homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Geek lifestyle causes myopia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek lifestyle causes myopia
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 08, 2004 12:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to popular belief, people in east Asia are no more genetically susceptible to short-sightedness than any other population group, according to researchers who have analysed past studies of the problem.

The epidemics of myopia in countries such as Singapore and Japan are due solely to changes in lifestyle, they say, and similar levels could soon be seen in many western countries as lifestyles there continue to change.

"As kids spend more time indoors, on computers or watching telly, we are going to become just as myopic," says Ian Morgan of the Australian National University in Canberra.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996117

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 08, 2004 12:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to increase the font size in my browser, I could barely read that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 12:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Children now spend much of their time focusing on close objects, such as books and computers.

Quick, burn the books! We can't have our children harming their precious vision.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 13:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems nowadays, you can't even turn around without reading 300 different things that will:

kill you
give you cancer
make you impotent
make your children deformed
make you deaf
make you blind
make you stupid
make you ugly
make you smell

etc.

... If we spent our entire lives worrying about all that junk, we'd never live our lives out like normal, and I say, what's the point in living a life that you can't enjoy?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 14:20      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myopia is mostly the change in the length of the eye. That is why people who wear glasses start wearing them as they are growing up. It is widely accepted that the most prominent cause is hereditary, not environmental.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 14:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Myopia is mostly the change in the length of the eye. That is why people who wear glasses start wearing them as they are growing up. It is widely accepted that the most prominent cause is hereditary, not environmental.

Psst........Snup is standing right behind you

/me runs for cover

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 14:47      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awe, I was blind as a bat long before I became a geekette. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 14:59      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
It seems nowadays, you can't even turn around without reading 300 different things that will:

kill you
give you cancer
make you impotent
make your children deformed
make you deaf
make you blind
make you stupid
make you ugly
make you smell

etc.

... If we spent our entire lives worrying about all that junk, we'd never live our lives out like normal, and I say, what's the point in living a life that you can't enjoy?

Reminds me of a satire some of my friends made
(I posted it here , QuickTime MP4, 12MB)

AnyoneEB
Mini Geek
Member # 1456

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 08, 2004 15:02      Profile for AnyoneEB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, wait, reading will make me more nearsighted? Cool!

(Note: I'm farsighted.)

--------------------
"What do you call someone who only speaks one language? American"

Posts: 50 | From: Somewhere in the 4-dimentional time-space continum | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 15:24      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when the news was on how the germs from flushing your toilet would get on your toothbrush and kill you.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 15:46      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Psst........Snup is standing right behind you

/me runs for cover

Heehee...no, I actually agree. One is born with a certain shape and length of the eye-which determines either nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or a combo of all 3(it's possible to be nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, and you can have astigmatism combined with either of the other 2 or alone).

I'll have to read the article, though.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 15:49      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my parents are myopic--so are my brother, my sister, and I. I just happen to be the worst in my family.

My left eye is -7.00, my right eye is -8.25. I guess you could say I got a genetic double-whammy.

Is anybody worse than I am?

P.S. It's been clinically proven that research causes cancer in cats [Razz]

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 15:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I remember when the news was on how the germs from flushing your toilet would get on your toothbrush and kill you.

I heard about that study-it was about E-coli getting onto the toothbrushes in the same room(as well as the towels you wipe your face with-yuk!). But then they did an experiment with toothbrushes in another room at the other side of the house, and there were still traces on the brushes. Isn't E-coli basically all over, Biology Geeks???

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 03:10      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
(it's possible to be nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, and you can have astigmatism combined with either of the other 2 or alone).

Yup, that' s me. Mildly farsighted in the left eye, nearsighted in the right. Let me tell you, binoculars are a pain for me to use... [ohwell]
I'm kind of glad I've had to wear glasses all my life -- no one can accuse me of ruining my eyes by watching too much TV when they're already screwed up, can they? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 04:04      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
quote:
(it's possible to be nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, and you can have astigmatism combined with either of the other 2 or alone).

Yup, that' s me. Mildly farsighted in the left eye, nearsighted in the right. Let me tell you, binoculars are a pain for me to use... [ohwell]
Same over here. Should really be wearing glasses but I can never find the damn things, plus I broke the latest pair tripping on the ledge outside college when I really should have been looking where I was going [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 04:16      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

My left eye is -7.00, my right eye is -8.25. I guess you could say I got a genetic double-whammy.

Is anybody worse than I am?

Is that for specs or contacts? I know there is a slight difference, something to do with focal length, at least that's what my opthalmist told me.
I'm -6.50 in the left and -8 in the right so you got me beat there, but that is for contacts.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 04:30      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Orignally posted by Stibbons:

Should really be wearing glasses but I can never find the damn things

Once your eyesight gets really bad, you have to work to a plan. My glasses are always in one of three places: on my face, on my bedside table or in the bathroom sink. If I put them anywhere else I would be really stuffed because I can't see them when I put them down.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 05:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm the fortunate one. My father wears glasses... (something really strong in his right eye, and moderate in the left.)

My mother wears glasses, but very very very minimal ones, because her eyes are *just* bad enough to cause her to have a headache because of the strain without them.

My sister wears glasses.

My vision at last test when I was 18 was 20/10. The doctor said my vision over my life time would probably deteriorate TO 20/20, so I'm hoping I'll be OK.

I was absolutely amazed.. I've spent approximately 10-16 hours a day in front of a computer almost every day since I was about 8 or 10 (I'm not kidding) and I'm 21 now.

Even now when a bus comes down the road, I'm telling the people at the bus stop with me the bus' route number, long before they can even begin to read it.

I guess I just got lucky on that particular piece of genetics.

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 12:02      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

I heard about that study-it was about E-coli getting onto the toothbrushes in the same room(as well as the towels you wipe your face with-yuk!). But then they did an experiment with toothbrushes in another room at the other side of the house, and there were still traces on the brushes. Isn't E-coli basically all over, Biology Geeks???
Well, the 5-second rule is definitely not true...http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/16/five_second030916

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 13:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think for a second that's going to stop me. [Smile]

And I quote Mr George Carlin:

"If I drop something, I pick it up and eat it!

Even if I'm outside!
At a sidewalk cafe!
In Calcutta!
During a soccer riot!"

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture