homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Quitting the forums (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Quitting the forums
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 10:20      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More people would be happier if I left than if I stayed. I never wanted to be a troll:

"I am only what you made me. I am a reflection of you."
-Charles Manson

Frankly, I think some of you are very unkind, insensitive people. However, my first duty is to the happiness and protection of all other living things, and we are all better off if I am not here for someone who does'nt like me to say somthing harsh and for me to say somthing harsh back.

I wish you all happiness and good health, goodbye. [Wink]

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 03, 2004 11:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i guess I'll lock your account since you won't be needing it anymore. [Wink]

OK, thanks for all the fish!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 13:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 13:25      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention Manson, someone who takes no blame for what he did either. [Roll Eyes] You only have yourself to blame.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 16:35      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of all the trolls we dealt with you guys really thought that he was that bad?!?!?!?!

This saddens me.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 17:57      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who thought you were a problem? I love to hear about rail gun projects.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 18:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Out of all the trolls we dealt with you guys really thought that he was that bad?!?!?!?!

This saddens me.

Yeah, seriously - he annoyed me with some of the randomly pointless posts of his, but he wasn't an outright liar or anything. Besides, when he actually posted real stuff, I though he showed some pretty interesting ideas (and an outlandish one or two [Wink] [Smile] ).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 05:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't hang around with you on IRC, so I don't know if there is any back story to this, but given that one of the few things most of us have in common is the memory of being excluded from most of the popular groups at school, it is ironic to discover in our own club that events like this are handled with more than a dash of vindictive relish.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 05:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Cal.

Ok, so I know it's not so long since I strongly urged bull3t to fsck off and leave us alone, but there's a big difference between death threats and the kind of thing Lumina was up to.

As for Dr Cyclops, ok, his point was a bit hard to discern sometimes, but so what?

Can't we all just try to play nice for a while?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 09:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did everyone give up caffeine for Lent? Maybe that's what has made people extra cranky lately.

<hippy>Make love, not flame wars</hippy> [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 07:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did everyone give up caffeine for Lent? Maybe that's what has made people extra cranky lately.

Or maybe they just gave up decaf... [Razz]

I think it's the changing season. It's spring. Everyone loses their minds in spring. It's even worse than the holidays, and the full moon last night probably hasn't been helping.

Seriously though, I didn't mind Dr. C. Sometimes he's "holier-than-thou" attitude about Taoism grated on my nerves, but I figured he'd outgrow it.

The general aggression shown to newcomers of late had been making me more than little uncomfortable. I'm as guilty as the n00bs of some crimes, yet I get away with it on the grounds of seniority and being "everybody's favorite labrat". [Roll Eyes] People, it shouldn't be this way. We've all faced stigma, we've all been excluded, we've had to deal with the awkwardness of being a socially inept nerd. Why act like the pretty people we all spent our high school years hating?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 09:47      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole leaving thing really is getting silly again.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 11:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Seriously though, I didn't mind Dr. C. Sometimes he's "holier-than-thou" attitude about Taoism grated on my nerves, but I figured he'd outgrow it.

"Those who know don't talk.
Those who talk don't know."

No. 56-Tao Te Ching by Lao-tzu

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 12:21      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understand the whole "Proclaim that you all hate me, and I am leaving" thing. I mean, it is like you have to have the last word in something. Plus, when you do it the way Dr. C here has, you get nothing but insults thrown back at your last post. It is almost like you wanted them to trash you on the way out.

At any rate, it is sad to see someone go. Even if we pushed him out or not. I know I will miss his posts.

--------------------
Nayt: making interesting posts boring since Jan 02

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 12:26      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
The whole leaving thing really is getting silly again.

So now for something completely different...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 12:45      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macadddikt18:
It is almost like you wanted them to trash you on the way out.

of course, because it justifies leaving the forums. see, i was right all along, they were unreasonable, unkind and nasty.

all this, "i'm leaving, goodby cruel world", is just a big ego trip. if people want to leave, just leave. don't write a post about leaving, it's so boring and needy.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 13:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peraps, and just maybe I'm just crazy, Lumina and Dr. C are the same person two sides two the same coin. The intelligent and sometimes witty Dr. C, and then...Lumina. [crazy]

Okay, just a thought.

Back on topic: I dont see a reason for you to leave. Some of the posts that you share with us are in fact intelligable and others, well others are humorus. e.g. the rail gun thing, I thought that was pretty funny and it even pertained to the topic.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 15:25      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
all this, "i'm leaving, goodby cruel world", is just a big ego trip. if people want to leave, just leave. don't write a post about leaving, it's so boring and needy.

Actually I see it the other way around. I'm not interested with the "Hi, I'm new!" posts, because they don't really tell you anything about the poster. Also, I don't know if these people are gonna stick around for a day, a week or a year. OTOH, when people just disappear I wonder where they have gone.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2004 17:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sort of agree with littlefish. If regulars haven't posted in a while, I wonder what's happened to them. But intro posts can be good, too, if they give a bit of background about the person involved.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 05, 2004 01:55      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Callipygous I may be missing stuff that happened elsewhere, but I can't remember ever thinking that I'd rather somebody left the board... toned it down a bit sometimes, maybe, but not left. Who am I to tell someone else they can't post here? [Confused]
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 05:34      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<hippy>Make love, not flame wars</hippy> [crazy]

I gave up soda, only 1 week left!

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 05:54      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what were you doing with soda? lines of it? no wonder you are cranky [Wink]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 07:22      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Peebs, Xanthine, and the others... I didn't have a problem with Dr. C's posts. Maybe I'm in the minority, but given some other posts that come to light around here, I don't consider him a troll.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 08:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've got a few minutes while I wait for an experiment to run, so here's my take:

I may not agree with what you say, but I respect your right to say it. You can tell me whatever bullshit you want in an open forum such as this. I can choose to ignore it, and frequently will. You can make personal attacks on me, and I can choose to retaliate, or ignore them as I see fit. Fortunately, here on GC, the attacks are minimal, although there seems to be a growing (and IMHO distasteful) upward trend of vigilante justice on the n00bs.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet, and to be honest don't really care about peoples personal lives, as long as they are interesting to talk to, then I will. Teenage navel gazing doesn't do much to stimulate my interest, so I'll skip those posts. I doubt I agree with or even like 100% of anyones posts, but if we all thought the same life would be boring.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 08:19      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture