homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » iPod Spy? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPod Spy?
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 07, 2004 14:53      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iPod as Security Risk?

I think this is getting towards the height of paranoia...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 19:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's more BS from the biased anti-Apple press. You could use any portable drive to put something on a computer, but they mention the iPod because they've never wanted to see Apple succeed, so they'll do anything to put them down. Another example is a recent NY Times article that was critical of the iTunes store, saying that AAC's compression sounded bad. They mentioned some of the other stores, saying their compression codecs weren't very good either, but they put Apple and the iTunes store in the opening paragraph and the headline.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 19:09      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so in addition to trying to undermine George W. Bush, the liberal media has it out for Apple too?

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 19:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got 256M of flash on a string round my neck, a laptop computer that I connect to the company lan during the day and carry home at night, a CD burner and floppy drive on my desktop, and ftp/telnet access into the company network, and they run Windoze on their servers.

But an iPod would be a security risk.

Yeah, right.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 19:38      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I've got 256M of flash on a string round my neck, a laptop computer that I connect to the company lan during the day and carry home at night, a CD burner and floppy drive on my desktop, and ftp/telnet access into the company network, and they run Windoze on their servers.

But an iPod would be a security risk.

Yeah, right.

Heh, yeah, very similiar to what I was thinking.

What GMx said is so sadly true, and pointing the finger at Apple is simply ridiculous. Honestly I'd find it more convenient and discreet to use a usb flash drive, one of which I, like TFD, carry regularly if I were so inclined to make off with data. (Not to mention the fact that my iPod is formatted for Mac anyway and all the PCs at work are running windows)

Damn the media [Mad] [shake head] [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 20:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What irks me about that, is any company that is worth stealing from will also have those systems locked down enough to not allow a standard user to install drivers for a portable hard drive.

I also have to say that the big mp3 player strung to the computer would be a lot more conspicuous than a flash drive or floppy. Or even e-mail.

They point the finger at Apple when it comes to the iPod and iTunes since at the moment they are top of the heap. If the Nomad was number one, they would attack it by name.

I also have the flash drive, remote access, a laptop and the password for the routers and web server. If I wanted what they had, I could get it.

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 20:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
What irks me about that, is any company that is worth stealing from will also have those systems locked down enough to not allow a standard user to install drivers for a portable hard drive.

I also have to say that the big mp3 player strung to the computer would be a lot more conspicuous than a flash drive or floppy. Or even e-mail.

They point the finger at Apple when it comes to the iPod and iTunes since at the moment they are top of the heap. If the Nomad was number one, they would attack it by name.

I also have the flash drive, remote access, a laptop and the password for the routers and web server. If I wanted what they had, I could get it.

CommanderShroom

Haven't you heard of the stories of people stealing Office X from compusa using their ipods?
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 20:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I haven't. It makes sense that they could pull info from a Mac. This is pulling direct from a hard drive, right?

I was thinking more from the Windows side of it. Considering a larger group of companies use that rather than OSX.

I know that there are Macs on business LAN's though I don't think they have reached major player status.

Thanks for the info.

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 20:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CmdrShroom - yeah, the drivers are all there, and in OS X, applications are supposed to be self-contained in a special kind of folder that bears the extension ".app".* When such a folder is double-clicked, the default action is to execute a specific binary inside (the context menu lets you browse the folder, though). As such, you can swipe a proper Mac OS X application, like M$ Office v.X, by just dragging the "Office v.X.app" 'file/application/package/folder' onto your iPod. No special extensions, shared libraries, DLLs, resources, it's all there.

Done.

One of those times when a case of good engineering by Apple might almost be a bad thing [Razz] .

(Also, my apologies if you were familiar with some of this stuff - I fear I may have wrote with the wrong audience in mind, after dealing with another thread much of the day.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 07, 2004 21:04      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
so in addition to trying to undermine George W. Bush, the liberal media has it out for Apple too?

Yeah, right, the "liberal" media. Actually it's more the business reporters for the media.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 21:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUOTE----- Also, my apologies if you were familiar with some of this stuff - I fear I may have wrote with the wrong audience in mind, after dealing with another thread much of the day. -----Quote

That is fine. I only understand OS9 and OSX well enough to be dangerous. So lessons into the inner workings are very helpful.

I do have a question along the same lines. Can this be prevented on a Mac system? I mean, can you keep general funtionality and stop the ability to pull things like that from a system?

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 21:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know enough about X myself to speculate fully. My general knowledge of operating systems with networking and privileges tells me there must be an option to disallow the mounting of external volumes. Furthermore, such a method would be how you'd probably stop someone from mounting a key/drive on Windows. XP & 2000 have USB Mass Storage drivers built in, so you really wouldn't be able to stop it that way, I think. I haven't done anything special with privileges, and none of my users are power users or administrators, and they can all use USB keys. In fact, I want them to be able to, and I encourage it, as opposed to floppy disks...argh. I'm tired of recovering data off floppy disks.

I'm also tired in general, so I think now is time for a dragon sleep cycle [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 07, 2004 22:41      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[ohwell] Unfortunately, the situation is they "should" ... but something always goes wrong.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 07, 2004 22:47      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, forgot something. [evil]

A guy I heard about, he would use HyperTerminal and a Null-Modem cable (RS-232, etc) to off-load system data.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 02:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
A guy I heard about, he would use HyperTerminal and a Null-Modem cable (RS-232, etc) to off-load system data.

Huh? How does that work? He'd have to bring in a device with a serial port on it - what was he using? (I'd have thought that carrying a computer into work was pretty bleedin' obvious.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 07:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps an old laptop. I would assume that ASM's point is that they thought they'd locked their systems tight enough that people couldn't offload data.

Crossover cable, anyone? Or the wicked cool straight-through -> X-over adapter that my boss made for me [Big Grin] . [Cut one patch cable, and then punch it down to a jack according to the reverse scheme (i.e. we use T568B, so we punch down to T568A on the jack)]

--------------------

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 12:52      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What irks me about that, is any company that is worth stealing from will also have those systems locked down

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... [Big Grin] [crazy] [shake head]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
djbrez
Newbie Larva
Member # 1376

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 18:50      Profile for djbrez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone used gotomypc? we use it in lieu of vpn now, as it very effectively bypasses our firewalls. imagine what they must think of that...
Posts: 7 | From: Carol Stream, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 16, 2004 11:51      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News Item:
Los Alamos lab again missing computer disks with classified data
Two disks are missing from the Weapons Physics division inside the lab
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,94586,00.html

[ohwell] yup, anyone with "information worth stealing" .....

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 12:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
News Item:
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,94586,00.html

I guess I have to retract my ealier statement officially. I work for a little hole in the wall school district and we are constantly doing scans for holes inside and outside our network. edit: This also includes the social engineering angle.I am often surprised at the lack of care people put into something as neccesary as security.

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 15:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
News Item:

Yup, it amazes me how slack some places are with stuff that really needs to be locked down tight.

btw - notice that the easy way to steal data (I'm betting it's not stolen, just misplaced, it'll probably turn up in some managers desk drawer) is to simply pick up the CD and walk out the door, no iPod required.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 15:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't be bothered finding te link- it's prolly on fark somewhere, but the MOD have said it's rubbish. They don't ban ipods, like they don't ban floppies.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 16:45      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who works for CSOS, carries around a laptop around with remote access to GCHQ servers, and an iPod is a security risk? Seems to me that someone in media is trying to find themselves a story.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 16:54      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of when Furbys were banned from all government buildings.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 17:02      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a bit OTT

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture