homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Childless couple told to try sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Childless couple told to try sex
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 19, 2004 10:16      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno if it goes here or the joke bank [Big Grin]

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_957945.html

Didn't they ever wonder what those bits were for?

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 12:47      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I want to know is, why didn't the doctors ask them how often they were having sex earlier in the process? Thousands of euros later someone finally decides to ask. [Roll Eyes]

And I also wonder what his parents told him about the funny stuff happening in his pants when he was 13. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 12:58      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, more troubling may be what the woman's parents told or didn't tell her when she was a teenager. The guy wasn't the only one with funny stuff happening at 13.

Edited - thanks D'Man. That was one awkward post. Sort of appropriate. [Wink]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 15:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always good advice for any situation [Wink]

true story:

The mother of a woman I used to date found out where babies come from when the nurse in the maternity hospital explained it to her.

Ah, the joys of a "good Christian upbringing" !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 17:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw - did the fertility experts tell them to have sex, or did they tell them to get fscked ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 19, 2004 17:31      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Thanks for posting this, Stibbons. My bf in Leeds told me about it, and I didn't believe him!!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 18:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard stories about this sort of thing before, but haven't been sure if they're urban legends or not. Particularly disturbing were the ones were the couples involved discovered that they were, umm, putting tab p into slot a rather than slot v. Methinks sex would have been less of a pain in the arse from then on.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 20:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just remember the fact that George W. supports abstinence lessons as the only form of sex. ed. in schools...good plan, Dubya [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 21:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it would solve the problem of overpopulation...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 21:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
And just remember the fact that George W. supports abstinence lessons as the only form of sex. ed. in schools...good plan, Dubya [Roll Eyes]

For the record, when someone says that they only want absinence to be taught it usually means that the only form of birth control they want to be taught is abstinence. The specifics of how and why everything works should still be included.

Now I did say usually. Dubya might mean it a bit more literally. [Razz]

Also for the record, a good Christian upbringing doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will try to pretend sex doesn't exist. But there are extreme examples. Fortunately my family belongs to the school of thought that sex is a good thing and a way of expressing love for your spouse.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 21:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of birth control, I can't help but feel that the fertility clinic would have been doing the gene pool a favour if they'd just told that couple they couldn't help them.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 21:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like the Simpsons take on sex education "And now you've learn't how to do it, don't do it".

Despite being a Christian myself, and believing that the right place for sex is in a marriage, I don't think GW is on the right track here. Enforcing Christian morality on non Christians = double plus ungood. Plus, if it came down to it, if my kids were going to have sex before marriage, I'd rather they did it with protection than without.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 21:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

For the record, when someone says that they only want absinence to be taught it usually means that the only form of birth control they want to be taught is abstinence. The specifics of how and why everything works should still be included.

Now I did say usually. Dubya might mean it a bit more literally. [Razz]

Also for the record, a good Christian upbringing doesn't vecessarily mean that everyone will try to pretend sex doesn't exist. But there are extreme examples. Fortunately my family belongs to the school of thought that sex is a good thing and a way of expressing love for your spouse.

Yeah, and I understand both parts of the equation, but when no significant alternative information is provided, I think again of a quote I like to use -- a little bit of knowledge is a very dangerous thing. If, as you say, these kids are taught about their kit, but not about little things like condoms, there are a few charming possibilities that might ensue, ranging from unwanted pregnancy to STDs.

What's the right answer - I don't know...but I believe in the dissemination of knowledge, and people should know more, rather than less.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 07:00      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably preaching to the, err, choir here but this is an issue I take pretty seriously.

Preaching abstinence as the sole acceptable means of contraception is a horribly short-sighted policy which will lead to unwanted pregnancies and an increase in sexually transmitted diseases.

Teenagers talk to each other. They talk about lots of things, and sex is one of them. There is no conceivable (pun not intended) way you can prevent a normal, healthy, intelligent teenager from learning about sex except by placing him or her in isolation (e.g. a monastery or convent -- and even then I wouldn't place bets on it working).

Teenagers also fall in love (or at least infatuation) with each other. This is inevitable. No degree of "education" (brain-washing) can stop it; if heterosexual teens of opposite sex are able to interact at all, some of them are going to end up in love with each other.

Now, you take two teenagers who are in love with each other, and who have been receiving right-wing brain-washing which tells them that "condoms are bad; only abstinence is good". The question is not "will they have sex?" -- it is "when will they have sex?". And more to the point, "when they do have sex, will they use condoms?".

This neo-victorian practice of preaching unnatural abnegation of sexuality is barbarically cruel. It leads to a society of repression and violence, as the mind seeks ways to overcome the obstacles to happiness which ignorant but allegedly well-meaning elders have passed down from their own tormented upbringing. Some people are capable of discarding the nonsense they've been exposed to. Others are not; they live with psychological scars that may never heal.

Sex is the physical expression of love. It is the best thing two people can do for each other. But it is also an intimate exchange of fluids, and as such, it can lead to undesirable outcomes if the people who are doing it aren't cautious.

Please, use condoms. We need you, and we can't cure AIDS yet.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 10:46      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
On the subject of birth control, I can't help but feel that the fertility clinic would have been doing the gene pool a favour if they'd just told that couple they couldn't help them.

[Big Grin] LMAO!!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 14:13      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
given sex therapy lessons
Where do I sign up, I wonder?
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 16:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with snopes. I think it's got to be a hoax.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2004 02:30      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gone off snopes ever since reading their prissy response to the "who cares what you think?" story...
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2004 04:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their response was absolutely wrong in my opinion. The President may be the leader of this country, but he isn't any better than anyone else. The man stated his opinion in a way that wasn't offensive, so he wasn't showing any disrespect at all. Personally, I can believe that event happened.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2004 05:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Their response was absolutely wrong in my opinion. The President may be the leader of this country, but he isn't any better than anyone else. The man stated his opinion in a way that wasn't offensive, so he wasn't showing any disrespect at all. Personally, I can believe that event happened.

Quite agree.
I've always believed that in a democracy it's a citizens patriotic duty to criticize the government.

(But you all knew that already [Wink] )

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2004 08:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love the chance to take the Shrub out behind the barn for a good old James Caan, five dollar, garbage can beating.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture