homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Yeah-uh! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Yeah-uh!
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 30, 2004 01:18      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been spending a lot of time with my friend Anthony and he says the catch phrase "Yeah-uh!" a lot, and now I say it a lot!!! [Razz] I'm sure that's happend to a lot of other people here. In the seventh grade, I asked my friend to sock me in the arm if I said, "Just kidding". I had a bruise by the end of lunch. [cry baby]
I used to say a lot of catch phrases throughout the years. Some I try to avoid saying because I get on my own nerves, and some of them become legendary:
*I can't help you with that* *Just Kidding!* *Nah!* *Whatever* *Meow!* *What's wrong with you?!* *Dear* *Super!* *It's all good!* *Squee!* *Moo!* *Wha???*
How about --You?--

--Yeah-uh!, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted March 30, 2004 16:19      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JuSt sO lonG aS yOu DoN'T TOGGLE TYPE tHesE cuTe
liTTle DIttIES aNd eMBed thEm in oUr BRAINS tOO! [devil wand]

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 21:32      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my personal faves (or hates, depending on mood, situation, repetiveness, you know) is: "How *you* doin'" ala Joey from friends.
Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 31, 2004 01:02      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, I say that all the time to my friends, but I said it even before I knew that Joey said it. I have another one:
That's Old School!
I'm starting to say it and it's starting to get on my nerves!!!

--Grr, C.P.

--------------------

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2004 07:39      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever notice, that the more you hang out with someone, you begin to adopt parts of their language? My friends say this one all the time, and now I say it too: whenever a situation crosses that certain line, we say, "That's not OK!" I'm also definitely guilty of using the word "wicked" way too much, but hey, it's such an all purpose adjective!!
Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2004 13:36      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weensicka:
Did you ever notice, that the more you hang out with someone, you begin to adopt parts of their language? My friends say this one all the time, and now I say it too: whenever a situation crosses that certain line, we say, "That's not OK!" I'm also definitely guilty of using the word "wicked" way too much, but hey, it's such an all purpose adjective!!

It's especially dangerous if you hang out with foreigners -- this is why I have a habit of saying "Bloody hell" even though I'm Amurrican.

I also have a very bad habit of picking up accents if I hang out with someone for too long -- if I talk with my Brit friends at all, I get asked, "Are you Canadian?" by everyone I meet for the next few days.

I guess American diction + English accent = Canadian.

--Flash, eh?

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 31, 2004 16:02      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the same things with accents. I watched Forest Gump one day and I had to shake the accent out of my mouth everytime I spoke! [Razz] But when I don't pick up an accent, I speak with a normal American accent. A lot of people tell me that I speak English very well. (I guess because that is my first and only language?) I do know some Spanish and Arabic, but not to the point where I'm holding a conversation.
(I know Sign Language, also, but that's not exactly going to effect my speach. [Razz] )

--Hey you guys!, C.P.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2004 16:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
It's especially dangerous if you hang out with foreigners -- this is why I have a habit of saying "Bloody hell" even though I'm Amurrican.

I also have a very bad habit of picking up accents if I hang out with someone for too long -- if I talk with my Brit friends at all, I get asked, "Are you Canadian?" by everyone I meet for the next few days.

I guess American diction + English accent = Canadian.

Or maybe you've just started pronouncing 'colour' with a 'u' ?

I also have a nasty habit of picking up the accent/speech patterns of those I'm speaking to. You should have heard me after 4 months in South America and 4 months in the USA/Canada, a strange mixture of spanish/southern-USA-drawl/yankee/aussie/quebec-french with a bit of Swedish thrown in (you meet a lot of Swedes in South America). By the time I arrived in London, no-one could pick where I was from.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 14:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent a semester in Da U.P. That's the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, to those who don't know. In essence, you can describe Da U.P. as "Sout'ern Canada mixed wit' Eastern W'sconsin, eh?"

Dey say it's amaizin' wut rubs off on ya, eh? 'ometimes I 'ven catch myself talkin' like I'm still from up 'dere. I alongate my "O's" and say aboot instead of about, even though it's been quite a few years. And, of course, there's always the trailing "eh?" that gets tagged on to many of my sentances now, without me even realizing it.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 14:23      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in London I wondered if I should start using the local accent. Would people somehow know I was American and laugh at me, would they think I was from different part of the UK since I wouldn't get it exactly right, would they not notice since London is such a big city anyway? I wish I had, at least once. It would have been fun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 16:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
When I was in London I wondered if I should start using the local accent. Would people somehow know I was American and laugh at me

Probably.

In my experience, most people are pretty crap at accents. If you're really bad (like Mrs Druid) people can't even guess which accent you're trying to do, (her 'Scottish' accent sounds like the Swedish Chef) and you have to be very, very good to fool people who actually have that accent themselves. Personally, I find foreigners trying to imitate the aussie accent really irritating, it always comes out sounding like a cockney who's spent too long in South Africa and/or County Cork.

When I was working in Manchester, I'd occasionally try to put on the accent for my workmates, it was so bad it had them rolling in the aisles.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 17:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If you're really bad (like Mrs Druid) people can't even guess which accent you're trying to do, (her 'Scottish' accent sounds like the Swedish Chef)

Hehe, now I'm reminded of Fifi on the afternoon radio show on MMM. The other announcers have made it into a running segment, her accent imitating skills are so bad.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 19:39      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
When I was in London I wondered if I should start using the local accent. Would people somehow know I was American and laugh at me

Probably.

In my experience, most people are pretty crap at accents. If you're really bad (like Mrs Druid) people can't even guess which accent you're trying to do, (her 'Scottish' accent sounds like the Swedish Chef) and you have to be very, very good to fool people who actually have that accent themselves.

I'm good enough to fool some Americans. I have no doubt that people who really have the accent would know it was fake. But I still think it would have been fun. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 21:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
***Hijack alert***

Years ago, I had broken up with this girl and I was delivering the last of her belongings, and a pipe bomb to her new place (damn, I am nice) anywho, I had a duffel bag with her stuff, and a 4 foot piece of wiremold (don't ask). I was walking in downtown Toronto on a hot and sunny day when I came to realize that people thought I was blind because of my dark shades and this white stick, which I then began holding as a cane.

It was kind of odd, how people looked at you thinking you couldn't see them....they'd even look out of the corner of their eye.

I can't explain why I did that, but I have never fogotten the day I was seeing through the eyes of a blindman.

Anyone who is actually blind, and reading this, take no offense, please.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 10:10      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the old saying about mirroring speech patterns being a sign of a weak mind? [Big Grin]
Personally, I think it's kind of offensive to try to copy someone's accent if you've only just met them. Some of my Japanese friends will occaisionally be tickled by the way I say a certain word or phrase, and will have great fun repeating it the way I say it.
Our local accent here in the Scranton area is listed as a entirely seperate dialect of English. After I studied Slavic languages, many of their influences on the local accent become very apparent. That tidbit does not make up for the fact that it's annoying as hell. There's a prominent local attorney on TV here all the time, and from all reports he's a brilliant lawyer. But listening to him speak is torture (lots of dis, dat's, deez, dose; and count: one, two, tree), he sounds like a complete idiot. Almost forgot about the universal "hayna"- a word with many more connotations than the obvious "ain't it".

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 13:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbonboy:
What's the old saying about mirroring speech patterns being a sign of a weak mind? [Big Grin]
Personally, I think it's kind of offensive to try to copy someone's accent if you've only just met them. Some of my Japanese friends will occaisionally be tickled by the way I say a certain word or phrase, and will have great fun repeating it the way I say it.
Our local accent here in the Scranton area is listed as a entirely seperate dialect of English. After I studied Slavic languages, many of their influences on the local accent become very apparent. That tidbit does not make up for the fact that it's annoying as hell. There's a prominent local attorney on TV here all the time, and from all reports he's a brilliant lawyer. But listening to him speak is torture (lots of dis, dat's, deez, dose; and count: one, two, tree), he sounds like a complete idiot. Almost forgot about the universal "hayna"- a word with many more connotations than the obvious "ain't it".

Heh - don't I know it - I have some relatives in Eynon...I hate that place!!!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:21      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up da Eynon? What are dey, cousints, erwat? Too bad Sugermans is gone, you could get a nice coffee dere. [Wink]

My father's side of the family lives in Mayfield. Luckily, I grew up in the woods about 30 miles north of there, away from any influence it might have had on my speech.

Eynon, though- cool, didn't think anyone outside "davalley" knew where it is.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:38      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbonboy:

I really don't do it on purpose, it just happens. [Frown]

In fact, in some cases I consciously try to avoid picking up people's accents, but it doesn't always work. I was working in a picture frame shop once when a couple of Scottish ladies with very thick accents came in. It was all I could do not to say "Oh, aye?" while helping them...even so, they still asked me where I was from.

--------------------
--Kryten, Red Dwarf

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:43      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't have that bad of a southern accent, but it really comes out when I visit my mom's relatives in Arkansas. The problem with a southern accent is that people tend to assume that southerners are blithering idiots just by the way we talk.
Come on, y'all...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine gives me crap about my "Pacific Northwest thing" and I have no idea what he's talking about. I know I use some regional slang like "hella" but otherwise most of what comes out of my mouth is either universal or "climberese".

I know Rochester NY had a speech pattern - it was quite subtle but present enough that people could tell I was from out-of-state, even though I knew what a "white hot" was (pork hotdogs, and yes, they are white). Long Island has a definite accent going, and so does Iowa. It's always amusing to go back to Iowa with my parents. As soon as we cross the state line they immediately slide into the Iowa drawl they grew up with.

Dman, do I have any weird accent going on??? Sometimes I wonder if I don't sound like some sort of bastard mix of upstate NY and western WA.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:49      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
A friend of mine gives me crap about my "Pacific Northwest thing" and I have no idea what he's talking about. I know I use some regional slang like "hella" but otherwise most of what comes out of my mouth is either universal or "climberese".

I know Rochester NY had a speech pattern - it was quite subtle but present enough that people could tell I was from out-of-state, even though I knew what a "white hot" was (pork hotdogs, and yes, they are white). Long Island has a definite accent going, and so does Iowa. It's always amusing to go back to Iowa with my parents. As soon as we cross the state line they immediately slide into the Iowa drawl they grew up with.

Dman, do I have any weird accent going on??? Sometimes I wonder if I don't sound like some sort of bastard mix of upstate NY and western WA.

All hotdogs(or most) are made mostly from pork...

I actually have a british accent, and that's why I'm the arse of jokes at school all the time... they think I don't pronounce R's and shit... they are all fools!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 14:57      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I always thought "hella" was peculiar to Northern California; I've never heard it much up in WA, really.

The real test: do you call carbonated soft drinks "pop" or "soda"? If it's "pop", then you're infected with the Washington accent. [Razz]
I can never bring myself to call it "pop"...it just sounds so juvenile.

--Flash; Q: How many Northern Californians does it take to change a light bulb? A: Hella.

--------------------
--Kryten, Red Dwarf

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 15:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called it pop until I spent four years out east. Now I call it either soda or pop.

Hella is all over the I-5 corridor. We don't use it much though.

I used it a coupe days ago. Can't remember the context, but I definitely generated some confusion.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 02, 2004 15:37      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That American diction + English accent = Canadian thing is very true. Me, I'm Welsh, but have picked up lots of American phrases and ways of saying stuff. Consequently I sound Canadian. That's cool though [Smile] I like Canada.

I also had three Canadian friends when I was 6 years old, and picked up their words. The accent never really left me. I don't sound Welsh, or English, or American or Canadian or anything really. Nothing definitive, just vaguely Canadian. I'd have liked a Welsh accent though, I don't feel that Welsh without one, though I am massively proud of my heritage. I pity the English... [Razz]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 15:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
The problem with a southern accent is that people tend to assume that southerners are blithering idiots just by the way we talk.
Come on, y'all...
[Big Grin]

Well, I like the Southun' accent, it's got a lot more character than that bland network standard so many merkins aspire to. Why would anyone deliberately copy their accent from The Brady Bunch?

But then, my own background is glaswegian/aussie, so I'm kind of predisposed towards the 'stronger' accents.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture