homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » My first Mac (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My first Mac
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 00:14      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first Mac is on it's way.

It's a Beige G3, with Jaguar(I know, I know, it's going to run hella slow) 4GB hard drive, cd, zip, ethernet, all that good stuff.

was $120 USD and hopefully well worth it.

Just ordered it off of ebay and it ought to be here in a couple weeks.

It's originally 96MB of RAM, but I got an upgrade of 128MB additional. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 01:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will run out of HD space almost immediately.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 01:38      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no question about that...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 04:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it won't be long until you want a faster one. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 07:01      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no question about that either...

already want a faster one...

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 16, 2004 08:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey cool Too Cool!

What's the MHz? Nitrozac used a 266 G3 desktop for a long time. [Smile]

You may want to find Panther, as I think you'll find it runs faster on that. (We run Panther on Nitro's old blueberry iBook and it's great.)

Welcome to the family!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 3 posted June 16, 2004 08:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dump OS X and drop OS 9.x onto it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 16, 2004 09:04      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eBay's a nice place to buy most things but I'm not so sure about computers. My sister got a computer off of eBay for only $200 but it came with several problems that cost a lot to fix. Or maybe that's because it was an IBM ThinkPad...

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 09:14      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=angel_dragon&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID

That'd be the item I bought.

Got the 128 MB additional upgrade, might get even more than that.

--------------------

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 09:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly suggest more RAM, at least 512 MB for OSX
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 16, 2004 09:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey too cool, our beige 266 died (power supply i think, or OS X killed it. [Wink]

, so maybe you can buy our RAM. I'll see what we have....

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 09:38      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who is selling it has some pretty good prices for the upgrades, once it starts getting too expensive, then I might look elsewhere.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 14:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm about to go home now...I hope I don't find my Apple's been ripped off [Wink] .

You pretty much have the exact same system as mine, it sounds like - though I got my for free from work, when we were throwing them out.

The monitor is huge, though:
 -

Let me know if you ever have a strange situation in which the whole system locks up after logging in - I have some links to KB articles somewhere that Red found for me.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 14:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the hard hat, Dman. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 14:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a side bar.....if anyone needs vintage Apple gear. Hardware or Software. Just ask, I have access to heaps of stuff we can make a deal.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted June 16, 2004 16:44      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PANTHER WILL NOT INSTALL on a Beige G3.... Jag is slow even with 512MB. Apple no longer supports the beige... I CANNOT GET NEW PARTS for it. Apple considers this machin OBSOLETE. it never hit the vintage list. BTW sending a care packge on monday... you will find some nifty and useful stuff in it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 01:17      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PANTHER WILL NOT INSTALL on a Beige G3....
It may be possible to get it to run using xpostfacto.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 06:56      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the purchase.

I still use a Performa 6400 at work with a G3 upgrade running 9.1 and an iBook at home running Panther.

The PPC is just too nice a machine to ditch, she has never gone down on me (which in computing is good [Razz] ) and I still prefer her to PCs running M$ XP.

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 14 posted June 17, 2004 15:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found a sweet Apple IIe, with external fan option, dual floppy drives and it even boots up!

Edit:

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 20:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry...double post.....don't mind the size of the pic above

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 00:34      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, yeah... what do I see looking at the picture? Macs proudly on display and a couple of Dells hiding under the desk! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I managed to rescue a couple of Mac Classics and a ClassicII from certain doom a year ago or so, but I'm having trouble locating a SCSI ethernet adapter so I can't get em on the net [Frown] The Mac Classic is far and away the cutest computer I've ever laid eyes on...

Oh, and another point... I've read loads of bunfighting recently between PC and Mac camps and usually I'm pretty pragmatic... I know Macs are better but PCs are cheaper and run the software I need for my job otherwise a 12" iBook/PB would be mine ... BUT ... all the Mac people seem to say "PC's are poo cuz Microsoft sucks!" ... well, I've got a PC, and I don't run MS stuff on it... *stands up and introduces himself to the group* "Hi, my names Dave and I've been Microsoft-free now for four months now. I'm just taking each day at a time but with the help of the Internet I know I can beat it"... [Big Grin]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 18, 2004 04:28      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a SCSI ethernet?
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 06:31      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dayna(Now Farallon err now Proxim) and Asante made SCSI ethernet adapters to be used on old macs. Small Dog had bought most of Farallon's wired products when they were bought by Proxim, but they don't have any any more.

All that I can find are CS or PDS [Frown]

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 18, 2004 07:24      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your alternative would be a Localtalk to Ethernet bridge (a box that connects these two types of network together). My memory of this stuff is getting a bit hazy, but I think some of these could bridge TCP/IP as well as Appletalk.

networking glossary:
Localtalk - type of network cabling that plugs into the printer port of old Macs (no snipes about it being proprietary, this was way before Ethernet was widespread/cheap)
Appletalk - the protocol Macs (used to) use for printer and file sharing

(edit) Or maybe run a PPP server on your (presumably broadband networked) PC and 'dial in' to it via a serial port connection from the Macs??

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 09:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look close, you will see a Mac Classic under my desk, bottom right corner. I hope to give it a Mac-quarium work over one day. [thumbsup]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture