homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » iPod Mini

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPod Mini
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 11:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd say the JoT was spot on, as it has happpened, the iPod Mini
I'm not quite sure if it's worth it, but it looks pretty cool. Apple.com practically got /.ed a few mins ago, so this is my first look at it, I've been following the news from macteens.net, as suggested by MacSlash.

Keynote summary from them:
http://server1.macteens.net/lite/
quote:

11:03 - Comes in colors. Aluminum. Anodized aluminum. Runs on mac or PC. $249. Shipping next month. Great second member to the iPod family.

11:00 - iPod Mini -Size of a business card. Award winning iPod interface. Have scroll wheel whic you just push on. Has hold switch etc on top. Supports FW and USB 2. Can charge battery from both. Both cables come with it. Comes with beltclip. Dock and armband. Blows flash players away. Steve is holding one up.

10:57: biggest chunk is flash players (of the market). sell between 100 and 300 dollars. 7% other hard disk players (which are going to be eliminated). Pay $200 for only 60 songs. 256MB. .8-1.2 inches. $199 or so. These are inconvenient. Bad user interface. Small display. "thumb thing". Introducing second member of iPod family to go after these guys. iPod Mini. 4GB. Holds 1000 songs. .5 inches. $249. Only $50 more than the others.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 11:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, now I shall weigh in a little more - I think it seems like a good MP3 player, but I don't really understand why I should buy it when I could get 11 GB more space for $50. It's 0.5 x 0.4 x 0.12 inches smaller than the iPod (although the delta on depth of the 40GB iPod is 0.23 in.). The belt clip is a good idea. Okay, I just printed out a box that's 3.6 by 2.0 (by 0.5 inches [imagined, no 3D printer here]) - and I know, it's sad, but I don't have a ruler, and my usual system of measuring things with Cat-5 won't work here. Looking at it, that's pretty damn small. I'd be tempted to get it for the secondary purpose of a 4 GB portable HD, but the iPod [full] has so much more room!

/me has a real chip on his shoulder about Apple's system of releasing overpriced products, and obsoleting them quickly, at the cost of the consumer. It's impossible to truly win when buying Apple products, unless you've got lots of money. If I'm going to get an Apple product, I want it to be a 12" G4 iBook - that's what I really want. If I actually buy one someday, heaven help Apple if they screw me over and obsolete it, or it gives me logic board problems like m4's been having.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 11:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve said it's about the size of a business card. I think the price is too high too. If it was $199 or $99 they would get even more people to buy them.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 06, 2004 12:20      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, Id spend the 50 dollars extra to get the 11 gigs of space and ignore the fact that its plain white and slightly bigger.
Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 12:41      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with GMx, i have the regular ipod that i got a year ago, i was thinking of getting this because it i thought it would be in the range of 99-150 dollars

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 13:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool little toy, BUT

what were they thinking when they set the price?????

You get 27% the storage of the 15G iPod, for 83% of the price.

At the moment, my entire mp3 collection runs a little over 20G, I could fairly easily trim that to 15G by deleting tracks I don't like. So, for $US 300, I can have an iPod that holds all the music I actually listen to.

Or, I can save $US 50, and have 1/4 of my music, which means I'm constantly attaching the thing to my mac and swapping things around, a right pain in the proverbial.

If they'd come in around the $US 150 mark, they'd have been walking off the shelves, even at $US 200, there would have been a lot of buyers, but when you can get so much better for only $US 50 more, I really don't see these selling well.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 14:01      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny rounding they do. They advertised my 5 gig ipod as 1000 songs too. Err i guess they use different formats and bitrates this time
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 14:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they do AAC back then? Didn't iPods used to use MP3? It was the dawn of iTMS that brought AAC to iTunes by default, I believe.

P.S. Relatively unrelated note: I just noticed that iTunes 4.2 (Windows) fixed a 'sort of' bug that was annoying the heck out of me - I use an Apple Pro Keyboard, and iTunes would steal the volume controls to act on itself, rather than affecting the system volume only. Now when I hit "Mute," it mutes the whole system, and likewise, hitting it again will unmute the system. This is a Good Thing (TM). Before, if I hit mute from Windows, and then went into iTunes, and hit the key, it would mute iTunes, rather than restore my sound. That was a Bad Thing (TM).

--------------------

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 14:24      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Did they do AAC back then? Didn't iPods used to use MP3? It was the dawn of iTMS that brought AAC to iTunes by default, I believe.

Indeed, my G1 10GB ipod got space for loads more when they introduced AAC, had to redo all my CDs though which was a bit of a pain.

I really like the new mini iPod, and the price tag is simply because you can probably buy the 15GB Toshiba drive for around the same price as the 4GB Cornice (sp?). Think of it in the same way as the price difference between a 2.5" and 3.5" hard drive for laptop / desktop. If you want the miniaturisation there's always a price & performance cost.

Personally I will be buying a blue one next time I'm in New York; The world & dog now has a 'normal' iPod and the price / colours of the mini will guarantee that much loved exclusivity.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 14:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it finally hit /., and I think this comment really hits the nail on the head about cost:
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=91762&cid=7894984

BTW, Allan - interesting post count - one more, and you'll have the megahertz count of one of my machines [Wink] .

--------------------

unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 06, 2004 15:30      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever happened to those little 4 GB drives that IBM was making @ 1"x1"?
Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 16:06      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree with the general consensus here that the 15 Gb iPod makes both the 20 Gb and the new podlet look poor value for money, we don't know what Apple plans to do with the iPod range in the future, and until we see them in the flesh don't know how cute or otherwise the podlets look. For what its worth, when the original iPods were first unveiled, I also thought it unlikely that something so small and expensive would have a significant market. So I'm not exactly a prophet.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 16:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone say cube?

For me it's the same as the machine I'm typing on. Steve thinks people are willing to pay a huge premium for something that looks great. People are willing to pay for something better than most (which is why macs work financially), but I don't think enough people will be willing to spend the extra $$$ on something that has less capacity, but is marginally smaller than an already small thing. I remember when the game boy got updated to the new form factor, how it felt too small for most peoples hands.

PS. I bought the cube when they were selling them off cheap, as no-one bought them and they were a discontinued model.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 18:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a good post here when you think about the general consumer. And my guess is many stores will ONLY sell the mini version.
IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 20:41      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the price- ouch

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 22:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
While I agree with the general consensus here that the 15 Gb iPod makes both the 20 Gb and the new podlet look poor value for money,

Actually, if you want the remote-control and dock, (optional extras with the 15, included with the 20) you're better off getting the 20.

I'm not sure if I'd want the remote, sure it's more convenient, but it robs those around you of the opportunity to admire your cool toy.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 04:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another factor, littlefish, for us in the UK - the exchange rate. If they sell the new jobbies for $249 in the US, hopefully, they'll pay some attention to the fact that the dollar has plummeted relative to sterling in recent months - with luck it'll market here for more like 149... but knowing Apple, I doubt it. They tend to go for exchange rate + %30 (another reason why I avoid them!) [Smile]

You guys just watch - when the price is announced in the UK, it'll be nowhere near the US price!

edit: just to illustrate my point...

price of 15 Gb ipod @ apple.com/uk --> 249
price of 15 Gb ipod @ apple.com ---> $299

so, what's the effective US price of UK ipod?

249 x 1.8 (dollar/sterling exchange rate) = $448

hey presto - a %50 markup!!! Still love Apple?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 04:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, same trick with the $AU price

15G Ipod = $449 Australian

$449 / 1.3 ($US->$AU exchange rate) = $345

Surprisingly, we're better off than the UK! [Eek!]

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 07, 2004 12:58      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the $50 will go towards a new wardrobe for Steve Jobs, let's face it, that look says "hey, I'm stuck in a time warp, and I have no time to dress for you Mac fans and media, and I couldn't care less about what's in style even though my company's marketing strategy is all about fashion trends." If the extra 50$ went to a spiffy new wardrobe it would be worth every penny! [Razz]
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Maybe the $50 will go towards a new wardrobe for Steve Jobs, let's face it, that look says "hey, I'm stuck in a time warp, and I have no time to dress for you Mac fans and media, and I couldn't care less about what's in style even though my company's marketing strategy is all about fashion trends." If the extra 50$ went to a spiffy new wardrobe it would be worth every penny! [Razz]

No, it goes to pay for all that bottled water. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo: lets do the same calculation factoring in the VAT.

UK price GBP 249 = 212 + 37 VAT
212 * 1.8 = $US 381
Still a 27% markup.

Csk: the aussie version becomes
$A 449 = $A $A 408 + $A 41 GST
$A 408 / 1.3 = $US 314
A 5% markup.

The UK really are getting ripped-off

[edit - the first version I had the numbers all wrong, hop I got it right this time]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

This reminds me of something that hapened yesterday at work.
We were looking at the apple website, admiring the new iPod minis, and wondering aloud who would buy them when you can get so much more for $50, and the one female present said "Women".

They're small enough to fit comfortably in a purse, they're nice and shiny coloured, they can be worn on a cord around your neck, they're almost a piece of jewellery.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out, will the bigger models become 'guyPods' and the little ones 'galPods' ?

If you put 2 together in a drawer, will they breed?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I thought the Australian ipod price already had GST included? [Confused]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
But I thought the Australian ipod price already had GST included? [Confused]

It does, the aussie price is $408 plus $41 GST.
In oz, prices are (almost) always quoted tax-included, 'merkins usually don't include sales tax (which vary from state to state) in the quoted price, so to be a fair comparison, you have to adjust the aussie price to pre-GST.

btw - I had the numbers wrong in that posting. I've fixed them now, we don't do too badly in oz.

btw2 - looking at the aussie/USD prices for the 15, 20, and 40

$US 299 -> $A 449 (ratio ~ 1.5)
$US 399 -> $A 598 (ratio ~ 1.5)
$US 499 -> $A 799 (ratio ~ 1.6)

The 40G model should be selling for about $A 750, not $A 800

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 02:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my analysis is a little bit unfair: yes, we are being ripped off here, but the ipod prices were set when the dollar was a bit stronger compared to sterling - Apple just haven't dropped the UK price since the dollar has slackened (I suppose you can't expect them to yoyo the prices up and down whenever the currency markets shift.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture