homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday is Root Beer Float Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday is Root Beer Float Day
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 05, 2004 11:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles/1/020927-4711-141.html

Heh, note the Steve Wozniak in the article... nope, not that Steve Wozniak
[Razz]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 11:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yummmmmm...........!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 14:17      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMMmmmmmm... I tihnk I may start celebrating early.... Bring me that ice-creamy-root-beerish goodness.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 15:09      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can a fellow GC-er with a transatlantic breadth of knowledge help me out?

- is root beer the same thing as ginger beer?

[Confused]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 15:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell is ginger beer?

We have Ginger Ale (Canada Dry) But Root beer is more like Coke, only sweeter......I couldn't tell you what root it was made with, and I am pretty sure I don't want to know.

Regardless, it is damn good.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
s4 leko
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 15:15      Profile for s4 leko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not the same as ginger beer, though I can't actually explain it to you, if you've ever had birch beer it tastes a lot like that.
I doubt when they make it these days it has any natural flavoring in it, sort of like orange soda compared to orange juice.

Cap'n Vic: ginger beer: imagine eating raw ginger, now make it clear, yellow, fizzy, possibly alcoholic, put it in a bottle and drink it instead. I've tried different brands of different intensities and my favorite is made by goya.

oddly enough i have a friend who I call Cap'n Vic... could there be a connection... [Confused]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 15:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by s4 leko:
oddly enough i have a friend who I call Cap'n Vic... could there be a connection... [Confused]

There can be only one!

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 16:45      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger Beer is one of the most vile concoctions I've ever tasted. Root Beer is somewhat like Sarsaparilla . The flavor's from the bark of the sassafras tree. I think. [Confused]

Edit: Everything you need to know is here. The wonders of Google.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 23:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
What the hell is ginger beer?

We have Ginger Ale (Canada Dry) But Root beer is more like Coke, only sweeter......I couldn't tell you what root it was made with, and I am pretty sure I don't want to know.

Regardless, it is damn good.

I had a root beer based Jolt once (when they still sold it here) and it tasted to me like a cross between creaming soda and ginger beer.

And ginger beer and ginger ale are a little bit different. I can't remember the difference exactly, but ginger beer > ginger ale

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 23:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vernors is a cross between ginger beer and ginger ale. I remember having many Vernors floats growing up. These days I prefer Canada Dry Ginger ale as it is sweeter and smoother and makes a good mixer.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 05:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great mysteries of our modern age.
Why has the US invented so many completely repulsive sweet fizzy dark brown soft drinks? And why does anyone drink any of them more than once? How on earth has Coca-Cola become the most valuable brand on the planet?

Maybe because contrary to myth, you can actually fool all the people all the time.

PS Re Coca-Cola, there is a big banner at Athens Airport saying words to the effect that Coca-Cola is hugely excited to welcome you to its Olympic Games. I hope this piece of corporate hubris backfires on these smug parasites.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 05:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Why has the US invented so many completely repulsive sweet fizzy dark brown soft drinks?

Because some country put outrageous taxes on tea. [Razz]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 05:59      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Great mysteries of our modern age.
Why has the US invented so many completely repulsive sweet fizzy dark brown soft drinks? And why does anyone drink any of them more than once? How on earth has Coca-Cola become the most valuable brand on the planet?

Maybe because contrary to myth, you can actually fool all the people all the time.

PS Re Coca-Cola, there is a big banner at Athens Airport saying words to the effect that Coca-Cola is hugely excited to welcome you to its Olympic Games. I hope this piece of corporate hubris backfires on these smug parasites.

Because kids love stuff that sweet. And once you grow up with that stuff, it's not gross anymore. Which is basically why people still buy American beer or English food.

Oh, that, and the fact that coke/pepsi is the primary source of caffeine. Iced tea (yes, there are people who drink it cold, and the farther south you get the sweeter it gets until it's stronger than coke will ever be) doesn't have very much, and Red Bull, Bawls, etc. are very expensive and generally only available at convenience stores (not to mention that Red Bull tastes horrible). A lot of people don't like coffee, and even those who do tend to only drink it in the morning or when preparing for an all-nighter. So we're going to be stuck with the brown sugar water for a while, yet.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 06:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homemade root beer contains yeast, minimal sugar (about one cup per gallon), root beer extract (McCormick's is really good!), and water. Mix it up and set it in the sun for a day. When bubbles gather near the cap, it's finished. Refrigerate and enjoy!

I don't have time right now to get the exact measurements, but I can give you the recipe later if you want it. It's easy, fun, and delicious!!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 08:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are in a in a mad scientist/mediaeval alchemist mood, then making home made ginger beer is fun too. There is also a nice little frisson of danger from the distinct possibility that some or all of your bottles may explode! And it is seriously delicious on a hot day.

Google "ginger beer plant" if you want to find out how.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 09:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Vernors is a cross between ginger beer and ginger ale.

[Eek!] Wow! I never knew that. I'm a Vernors fan, big time. It's nice becuase it's fizzy, but not sweet like most pop, and not alcoholic like beer. Not much a fan of alcohol.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 10:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla Coke. All the way. No matter what you all say. Yum.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 12:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Vanilla Coke. All the way. No matter what you all say. Yum.

Agreed. Vanilla Coke is very nice (diet vanilla's not bad either, when you can get it). Actually, I cheat, since Aldi's store brand cola is actually pretty good, I buy that for home, and add vanilla myself whenever I have a can.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 14:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you are in a in a mad scientist/mediaeval alchemist mood, then making home made ginger beer is fun too. There is also a nice little frisson of danger from the distinct possibility that some or all of your bottles may explode!

I can vouch for that !
If you have a choice, don't keep the plant in the house, garages are the ideal place. /me once had to mop the kitchen ceiling after a ginger beer mishap. [ohwell]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture