homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Did anyone else notice this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did anyone else notice this?
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 13:40      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on apple's website and I saw their copy of the famous macintosh 1984 commerical. But I noticed one thing:

The actress has an ipod?]
 -

So then I went to look on www.apple-history.com, which has another copy of the commerical, and she doesn't
 -

Did apple edit it into the picture?

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 13:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there weren't any iPods in 1984, I would say that it's a safe bet it was digitally added.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 13:52      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I see the link on apple.com?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 14:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'correcting' history, eh?

How very Orwellian of them.

/me has to go, client waiting in Room 101

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 16:25      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Can I see the link on apple.com?

Here is the apple link:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/1984/

And the one from Apple-History:
http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=1984&format=small

-mongoose!

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 16:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I think it was done to line up with the new ipods.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im suprised to see that no one has noticed (or posted about it at least) the refrence to the novel 1984 in which it is completly about the government survalence of its people and the controll of thoughts and actions. (the movie being played and the message it was delivering)

Really good novel.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Hmmm.......I wonder who wrote that book, 1984?.....Was it Eddy Van Halen??

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Im suprised to see that no one has noticed (or posted about it at least) the refrence to the novel 1984 in which it is completly about the government survalence of its people and the controll of thoughts and actions. (the movie being played and the message it was delivering)

Really good novel.

Have you seen that ad?

"Why 1984 won't be like '1984'"

\evil {spelling helps in comprehension}

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:28      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:

Really good novel.

As it turns out, this ad was released before 1990, in fact, just about arround 1984.
Guess what? People noticed. That's why it's such a good commercial, but thank you, captain obvious.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:54      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right.... didn't know that the movie was produced back then. thanks for point that out sarge.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 18:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Hmmm.......I wonder who wrote that book, 1984?.....Was it Eddy Van Halen??
I believe it was George W Bush.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 20:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
right.... didn't know that the movie was produced back then. thanks for point that out sarge.

So you're one of the few people who's never heard of Apple's famous 1984 commercial? Nor paid attention to the huge fuss made about the year *1984*, as in the year Apple released their computer, and with it, this ad.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 11:26      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing the commercial at its first broadcast (the Super Bowl, and I don't remember who was playing), and I distinctly remember thinking, "They've lost their minds."

And I was right. Anyone here ever used a 128K one-floppy original Macintosh? Yyyyyeah. It was not a peak computing experience, even for 1984. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Suffice it to say, they got much better.

"I have seen the operating system of the future, and its name is Macintosh."
-- Bill Gates, 1989

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 12:05      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't know there was a big fuss made, but then again that was also before i was born
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 16:00      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
didn't know there was a big fuss made, but then again that was also before i was born

I can say the same, here, <sarcasm> you should be disgraced of yourself if your a mac user for having no idea about the ad. </sarcasm>

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture