homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » XServe G5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XServe G5
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 06, 2004 11:40      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone guess these will be used in Virginia Tech esque supercomputer in the near future?

Amazing they got 2 G5s in a 1U enclosure (notice that there are 3 drive bays instead of 4, the extra space is for the air ducts.

Get youw pre-built bioinformetic system here: http://www.apple.com/xserve/cluster/wgcluster.html

More money that I want to spend, but probably not a huge drain for major research labs...

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zoaky
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1840

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 06:53      Profile for Zoaky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah looks great.. All I need now is something to put on it!

File sharing is great but why doesn't Apple use it's know-how to create an Ms Exchange killer a decent Office suite or even a high-end accounting package.. Something the everyday bods at XYZ Corp can use (reason for a company to switch).. Let’s get back into the business arena. Apple has created a niche for itself… but it’s only a niche

I mean is the Mac to remain a Windows networking parasite?

Apologies for the rant

Posts: 11 | From: I.o.M | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:15      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the reason is becuase in 1986-9 (im not sure which) Woz/Jobs and Gates made an agreement that no matter how similar the windows gui and the mac os were, apple would not sue microsoft as long as microsoft continued to create software for apple. I.E. internet explorer, and Office suit.

The agreement has its good and bads.
Goods/Pros:

apple doesn't have to bother with having to create a decent office suite (or any other software that the three had agreed upon) that would be compatible with a windows platform.

Bads/Cons:
it allowed microsoft to rape the idea of a good Gui and turn it into the most difficult gui for the end user to use and has only left room for Imporvement. perfect marketing tactics by billy. With this; it has pretty much left the apple in the dark to the common end user and revelolutionary concepts that microsoft is including in their up and comming gui's/os's have previously been seen in apple. Ex: digital rights protection.however the end user is clouded witht the over marketing and potential monopoly of the microsofty name.

Poor ignorant fools. A reveloution is in need.
Down with Microsoft!!!

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:53      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

*drools* I think I'm gonna have to get me a few of those when I get my own lab. [Big Grin]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture