homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Please get off the couch every now and then. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Please get off the couch every now and then.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 13:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
What gets me about that is not that you need one liscence per computer, but one liscence per processor! Nowadays, it isn't uncommon for a computer to have more than one processor. Then of course, you can include all the other processors in your computer (keyboard, GPU, etc.).

Also, it says that you can't be connected to more than 5 other computers to share files. It seems to me that Microsoft has become quite the overbearing mother.

Most keyboards don't have processors. Unless we're going back to the Commodore 64. [Wink]

The purpose of the "cannot be host for > 5 computers" deal is because they want you to get a 'server license' for your XP if you're going to use it for more than 5 people to get files/data/print from, etc.

Overbearing and stupid anyway, yes, but that's their thought process.

* NB: I wouldn't put too much consideration into MS' thought process, afterall, these are the people that thought a talking paperclip that was too ambiguous to be useful for anything was a good idea.

*again, I find myself hugging my linux boxen*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 14:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
What gets me about that is not that you need one liscence per computer, but one liscence per processor! Nowadays, it isn't uncommon for a computer to have more than one processor. Then of course, you can include all the other processors in your computer (keyboard, GPU, etc.).

Also, it says that you can't be connected to more than 5 other computers to share files. It seems to me that Microsoft has become quite the overbearing mother.

Well ooby, if you notice, I used the EULA is from the home edition, which doesn't support multiple processors anyhow. I also think that if you have more than 5 other computers in your home, you are probably going to want a better server OS than WinXP home anyhow.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 15:26      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of licence agreements.... The Service provider agreement has a "right to copy" clause. This means I have the ability to copy any and all APPLE SW for service and internal Use. This agreement comes a t prety hefty price tag per annum, 1500$ CAD.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 16:34      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
... the ability to copy any and all APPLE SW for service and internal Use....

'Internal use'....I am assuming Apple provides you with some sort of lube so you don't hurt yourself....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 08:53      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have we missed something obvious? Nobody in their right mind would use Dreamweaver to make a web page! I don't care whether it's free or not... I wouldn't use it if you paid me.

So, he "needs" umpteen thousand dollars worth of crapware... why? Because he can't manage to edit HTML by hand? Maybe he needs to find a different career.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 09:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Have we missed something obvious? Nobody in their right mind would use Dreamweaver to make a web page! I don't care whether it's free or not... I wouldn't use it if you paid me.

So, he "needs" umpteen thousand dollars worth of crapware... why? Because he can't manage to edit HTML by hand? Maybe he needs to find a different career.

At least he's not trying to get Frontpage... [Wink] .

Sadly, our webmaster uses Dreamweaver to manage our site. So sad. I do pure HTML in vi - the results are much cleaner and simpler. Now I just need to absorb more from my O'Reilly CSS book, and start using that. However, I really don't care nearly as much about presentation as I do about content - these days, most of my HTML is generated by Perl code I write, rather than static pages.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 09:42      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Let me preface this by saying I don't particularly like Dreamweaver...

Dreamweaver has a time and a place...

Recently I was forced to use it to build a new website for the company I work for...only problem being that the boss wanted the ability to edit and create new pages on the site :shudder: . Macromedia Contribute was the end solution for him due to it's integration with Dreamweaver templates and editable regions...tight control over editable regions and a friendly gui for him to play with without damaging the site. (I'll also say that this was a big improvement since the boss originally insisted on the site being built in Frontpage since "that was he was familiar with" [Roll Eyes] )

Moreover, even though I'm sufficiently familiar with html, php, and a bit of css, I'm far from a wizard. DW made the development process quick and simple for this particular situation, and I repeat for this particular situation...

All that to say, I think Dreamweaver has two places:

1. In a situation like the above (plus the boss had major issues with handcoding...Future management being his main "reason" which of course if false in the case of the proper use of css, php, etc but watever)

2. For Newbies who don't know any better [Razz] (though I find it hard to believe that someone in this category would shell out the $399 for the software)

Someday, when things are a bit less busy at work I'll try to convince the boss to redo the site again...properly [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 11:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

At least he's not trying to get Frontpage... [Wink] .

Sadly, our webmaster uses Dreamweaver to manage our site. So sad. I do pure HTML in vi - the results are much cleaner and simpler. Now I just need to absorb more from my O'Reilly CSS book, and start using that. However, I really don't care nearly as much about presentation as I do about content - these days, most of my HTML is generated by Perl code I write, rather than static pages.

Exactly. VIM + Apache + (PHP or mod_perl, preferably mod_perl, and SOMETIMES C) + w3c's source validation is all I need for my website programming.
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 13:24      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You know, you're absolutely right. Dreamweaver is piece of shit, but having been [spoiled] on a graphical editor, I don't wanna hand-code. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by MacGenius:

Stealing a stupid little screenshot that can be made with the press of a button for a joke earns me a place in jail right?

It certainly does.
Someone else took the time and resources of their own to create that screenshot, and if you are unable to reproduce it yourself, then you must give credit where it's due. If I recall, the screenshots in question were of a very old Apple system, of which you didn't have access to.

I do have that machine, only I don't have a keyboard for it and thus can't use it (it's too old to have ADB). Now, that screenshot was the basic, Apple, GUI nothing special. So the guy who made it should also go to jail for showing Apple's GUI on his webpage??
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 25, 2004 13:28      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also ,guys, if you would'nt insult me, maybe I would respect your opinions. Just a thought.

I didn't mean to insult anybody, certainly not Snaggy. I like JoT just as much as the other guy. Maybe more. But the quality of the GC forums don't match that of the comic, and I think that it's because people post crap like this (and that Snaggy actually encourages them to do it). Don't get me wrong, this is not my forum and I don't make the rules, I was just sayin'...

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 14:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also ,guys, if you would'nt insult me, maybe I would respect your opinions. Just a thought.

So, you respect the opinions of people as long as they like everything about you, or keep quiet about things they dislike about you? I think that speaks for itself.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 15:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I didn't mean to insult anybody, certainly not Snaggy. I like JoT just as much as the other guy. Maybe more. But the quality of the GC forums don't match that of the comic, and I think that it's because people post crap like this (and that Snaggy actually encourages them to do it). Don't get me wrong, this is not my forum and I don't make the rules, I was just sayin'...

Listen up arsehole. No one is forcing you to come here. I think many of us would happier to never see a post from you again in fact. If you don't like here, take a flying fuck at a rolling donut......the rest of us will get along just fine without you.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 15:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I left that Cosmic Bong around here somewhere .......

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 15:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't happen often, but I agree with the cap'n. If you don't like us and you think the quality of the board is bad, then don't use it. It's a pretty simple logical deduction.

That's like me saying, "I HATE FORD!" and then walking to the dealership and picking up a Focus. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 15:39      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
That's like me saying, "I HATE FORD!" and then walking to the dealership and picking up a Focus. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

It makes perfect sense to me *confused* [Confused]

[Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 25, 2004 17:32      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he is a masochist, and this is how he gets his jollies. [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 07:33      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

So, you respect the opinions of people as long as they like everything about you, or keep quiet about things they dislike about you? I think that speaks for itself.
NO! My point is that if you want to teach someone, you don't call him an idiot. I guess that's self-explanatory?

quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:

[Confused]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 07:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGenius:
[qb] Also ,guys, if you would'nt insult me, maybe I would respect your opinions. Just a thought.

NO! My point is that if you want to teach someone, you don't call him an idiot. I guess that's self-explanatory?
Pot calling kettle black.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 09:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what if they are an idiot?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 17:07      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:

[Confused]
What is there to be confused about? A masochist is a person who derives pleasure from being abused by other people. Apparently you are bent that way since you seem to keep coming back over to these forums and provoking people. This in turn produces abuse towards you. If you are not having fun, stop doing it.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture