homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Where are all the geeky guys?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where are all the geeky guys?!
7seas
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 46269

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted March 06, 2012 01:31      Profile for 7seas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not an avid gamer, I definitely identify as a geek and I'm looking for someone similar. But I go to an all-women's college and dislike the jerks who are usually on our campus trying to pick up women, so meeting geeky guys is sort of a challenge. Where should I look? The local comic book store is super small and I've never seen anyone but middle school kids in there. Any other suggestions?
Posts: 3 | From: 01075 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 05:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try a few computer shops, some hobby shops.

Young lady welcome to our forums, others will be along in a while. I am the old fart.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 20:02      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, are all geeks required to be avid gamers? I guess I'd better turn in my ID card [blush]

Try quiet places, like the back corners of coffee shops and sitting anywhere in a bookstore? I may be way off base there, but if I were going to hang out it would be somewhere I could zone out.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1669 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 01:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Wait, are all geeks required to be avid gamers? I guess I'd better turn in my ID card [blush]

Try quiet places, like the back corners of coffee shops and sitting anywhere in a bookstore? I may be way off base there, but if I were going to hang out it would be somewhere I could zone out.

Dang it...you sized me up there pretty well. [Razz]

This geeky guy is otherwise at a loss for words. :/

Loosely related aside: Do any geeks around here go to computer stores these days?

Most people I know who are into hardware buy stuff from NewEgg. I'm not really into that sort of thing - I just have a reliable computer and get the occasional bit of storage media/external drives @ Staples. There's now a Microcenter in Yonkers but I still haven't set foot in it even though it's probably going on ~2 years old now. (A friend of mine introduced me to one on the island that's awesome, but I've only visited that twice half a decade ago.)

I do visit the occasional Apple store from time to time to try out new shiny toys, but the majority of the crowd there can hardly be described as geeky. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9208 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
7seas
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 46269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:58      Profile for 7seas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I really like the bookstore and computer store ideas.

Any tips on what I should actually do when I approach someone at these places?

Posts: 3 | From: 01075 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Gent here that would always reply, "Show up naked with beer".

Are you sure you want a GEEK. sometimes we can be high maintenance.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.