homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » HOPE 5 - NYC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HOPE 5 - NYC
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 06:13      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else going to HOPE 5 next weekend? I'm not staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania, but a few blocks away since they told me they were full when I called (apparently you can still get rooms through Expedia though, which I didn't know.)

One of the keynotes this year is Woz, along with Kevin Mitnick and Jello Biafra.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 08:28      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't heard of HOPE before this thread...looks interesting and I'll have to look into it maybe for next year...

I am hoping to be at Defcon this year though...best of all, expenses payed for by my employer. [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 08:29      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could, I've always wanted to go to one but never have the funds or time to make it. [Frown]

someday...

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 05, 2004 08:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<troll post>Jello Biafra? I hope the place has wheelchair ramps. How is he still relevant? </troll post>
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 05, 2004 08:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cool SupportGoddess! I saw that earlier this month and wanted to go, especially with Woz giving a keynote... fun!

/me imagines SupportGoddess entering the conference.
crowd screams... "OooOOooOo ... It's the Kill Bill Too chick!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 09:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mitnick would be cool too!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 09:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa...cool. Maybe I should go Saturday - assuming there will be any space to actually see Woz. It's $50, which is a little steep, IMHO (I'm going to LWE for free [plus travel expenses, except when in NYC]), but it might just be worth it. Otherwise, I'll just have to come in and listen to a blow-by-blow description of it from an eye-witness [Smile] . I might just do the latter anyway [Razz] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 05, 2004 12:00      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey that sounds cool!

Maybe I could go for a bit on Friday... unless Actors' Equity really does go on strike, in which case I might be free for more of the weekend.

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 15:45      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the speaker schedule, Captain Crunch is supposed to talking about "Phreaking in the Early Days" on Saturday morning. I think I will drag myself out for that, no matter how late the night before was.

Spiderman - oooo, I'm so jealous. No defcon for me this year, and they have added some really cool stuff too....

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 16:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it is Cap'n Crunch (part of where I stole my name from) from the cereal with the 2600 Hz whistle that allowed him to phreak.

More!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 23:39      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Draper's home page refers to him as "Captain Crunch" so I am assuming in is used interchangeably.

So [Razz]

[Big Grin]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2004 23:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the same link

-

Anywho, I was going by the cereal which contained the whistle that caused so much trouble.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 10:12      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to go, but I can't really afford to go (and I was really hoping I could, this year)

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture