homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » I like geeky guys but....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I like geeky guys but....
Melie
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 43966

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 19, 2011 15:15      Profile for Melie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so other than I'm a bit of a biology/animal nerd and a photography geek, I have nothing to offer a geeky guy. Electronics practically commit suicide when I walk into the room, I don't speak computer, the last video game I played was Legend of Zelda because after that consoles got too complicated for me. I can't write source code or HTML and math is my worst enemy. So I have this shy little secret about me (that being the only shy thing because I am usually a pretty loud and outgoing person.) So my question is do geeky guys only go for geeky girls because they are shy any want to stick with what they know or are they willing to step out of their comfort zone and get involved with someone who is at the opposite end of the spectrum?

--------------------
What are little girls made of.....
Adenine, Cytocine, Thymine, and Guanine!

Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 16:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melie____ Welcome to our forums, I am the resident OLD FART" The others will come along in a while. It has been sooo long since I was a cellar dweller I am unsure as to the new and up comeing geeks. I am into amateur radio and computers, and almost all science things and reading.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 18:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm , saying there is a spectrum with two sides I think greatly misrepresents the variety of personalities out there. There is not, geeky or not geeky and descreet intervals between. There are hundreds of dimensions that you would have to use to represent a personality on a spectrum or graph.

but bac to your question.

yes.

-ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willing? Yes/probably.

I think really the most important thing is to accept the person as s/he is, and not try to change him/her. That is, if a geek is into, well...geeky things, don't be dismissive of that. That doesn't mean you have to love programming, grok source code, or be a gamer...it just means that you should appreciate the passion he has for that stuff, and smile & nod. [Smile] [Needless to say, he should do the same for interests of yours that may not thoroughly fascinate him.]

Given the regrettable paucity of geek girls (they're out there somewhere, though many are 'taken'), it's in the natural order of things for geeks & non-geeks to get together. Furthermore, it's been said for ages that 'opposites attract,' so yeah...if there's some geek guy out there you like, go for it! [Smile]

(Oh, and if you see him with an all text screen doing stuff, don't say "That's like DOS.")

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melie wrote:
my question is do geeky guys only go for geeky girls because they are shy any want to stick with what they know or are they willing to step out of their comfort zone and get involved with someone who is at the opposite end of the spectrum?

Any single geek worth dating is going to willing to date almost anyone who isn't obviously incompatible. You will find, however, that they are far more hesitant to make the first move and subtle hints are lost on them. Making the first move is good. At the very least, be blunt about wanting them to ask you out... "are you going to ask me out or do I have to be more obvious about wanting you to?" works.

Having said that, there are the proverbial basement dwellers out there who can't handle human interaction at any level beyond that of a ten year old. Most of them won't go out with you and that's probably a good thing because you probably don't want to date someone with a ten year old's mentality. Unfortunately you'll wind up dating one sooner or later. Hopefully you won't let the ensuing train wreck sour you on dating geeks.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Melie
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 43966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 20:14      Profile for Melie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Willing? Yes/probably.

I think really the most important thing is to accept the person as s/he is, and not try to change him/her. That is, if a geek is into, well...geeky things, don't be dismissive of that. That doesn't mean you have to love programming, grok source code, or be a gamer...it just means that you should appreciate the passion he has for that stuff, and smile & nod. [Smile] [Needless to say, he should do the same for interests of yours that may not thoroughly fascinate him.]

Given the regrettable paucity of geek girls (they're out there somewhere, though many are 'taken'), it's in the natural order of things for geeks & non-geeks to get together. Furthermore, it's been said for ages that 'opposites attract,' so yeah...if there's some geek guy out there you like, go for it! [Smile]

(Oh, and if you see him with an all text screen doing stuff, don't say "That's like DOS.")

oh don't get me wrong. Just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean that I don't find it interesting. I'd love learning new things and though I may not really get it, I'll try and have fun spending time with him.

--------------------
What are little girls made of.....
Adenine, Cytocine, Thymine, and Guanine!

Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 23:55      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your signature doesn't make you a geek, nothing will [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 00:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melie:
oh don't get me wrong. Just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean that I don't find it interesting. I'd love learning new things and though I may not really get it, I'll try and have fun spending time with him.

I wasn't attributing those [negative] things to you, simply offering ideas wrapped around a cautionary form of 'what not to do.' (Loosely derived from my own dealings with a certain someone with whom a good bit of chemistry exists, but which I thing would go terribly pear-shaped as a relationship.)

Plus, I second zsr's sentiment, all the more so based on your link in another thread. You clearly appear to be a clever one, with a healthy number of grey cells -- and you don't seem to be afraid to use them. That's a good thing. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 10:56      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geek guys tend to seek SOs with brains and interests (ie geeks). My VELP is the complete opposite type of geek to me, other than a shared love of Firefly. Like you she's hopeless with computers, thinks Farmville is the pinacle of computer gaming, and goes to sleep whenever I try and med geek her. However she loves her chemistry and oligonucleotide stuff (that sends me to sleep), and its the qualities of geekiness that attracted me to her in the first place.
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture