homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Steve Jobs has cancer surgery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Jobs has cancer surgery
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2004 08:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article linked at Google news about Steve Jobs having surgery for pancreatic cancer. p2p article

Not familiar with this news source though.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2004 08:22      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just did a Google News Search for Steve Jobs Cancer and it looks like this is legit.

Interestingly enough, the second (main) link summed up the Apple-doomsayers nicely... "Jobs cancer scare shakes Apple" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2004 09:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, Reuters is running the story now.

quote:
"This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas," Jobs wrote in the e-mail. "I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was)."

He added that he "will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments."

There's a far more common form of pancreatic cancer which is not curable and carries a life expectancy of around 1 year after diagnosis. This is not, repeat not, the same thing Steve has.

No word on where to send "Get Well Soon" cards, flowers, etc.

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2004 15:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jobs gets an unusually easily curable cancer.
Bill Gates would get a particularly hard to cure virus.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2004 15:38      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
[QB....No word on where to send "Get Well Soon" cards, flowers, etc. [/QB]

You could always send an Apple iCard .
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 10:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

(Score: +5, Funny)

[Razz]

Sadly, I think less people would care if Bill Gates was diagnosed with a flesh eating disease that gave him 3 hours to live.

... wait. He already has a flesh eating disease. Unfortunately, it just eats everyone around him.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 15:14      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Arf!
One way ticket to hell, sir?
[Smile]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 15:38      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that he gets better soon.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 16:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dunjamon:

I agree, but seriously for how many people here like me was their first reaction the deeply unworthy one of a shudder at the thought of Apple without Steve Jobs. [blush]

Well yes, and I did feel quite ashamed of myself....

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 16:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by dunjamon:

I agree, but seriously for how many people here like me was their first reaction the deeply unworthy one of a shudder at the thought of Apple without Steve Jobs. [blush]
Well, my first thought was "Wow, this is a well executed hoax!". It's sad when the hoaxes come so thick and fast that you don't believe it when the real thing comes along (cf: The boy who cried "Wolf!")

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 05, 2004 01:21      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gasp* What?! Hey-- *gasp* I'm a little shocked here--!!

I wouldn't have known about it without the JOT comic. I've even got a mini-poster of him on on my wall, so I'll be thinking of him tonight. His mom (not the biological one) died of it, you know.

Who would've thought, while he's had that nutty no sugar no meat diet like his for so long? A few weeks ago, an 80-year old relative of mine died of cancer, even though he followed a healthy, organic diet for about 30 years.

Now that Steve's got it too, from now on, I'm going to do what I've always been doing: eating what I want. But now I'm going to feel good about it instead of bad!

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture