homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Changes to IRC (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Changes to IRC
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 07:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you know, SlashNET recently switched over to a new IRC server progam (Unreal ircd instead of Cyclone). As part of this change, cloaking is now done differently – it is automatically enabled for all users on all servers by default, as mode x. This means that no-one needs to set themselves as mode +z any more when they connect. In fact, mode z is now a channel mode restricting the channel to SSH users only.

Along similar lines, the new server seems to have stopped setting Snak users to mode +s, so you need not worry about that either (the old server would give Snak users lots of annoying server messages unless you turned mode s back off).

There is also an issue affecting NickServ registration – some people need to receive an e-mail to collect a new password or something. I am not sure on what this was about, though, as it did not affect me.

For more information, see SlashNET’s upgrade information page. For example, you can now connect to the network over SSH.

The IRC guide will be amended accordingly.

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 08:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean +z is for *SSL* users only...

Otherwise, right on the money.

I think +T is also spiffy - disallows CTCP connections.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 20, 2004 09:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that ui.. I was wondering what was up. [Smile]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 10:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, SSL. But then, what are “CTCP” connections? There is no such thing – direct client to client connections are done through DCC, which you turn off in your client. CTCP messages (time, ping, userinfo, version, etc) can also be turned off in the client.
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 14:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God I don't do IRC, or I might have to understand this arcane bollocks!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 15:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secure Socket Layer isn’t “bollocks” or “arcane”, it is rather useful actually – it is what gives you protection during secure Web connections (https), secure access to your machine (Secure Shell - SSH) and a secure connection for other protocols, and now secure IRC connections. While most of its uses are generally only used by technical folk, secure HTTP is necessary for online shopping, Internet banking and other related activities.

CTCP is Client to Client Protocol, and lets an IRC user find out information about another user and his or her machine, such as their IRC client version and their local time. CTCP is also used for pinging people to measure network lag. Some people like to turn this off in their client, but I leave it on.

DCC is Direct Client-Client connections, permitting users to establish direct connections to each other, bypassing the server. These are used for file transfers and for private chats; most private chats are relayed through the server, but messages in DCC chats are sent directly to the other person’s machine.

IRC is not really that strange or difficult – just takes a little bit of time to get used to it. There is always the Geek Culture Guide to IRC for those curious about the subject.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 15:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want another pointless argument with you, so sure, if you say so Uilly.

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 15:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it depends on which client you use that determines whether it seems difficult at first.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 16:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. I think all IRC clients are pretty quirky in the end – I have yet to see a truly intuitive one designed to offer both a straightforward and clear interface that also retains plenty of freedom, although AthenaIRC is one of the nicest to start out with (and hopefully its Mac OS X replacement, Minerva, is just as good or better). Whichever one you use, you have to face at least one of weird set-up dialogs, strange menus, funky window content like channel mode displays and command toolbars, and lots of IRC jargon that means nothing to beginners. None of it is particularly hard, it simply looks hard at first. When I first started out (on a friend’s recommendation) with ircle, I just remember a sort of confused feeling while it went bling and stuff, and there were all these weird switches on the screen. I still to this day cannot recall how I found myself in Undernet #surrey and no-one there can recall either.

JoyChat might make the basics easier, but it also stunts your exploration of IRC through limiting what you can do, and the best way to learn is to explore for yourself. Hopefully it is not still as bug-ridden as it used to be, either.

(Aside: the IRC guide is now updated for Unreal ircd)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 17:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I don't want another pointless argument with you, so sure, if you say so Uilly.

I'm addressing this one to uilleann, actually. Uilleann - Callipygous said nothing about SSL or the like, he just made a very generalized, off the cuff comment about IRC in general, and did not merit such a retort.

I'm going to follow his lead, and let this one die, as it's really not worth fighting over trivial stuff.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 00:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if that's true, you're a pretty sad little fuck Callipygous to wander into random topics and insult them. But then, I should have expected something that low from this place - just amazing I suppose that it wasn't snupy this time.

It is probably time I disowned it for real, and the satellite pages along with it (why hasn't Snaggy pwned all my IRC pages, too? He was happy enough to take over the album). Remind me that if I ever try to post another useful topic that I'll be greeted merely with condescension and insults.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 00:35      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Well if that's true, you're a pretty sad little fuck Callipygous to wander into random topics and insult them. But then, I should have expected something that low from this place - just amazing I suppose that it wasn't snupy this time.

It is probably time I disowned it for real, and the satellite pages along with it (why hasn't Snaggy pwned all my IRC pages, too? He was happy enough to take over the album). Remind me that if I ever try to post another useful topic that I'll be greeted merely with condescension and insults.

I've tried to be nice and understanding in the past, but one too many of these sort of posts piss me off.

uilleann, grow the fsck up. The world isn't out to get you, and if you perceive it that way, it's because you act in such a disagreeable way that people treat you badly in response. It's mighty rich for the king of the hissy fit and quiet (or not so quiet) sulk to call someone else a "sad little fuck". Let alone taking a chance to have a shot at snupy, who had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 00:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

The thing with uilleann is that he is a social retard. As you can see from his recent posts He feels the need to come in here and fly off the handle every now and then. You see, he lives in a cave (probably with his parents) He never goes outside (see recent pic of d-man and him underground) and he has no human friends. His longest running relationship is with the palm sisters, he has grown quite fond of Rosie, but switches to her sister if his RSI begins to act up. Uilleann is the Al Gore of GC; he thinks he invented this place, and all of us inside maybe even the whole internet. He is probably actively persuing a cut of the swag sold in the GC store, not to mention the buckets of cash that S and N reap from banner ads and memberships. Sadly though, one day his passing will go unnoticed, just another lonely, bitter old man.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 01:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should all back off Uilly, if he has personal problems, they are just that, personal to him. They don't affect us. He has made it very plain he is not interested in advice, only in support, so nothing can be achieved here.

As Anakin's says "Get back to your drinks - Jedi business"

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 21, 2004 05:19      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The moral of this episode, of which we would all do well to take note, is that one man's bollocks are another man's... um... no, this metaphor isn't really going to fly is it?

(ps hi Uille)

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 09:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neko:???????????????

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 09, 2004 07:50      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what's up with uilleann, Capnvic's post was largely right-on.

He just can't be happy ever, he goes sulking away for months, and when he returns to see that his precious photo gallery has been supplanted, he puts up a fuss.

????

I don't get his IRC guide either - it's like someone is such an idiot that s/he needs a guide for Joychat???

Now he's gone away to sulk and isn't a superfan any more. Good for him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 08:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Partially for completeness - I never supported JoyChat originally, but I felt that I had to be fair to Tut and at least include some information on his program as well.

Besides, it might seem an obvious program to use for you, but one of the biggest failings of us computer types is to assume that what is logical to us is also logical to the non-computer-savvy. After all, to those familiar, IRC is a pretty trivial system to understand, but it's not obvious at first. The other nice thing about linking the JoyChat walkthrough with the IRC guide is that it may help people see how JoyChat fits into the grand scheme of things, and then they can see how they can go beyond it to more advanced clients and explore the IRC world. After all, there is more to IRC than the #joyoftech channel.

How about seeing it from my perspective. I was trying to bridge a gap between the savvy and non-savvy, but needed feedback and information from other IRC users and potential IRC users, and even when I posted asking for some, I got absolutely nothing. Thus, it's a bit unfair to blast what I've done when no-one actually provided any feedback at the time that would have helped me improve the service.

It's not perfect, but it's hopefully a good effort under the circumstances. You're more than welcome to offer the new Satellite Pages Webmaster, Tut-an-Geek, polite feedback about the IRC pages, although it's really the viewd of newcomers which would be the most useful regarding things like JoyChat.

As for "gone away" - I do not go away. I am always here if you look for me. If you don't see me, you evidently didn't try hard enough. (Big Hint™ - e-mail, private messages, AIM, ICQ, IRC private messages... except not most of the above until I can repair Firetrack's file system).

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 08:25      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/sticks head into forum, sees flames and realising he isn't wearing an asbestos suit goes off to the less controversial topics such as abortion and gay marriage

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 10:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't frequent IRC at all anymore... I used to IRC like a madman, but I've learned that there's a LOT of fscked up people on IRC. Either trying to pick people up, or just hideously stupid. I've found with forums, (and I'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass here), people actually have to make some kind of effort in locating new posts, signing in, following conversations, etc, and trolls, stupid people, and people just generally trying to find a mate can be easily avoided.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 09, 2004 10:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget: asl?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 09, 2004 11:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe. Yes. That would be a prime example. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 14:52      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget: No... we're serious [Wink]
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 18:35      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises his hand* I know

He's 22/M/Ottawa

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 10, 2004 01:31      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
*raises his hand* I know

Think you've got a stalker there drunkennewfiemidget [Wink]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture