homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Please get off the couch every now and then. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Please get off the couch every now and then.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 12, 2004 14:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
480-pound woman dies after six years on couch

Gayle Laverne Grinds died following a six-hour effort by rescue workers who struggled to lift the 480-pound woman and get her to a Martin County hospital.

Unable to separate the skin of the 39-year-old woman from her sofa, 12 Martin County Fire-Rescue workers slid both onto a trailer and hauled her behind a pickup to Martin Memorial Hospital South. She died a short time later.

Full story here

Posts: 8101 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 14:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so sad.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 15, 2004 12:14      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let the crap come...
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 15, 2004 13:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacGenius:
Snaggy, where do you pull up these horror stories from?
Seriously, if someone would repetitively post stuff like this on my forum, that person would get banned. [Razz]

If somebody used an screenshot that was not his own yet claimed it was; I would ban them. [Razz]
Posts: 5846 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2004 18:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no!!!! **GASP** Banned from your forum? I'm horrified at the thought - I don't think I could sustain life after that. Oh wait, yes I could.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2004 18:24      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That story is amazing!

--------------------
There is nothing like what I have become.

Posts: 35 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 06:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure 'amazing' is the adjective I'd use.

Perhaps 'disheartening'? Maybe 'unsettling'.

When your body begins to graft itself to the fabric it's on, and you haven't moved off of it even to go to the bathroom, that's just wrong in every possible way. Excuse me while I go throw up now.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 12:06      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Snaggy, where do you pull up these horror stories from?
Seriously, if someone would repetitively post stuff like this on my forum, that person would get banned. [Razz]

If somebody used an screenshot that was not his own yet claimed it was; I would ban them. [Razz]
GMx, could you just lay off it? I mean, it's only a fscking screenshot, no intellectual property, don't tell me you've never stolen software of music? Who gives two rats shits if I _do_ lie about it?

And I don't want to bash Snaggy. My point is that any idiot with a computer and modem and some basic skills can make a shitty website with all kinds of hoax stories. Do people believe these??? Some even pride themselves on battling for who can print most outrageous stories.

(Google for F*cking Village (with the *) and Aussie Rat Tail Holiday BBC)

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 12:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who gives two rats shits if I _do_ lie about it?

I do. [Razz]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 13:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Who gives two rats shits if I _do_ lie about it?

I do. [Razz]
So do I. Anyone who advocates piracy and/or plagarism is a piece of sh*t in my eyes. That's all there is to it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 07:46      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pull your head out of your own ass, dude. This coming from someone who whines that there aren't any security locks on the Apple Display.

Um.

How bout the back pedestal???

And don't tell me you've never pirated software.
I can tell you that I've never stolen anything from other artists of webcomics when making mine, or used anything on my websites that I didn't make.

It's a goddamn screenshot.

After two years, you still linger on crap like that.

You're a sad little fuck, as uilleann would say.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 08:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me in assisting you in the process of 'dragging up two year old shit', but would someone care to tell me what we're all arguing about?
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 08:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And don't tell me you've never pirated software.

That's a rather crass assumption: why should you think others might adhere to your warped thinking / practices? (Before you start accusing me of slandering you willy nilly, I contend that your comment above is the only justification I need.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 09:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and quoting uilleann as some sort of insult is just plain lame.

It is pretty obvious, MG that people here have respect for dman's tech skills (and dry humour), and absolutly zero respect for you.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 09:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya darn tootin'

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 09:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
So do I. Anyone who advocates piracy and/or plagarism is a piece of sh*t in my eyes. That's all there is to it.

.. and being that a fair share of us, being computer geeks, may very well be computer programmers, it might be common sense to figure that we're probably a lot more anti software piracy than most?

Maybe I'm wrong on that too. [Big Grin]

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 09:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No, after two years I still linger on the fact that you're still an asshole, which you've so ably proven.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 19, 2004 12:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad. It's amazing what people can end up doing to themselves, amazing and sad. When I rode ambulances I was once called to a condo owned by some people who hadn't thrown a thing away in decades. The place was full of trash up to my head, except for these little trails that they used to get around. How anyone can choose to live in such a way, or how family members can allow such a thing to happen, is beyond me.

MG: I suggest you look into evaluating a site's credibility before dismissing a story as crap. Snaggy linked to a newspaper, not some sort silly tabloid, and sensational as it is, it was not written in a sensationalistic style. I also suggest going back into lurk mode until you understand that anything that has the slightest hint of bashing on Snaggy or Nitro isn't going to be tolerated around here. We love our benevolent dictators, yes we do.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 12:50      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a story about it on MSNBC and on the Imus In The Morning program.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 12:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

No, after two years I still linger on the fact that you're still an asshole, which you've so ably proven.
 -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 01:53      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
MG: I suggest you look into evaluating a site's credibility before dismissing a story as crap. Snaggy linked to a newspaper, not some sort silly tabloid, and sensational as it is, it was not written in a sensationalistic style. I also suggest going back into lurk mode until you understand that anything that has the slightest hint of bashing on Snaggy or Nitro isn't going to be tolerated around here. We love our benevolent dictators, yes we do.

Here here!

On topic though, I honestly can't feel sad for people who do such things to themselves. Doubt anyone stood with a gun to her head and forced her to sit there and eat for six solid years...

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 06:48      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

.. and being that a fair share of us, being computer geeks, may very well be computer programmers, it might be common sense to figure that we're probably a lot more anti software piracy than most?

Maybe I'm wrong on that too. [Big Grin]

Yeah, but where do think I can get $4000 to buy all the software I need? I'm a student, for gods sake.

quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
....and quoting uilleann as some sort of insult is just plain lame.

It is pretty obvious, MG that people here have respect for dman's tech skills (and dry humour), and absolutly zero respect for you.

Who cares?

quote:
quote:

Are you ok?
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 06:56      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait. care to explain why I'm an asshole? Because 5 different people are flaming me?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 07:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, but where do think I can get $4000 to buy all the software I need? I'm a student, for gods sake.

What do you need $4000 worth of software for? Especially as a student? [Eek!]

But it doesn't make it any better, thats like me stealing a laptop because I'm a student. It isn't any different because you can get it off the web, you're still stealing something that people have worked on. I bet you'd be pissed if you made something and then had people take it from you. You complain about the cost - software companies need to recoup the money they invested so they have to raise the price of the copies that were actually bought, so by engaging in software piracy you are forcing the price up for legitimate users.

Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 10:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but where do think I can get $4000 to buy all the software I need? I'm a
student, for gods sake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about the 'lucrative business' you're starting that's supposed to 'make $6,000 a week.'
/me smells a sugar pill spammer.... [Wink] .

Or by 6,000 'dollars' per week, did you mean HUF6,000, which is USD$29.36?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture