fired from MacUser and lost all his free goodies that way.

If I remember correctly from his days on CNET TV he hated just about every product he reviewed, not just Apple stuff. he is one of those people you just can't please and is determined to hate everything. [shake head]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 13:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Dvorak is on one level a complete troll, but he is also very bright, and hidden underneath his provocative and inflammatory prose, there is (most annoyingly) some telling points.

I think the primary point of the article is correct, that Apple is a computer company, and won't be able to make itself into another Sony. It has a too individualistic corporate culture to transform itself into a mass market electronics company like Sony. It shouldn't let the hoopla surrounding the iPod distract it from this primary focus. I hope that Apple created a separate iPod division with this in mind, so that those working in the core business do not get distracted by the music side, but one can't help fearing that the tail is starting to wag the dog.

The other point hidden in his article is that the reason there seem to be so many nitpicking criticisms of the new iMac, which you might imagine being welcomed with garlands and huzzahs, as it is a much faster machine at a better price than its predecessor and which looks pretty damn cool too, is because that is all it is. We all hope and expect a major revision of an Apple model will introduce and showcase some great new technology, such as USB, WiFi, or Firewire, to name but three and this time there is none. Maybe that is why the previous iMac was also in the end slightly underwhelming, but perhaps it is also just a sign of a maturing market and the commoditisation of the PC. At least in software Apple does still seem to be able to make unexpected innovations, though as OSX matures the rate of change here will slow too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 14:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Remember that this is a GP machine and not necessarily aimed a targeting the Gaming market... Yes Doom 3 will run on it, but not at very attractive FRs. By the Tim Doom 3 is released for the Mac it will verly likely be optimised for iMac G5. This has been done before and likely to happen. The iMac was designed to be LOW COST so anyone who wants to whine about a whimpy GPU should buy a G5 Tower.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that I could replace my ageing cube maybe with the imac. The only reason really would be for doom3, as everything sensible works fine on the old beast. Of course I got the cube for quakeIII, and I can't afford a G5 tower. I'm really stretching for the imac. Any word on when the emac gets the G5? [Wink]
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 15:06      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it looks like a tablet PC on a stick...

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 15:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TFD said.... Well, the latest JOT has a beret wearing Mac using female (no goatee though). Coincidence? Hmmm.... *cue Twilight Zone theme*

What?

Does this mean ... that I too am csk ?

But seriously, all Mac evangelism aside, watzizname did make one good point
quote:

With all these wires running off the back of this top-heavy machine, there's a good possibility that one will get tripped over. I suspect the iMac will go flying. This lash-up just does not look stable.

I kind of worry about that myself, with a corded keyboard, the new iMac does look pretty vulnerable to getting pulled off the desk. Even if that doesn't happen, if you have 3 or 4 things plugged in, keeping the screen tilted at the right angle could be a problem.

I'll be stopping in at a mac shop tonight to see the real thing, hopefully I'll see something to reassure me on this point.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 18:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I just watched some of the QT stuff on Apple's site, including as much of the Apple Expo Paris that I could stand to watch (didn't need all the prattling), and the iMac introduction video. Apple is really turning themselves into the 'iPod company.' The new iMac is not from the Apple Computer company, it is from the "Makers of the iPod." That's right, in addition to making iPods, they also make computers and networking gear that works well with them. It's somewhat realistic, though - in reality, Apple doesn't want 100% market share of computers, it would probably detract from who they are. They couldn't screw people like me over if they had to produce products for everyone and their brother, and really respond to shareholders. Being the 'underdog' that they like to appear as in the computing market, they are afforded the ability to release brand new stuff on their insane timetable, shafting people on the way as they will (and the press eating it up with a spoon). Furthermore, they couldn't overcharge their customers nearly as much as they do.

*sigh*

And yet, I still think of getting an iBook - it's just such a great computer...Apple pisses me off a decent amount, though :-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 18:37      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

With all these wires running off the back of this top-heavy machine, there's a good possibility that one will get tripped over. I suspect the iMac will go flying. This lash-up just does not look stable.

I kind of worry about that myself, with a corded keyboard, the new iMac does look pretty vulnerable to getting pulled off the desk. Even if that doesn't happen, if you have 3 or 4 things plugged in, keeping the screen tilted at the right angle could be a problem.

I'll be stopping in at a mac shop tonight to see the real thing, hopefully I'll see something to reassure me on this point.

Apple is selling a VESA mount adapter kit to support any VESA mounts (arm not included). This will give the option for a more secure mount.
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 01:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To respond to people saying that the screen can't take the cable weight, this is something I read on /. that wasn't obvius, but is once someone says it. There is a hole in the mounting arm that you route your cables through. This takes most of the strain off the back of the machine.
Mackey
Newbie Larva
Member # 2882

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 19:43      Profile for Mackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really hoping for a portable (the size that would fit in-the-pocket) kind of mac this time around.

Oh well I can always use my iPod and do my very unique thing with it. And what is that you say?

Has anyone ever tried to put one of the iPods earplug in your navel? Its kinda hurts at first but man does it ever keep that belly-hole clean!

Having it placed there has prevented me from being mugged so far.

[crazy]

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture