homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Masturbation, religion, and corporate PR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masturbation, religion, and corporate PR
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 31, 2004 20:09      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd heard of the "God kills a kitten" campaign before, but had never paid it much attention beyond the obligatory chuckle or two. Never even bothered to check out the website behind it.

But it seems rumors of Operation Save the Kittens have spread to Japan, and today my wife showed me the original email. And we both laughed like crazy people, but not for the usual reasons.

Y'see, those little demons chasing that kitten are actually images of "Domo-kun," who for several years now has been the mascot for the broadcast satellite division of Japan's public broadcasting company, NHK (sort of our answer to the BBC).

If you look here you will see a little image of Domo-kun flanked by his friends, Taa-chan (a ferret who shares the same nickname as Danamomma) and Usa-jii (Old Man Bunny).

So now you know the truth, my friends. When God kills those cute little kittens, he does it with the help of Japanese public broadcasting.

But it seems that NHK is in the process of replacing Domo-kun with a new mascot, which appears in the upper left corner of the web site. Even the Domo World sub-site has been closed down, apparently forever. I can't help but wonder if NHK's decision to can Domo-kun has anything to do with his appearance as a kitten-killing monster.

My friends, there's only one way we can save Domo-kun from obscurity, and that's to prove that he's more popular than that generic cute thing they're replacing him with. Domo-kun needs to make more public appearances, and you know what that means.

If you believe in corporate mascots, clap your hands!

And to hell with the kittens...

Danapoppa

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 31, 2004 20:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! I wondered what those demonic brownies were!

-

Looks a bit like our old product "Coco the Chocolate Computer."

-

(yes, Nitro and I used to sell chocolate computers! [Eek!] )

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 20:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to posters on fark.com, they were the first website to coin "killing kittens", and use the domo-kun in that context. But there was a fair bit of lively discussion over it, and I wouldn't be 100% sure that they started it all.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 20:52      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Looks a bit like our old product "Coco the Chocolate Computer."

Not too surprising, Snaggy, since Domo is supposed to look like an ambulatory TV (with a built-in broadcast satellite receiver, no doubt). He's brown, I think, mainly to make him look more mammalian.

Danapoppa

P.S. Chocolate computers? Please tell us more about these confectionery CPUs!

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 21:01      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

According to posters on fark.com, they were the first website to coin "killing kittens", and use the domo-kun in that context.

Thanks for the reference, csk. I wasn't aware that Domo-kun was already so well known outside of Japan!

Danapoppa

EDIT: That reference led me to this image, which is pretty good. Domo is everywhere!

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 31, 2004 21:25      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE: After writing the diatribe that started this thread, I took a moment to read NHK's notice about the elimination of Domo World, which became official on May 31.

Apparently Domo-kun is not fated to disappear forever. NHK plans to open a new site, called the Domo Museum, sometime this month (I'll post the link when it appears). But it's clear that Domo is being relegated to the status of "past mascot," in favor of that Generic Cute Thing that they're trying to promote now.

Poor Domo-kun! Have the kittens won?

Danapoppa

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 00:46      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE #2: Danamomma has found a note in very small letters at the bottom of this Domo Mode site.
quote:
Domo and his friends, who have up till now been the mascots for the broadcast satellite division, have become NHK's official mascots as of this spring.
So Domo isn't being ushered into obscurity after all. He's moving up in the world, and taking his friends with him! And he's got this spiffy website that has a Japanese palindrome for a title and everything! I'm looking forward to Domo's upcoming exploits as the executive mascot of Japan's national public broadcasting corporation.

Sorry about the false alarm, folks. (Kittens, you've been granted a reprieve.)

Danapoppa

EDIT: You can find English descriptions of Domo and friends here.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 06:11      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danapoppa:
EDIT: You can find English descriptions of Domo and friends here.

Hmm... that's not English.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 06:47      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a little link that says "English" in the upper right corner of the image. Click it!

EDIT: Or are you talking about the quality of the English? [crazy]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 09:54      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

If that says "English" in any of the corners, then I'm in need of newer glasses.

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 01, 2004 10:42      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. You can't see it because you need to update your Flash Player! [Smile]

Time for a visit to Macromedia!

Danapoppa

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 10:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Danapoppa

Uhhhh, you think he wants Flash on his computer? Try again.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 11:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least it's not Java Script. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 17:03      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Good grief, dragonman, you make it sound like I knew greycat's preferences and intentionally suggested something contrary to them. Like I was a, a, a software pusher or something.

"Hey, greycat, just roll up that sleeve, I'll shoot you up with a little Flaaaash, everything be fiiiine, heh heh hehhhhh."

Nah, as a matter of fact I didn't even notice it was a Flash thingy myself. I've never had a problem with Flash, although I am vaguely aware that some people don't like it.

Unfortunately a lot of Japanese web designers haven't caught on to the idea that sites can and should be posted in Flash and non-Flash versions. It's part of the corporate-centric mindset, I think: if a corporation thinks something should be done this way, then the customers do it that way.

Danapoppa

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 05:32      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Flash installed on my i386 Linux systems at home. But last time I checked, there's no Flash plugin for mozilla 1.4 on HP-UX 10.20 on hppa, which is what I'm using here at work.

Web designers need to learn that the entire world is not composed of "Windows and Macintosh".

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 02, 2004 06:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Greycat, many corporate minds don't even know there's "Macintosh". [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 06:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Danapoppa

Flash isn't so bad. Not when you have the "click to play flash" Firefox/Mozilla plugin installed [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 06:56      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Good luck Greycat, many corporate minds don't even know there's "Macintosh". [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

You can say that again. More than once, upon telling a client that I use Macs, I've seen them looking at me as if I had an embarrassing social disease or something.

Danapoppa

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 02, 2004 09:03      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unfortunately a lot of Japanese web designers haven't caught on to the idea that sites can and should be posted in Flash and non-Flash versions. It's part of the corporate-centric mindset, I think: if a corporation thinks something should be done this way, then the customers do it that way.

Good thing that never happens in the IT industry outside Japan, right? [Wink]
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 16:22      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm sure that sort of thinking happens in corporations everywhere, nekomatic. Even Apple has been doing it a bit too much for my liking, recently.

But you'll notice that I said "corporate-centric mindset," not "corporate mindset." In Japan, it's not only the company suits that think this way, but the consumers as well. Japanese consumers really don't complain nearly as much, which makes it much easier for the corpos to fall into the habit of ignoring them when they do.

Once again, it isn't just Japanese companies that do things like cover up problems that should prompt immediate recalls. What I'm getting at is the reason behind the actions. Similar-looking phenomenon needn't necessarily have similar causes. [Wink]

Danapoppa

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture