homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Mac Trojan Horse Discovered...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac Trojan Horse Discovered...
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 12, 2004 12:34      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A mac specific trojan has been discovered, follow the link to find outhow to detect it and remove it.

http://www.intego.com/news/pr43.html

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 12:49      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It figures that this article contains the word "Microsoft".
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 12, 2004 13:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to maccentral, not that much of a trojan than an AppleScript under disguise. The guy who found it on Limewire (supposedly) thought it was a public beta of Office. (Yeah, of COURSE Microsoft distributes valid software on limewire. Idiot/liar.) One has to download it and run it to have one's home folder permanently deleted. I'd rather call the whole thing an anti-piracy trick. [Wink] [Razz] [evil]
Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 13:17      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
According to maccentral, not that much of a trojan than an AppleScript under disguise. The guy who found it on Limewire (supposedly) thought it was a public beta of Office. (Yeah, of COURSE Microsoft distributes valid software on limewire. Idiot/liar.) One has to download it and run it to have one's home folder permanently deleted. I'd rather call the whole thing an anti-piracy trick. [Wink] [Razz] [evil]

Yeah, that bloke deserves a heafty LARTing for being soooo stoopid.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 13:20      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Microsoft is turning over a new leaf

<random fact> Rapper Vanilla Ice has a leaf tattoo on his butt because he says that he is turning over a new one and wanted something to remind him of his new way of life </fact>

Going with the GNU GPL License and is beginning to release its software to the public...

Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 23:12      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How ironic.... I just came back from the movie Troy and came across this Trojan warning..... If you could get 'Helen' downloaded into my computer I wouldn't complain ; )

Cheers
TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 00:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
<random fact> Rapper Vanilla Ice has a leaf tattoo on his butt because he says that he is turning over a new one and wanted something to remind him of his new way of life </fact>

How often does one see ones own rear-end?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 00:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Depends on the circumstances, I guess. Perhaps Mr Ice is batting for the other side, and has more opportunity than most?

/not that there's anything wrong with that.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 01:26      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From Intego's news article:

This Trojan horse highlights a serious weakness with Mac OS X. Since it is built on a Unix foundation, it can run powerful commands very easily. These commands can delete or damage a user's files with no warning, and AppleScript offers no protection against malicious commands.

Phew. Glad it is all the fault of OS X/Unix. So Windows must be safe from weak ineffectual DOS commands.....Hang on, it just took me two minutes to write a .bat file that does exactly the same thing.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 05:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Probably as often as they stick a branch up it, replete with complementary leaves?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 05:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:

Probably as often as they stick a branch up it, replete with complementary leaves?
Vanilla Ice is in an Iraqi prison ????

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 07:06      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Number 2608:
Hang on, it just took me two minutes to write a .bat file that does exactly the same thing.

Ah, but did you get the icon to look authentic? That appears to be the important thing here, how could it possibly be malware if the icon looks ok ??? [shake head]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 09:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fishd:
quote:
Hang on, it just took me two minutes to write a .bat file that does exactly the same thing.

Ah, but did you get the icon to look authentic? That appears to be the important thing here, how could it possibly be malware if the icon looks ok ??? [shake head]
I won't say how easy it would be to work around that...as I'm a white hat [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 12:06      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will a .bat file run on a Mac?
/iggerant

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 12:51      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think it will. I thought it was specific to Windows dos.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fishd:
quote:

Oh, whoops, I'm sorry, I answered that question improperly the last time:
Correct answer: "Because lots of Windows users are very, very stupid, and will click anything they're offered. I mean, seriously dude, it's free - why would you not install free software man? [said with tongue planted firmly in cheek]"

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:47      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been out and about on that interweb thing and there are some strange and fiery places out there...

Which is possibly why GC suddenly starts to feel like home?

mehhh...

DM97, you are a very witty fella - but I guess you prolly already knew that...

L8R d00dz
[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 14:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The file is only 133k, which should be a tipoff that it isn't a Microsoft product. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 14:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
I've been out and about on that interweb thing and there are some strange and fiery places out there...

Which is possibly why GC suddenly starts to feel like home?

mehhh...

DM97, you are a very witty fella - but I guess you prolly already knew that...

L8R d00dz
[Wink]

Perhaps, and the sad thing is, I really didn't want to put that square bracketed disclaimer in there, but feared the flames that might ensue when people who can't recognize when I'm being just a tad flip. Hell, I wouldn't be around the people I hang around if they couldn't deal with it [Wink] . One of my friends occasionally has to do translation for another friend of mine, though [Razz] .

Me [with a grave tone]: So, blah-blah-blah, something not so great (or really cool happened).
Friend 2: Really, the so-and-so happened?
Friend 1: (said as she just about nudges/slaps the person): Nah, not really.

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 15:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great dialogue, I was so intrigued.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 15:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Great dialogue, I was so intrigued.

Naturally, because I'm just that cool.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture